Knighthawk w/ Single Strap...replace?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do I understand that you are having problems adjusting the strap properly when changing to a tank of a different size? There's an easy solution. When the BC is on the tank, take a marker and draw a line on the strap. I use a paint pen. When you change to the next size tank, make another mark. I did this when using a 72 LP steel and an HP 80.

I also have a Scubapro Ladyhawk. The tank won't slip, but be careful, you can tear a big hunk of flesh out of your finger if it gets caught in the clamp.

I agree with Bratface and others that like the Scubapro camband. In fact, I would find it very difficult to justify buying a BC that did not have SP's tank band design as I have never had a tank slip using one & never felt it needed a second band. But I have seen many other designs fail in different ways. I haven't yet caught my fingers in the clamp but I do skin my knuckles from time to time!

Obviously people have problems with some single straps but they're not all equal, the Scubapro single strap is very secure. I don't think you'll find one more secure, and if your's isn't it's either threaded wrong, or it's new and you may need to wet the strap before use early in it's life, or it's not tight enough, or something.

One advantage of a single strap is that it fits better in the tank holders of some boats, when I had a BC with 2 straps the bottom one was often in the way.

I agree the Scubapro band can be a little trial and error to adjust just right but how often do you change tank sizes? Oh well, if you do need to adjust alot, marking the positions is the answer.

Thanks for the replies. I guess my issue was that I was not diving consistently with the same tanks. I help with a basic scuba class and there are a bunch of different tank sizes for the classes and I usually get what's left over after the students pick out the tanks they want. That being the case some days I would get an 80, sometimes 72, sometimes smaller, whatever the case may be. The tank straps that you feed through the buckle and cinch down before closing the clamp just seem to be quicker and easier to adjust for those varying tank sizes. That was really my own concern, more that I'm being lazy than anything.

I recently, however, got my own AL80 tanks and have the strap adjusted for those tanks, and you guys are right....it does feel secure when you finally get it adjusted right. I didn't have to get the strap wet and it was rock solid this weekend. I guess it's just a little learning curve (the BC is new to me) and I gotta quit being so lazy. Thanks for the hint on marking the strap w/ a paint-pen. Thats a great idea that I hadn't thought about.

a thought, if you are in a pool a lot helping with a class (at 0-24 dives, is that right?) you might look for a cheap used BC with easily adjustable straps, and keep your nice Knighthawk for your own diving. Since the chlorine in the pool is going to make your BC look like crap after awhile.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom