Kite Boarders on Bonaire - Concern?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rottielover

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi All,

I've read several threads here on Scubaboard, as well as on BonaireTalk about kite boarders and divers/snokler's ...

This will be my Wife and I's first time on the island, and I was wondering if any of you had some advice on this issue?

We both have 6' long and almost 8" wide SMB's that are dayglow orange on one side and yellow on the other, and I took a "magnum" sized sharpie and wrote DIVER BELOW on both sides of both SMB's (letters going top to bottom of course).

Do you think we'll have to be deploying these things all the time?

rottielover:
Hi All,

I've read several threads here on Scubaboard, as well as on BonaireTalk about kite boarders and divers/snokler's ...

This will be my Wife and I's first time on the island, and I was wondering if any of you had some advice on this issue?

We both have 6' long and almost 8" wide SMB's that are dayglow orange on one side and yellow on the other, and I took a "magnum" sized sharpie and wrote DIVER BELOW on both sides of both SMB's (letters going top to bottom of course).

Do you think we'll have to be deploying these things all the time?
Probably never...the kiteboarders are usually over at Lac Bay I believe and most diving is elsewhere..not really a problem..

oly5050user:
Probably never...the kiteboarders are usually over at Lac Bay I believe and most diving is elsewhere..not really a problem..
Actually, it is a problem. The windsurfers are over at Lac Bay. The kiteboarders are on the leeward side of the island.

They are supposed to stay around Atlantis, but they have been seen as far North as Tori's Reef. There have been several near hits as divers are surfacing in the shallows. My suggestion would be, if you see them at a site, pick a dive site a few North or South of them. You can also take a fin off and stick it in the air and wave it if you don't want to have to delploy your SMB.

If you do have a near "encounter" with a kiteboarder, call the Bonaire Marine Park office and report the time and location, they are collecting the data.

Have a great trip:)

The kite boarders are supposed to remain at the "Atlantis" site, south of Red Berly. This is were most of the activity is. Occasionally, somebody will kite board up towards Salt Pier, but thes are rogue boarders. Wind surfing is centered at Lac Bay and is not a normal conern for divers,

I was on Bonaire for 4 months and interviewed many of the recreation providers on the island for my research, including the surfer groups. I would not be overly concerned about the activity except in the aforementioned areas. Of course, keeping your hand and head up is standard procedure when ascending.

Other than Willenstorem Lighthouse and some east side things for a change, I prefer the northern locations locations up to Karpata over the southern ones.

Cagemaker

I had one near the salt pier. A friend on shore yelled at him about divers in the water. The result was he decided to see how close he could get to our heads without hitting us. That was the only time I ever experinced a problem.

OK, so I shouldn't be overly concerned, just be a little extra cautious when acsending, correct?

Pretty much. I worry about boats in the lakes at home much more.

rottielover:
OK, so I shouldn't be overly concerned, just be a little extra cautious when acsending, correct?

Depends on where you are. North of the salt pier, I would not be concerned at all. South of the salt pier is a totally different matter. South of salt pier, I would not consider surfacing in less than 4 ft of water and then with caution. This would include sites such as Pink Beach and Margate Bay. Some of these guys are wreckless and have no reguard for anyone....and if they are way north of Atlantas, as far as I am concerned they fall into that catagory. A SMB may be a good idea or it may become a target. SMB or not if a kiter is hauling tail 30 ft off shore and catching air, it's unlikely he is watching much of anything. At least for your first trip, staying north of the salt pier IMO is a good idea. I have a trip coming up this summer with new divers and I will not be taking them south of the pier to dive.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the Hilma Hooker site south of the Pier?

We're finishing up our AOW cert on the trip, and that's one of the sites I wanted to see.

oops, never mind I was confusing Town Pier and Salt Pier

Back
Top Bottom