KISS Gem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

logansar

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Had an intro to a semi-closed circuit rebreather last Sunday! I'm sold!!!

What a great experience and a piece of equipment. I am very excited about getting training and the future of rebreathers in our sport!

Sarge

What details would you like...? Here are my thoughts.

The experience was great. Breathing on it was different than an open system. When you exhale 1/3 of the gas is released and 2/3s pushed to the scrubber. As the counter lungs deflate and the system adds air to the semi-closed circuit.

What I like is the small amount of bubbles released... The fact that you dive your Nitrox mix.... Same MOD as your tank except it extends your air 3x. Also the simplicity of the system is great. As long as you use the check lists, you are good...

Down side - if you are traveling you have to make sure they have sorbe or cartridges for the scrubber system. If water makes it to the scrubber you have create a dangerous gas so you don't.... When you remove the mouth piece underwater you close a valve in the mouth piece then clear it when you replace it and open the valve. It was very simple to go to the bail out regulator - attached to the same cylinder that feeds the rebreather and then back to the rebreather mouth piece.

If you have a dive computer you still dive the data.. Nothing changes. I have a Galileo Sol and if I put the transmitter on the tank, then it will look at the very low consumption rate and still give RBT (remaining bottom time).

Why I am on this road of exploration you ask? Well I was introduced to sidemount and was very excited about the ease of diving doubles and the safety of a bail out/back up system. I wanted the doubles and the safety because I am scheduled for the Odyssey at Truk Lagoon Apr 2014. So now I am looking at a Hollis 100 with a KISS Gem rebreather and doubles on the side mount. This gives me around 3 hours air on a single tank and a second tank for safety or a higher O2 mix for decompression stops.

All in all... I'm sold and am scheduling training on the KISS Gem and plan on diving it this year in preparation for Truk!

Ask away any question you have....

Sarge

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

---------- Post added February 27th, 2013 at 11:19 PM ----------

See if this works... I put a video on Facebook.... If this doesn't ill try to upload it tomorrow ..

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=4459992338623&set=vb.1254093372&type=2&theater

Sarge

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

That's a little more helpful of an impression. Though, it looks like even with 2/3rd less exhaust, it's still a lot of bubbles. One of the obvious benefits of the typical CCR is no exhaust and less disturbance of the marine life.

I agree Jak. At this point in the development of sport rebreathers there is a relationship between the amount of bubbles to the cost if the system. Less bubbles = more cash! Lol

The Rep for the KISS Gem said that in a year or so it will transition to a closed circuit system.

I've just bought two Drager Dolphins. One will be for SCR use (mostly teaching) and the other to be upgraded to mCCR (manual CCR) for personal use. The mCCR project might be converted to bp&w.. with sidemounted bail-out/deco gas.

I've researched the GEM - but can't the KISS GEM be upgraded to mCCR also?

I believe that is the next revolution - at least that is my understanding.

Sarge

Sarge
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom