keys snorkeling

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

suda55us

Registered
Reaction score
HI, my son and I will be in the keys and was wondering which area would be better for snorkeling tours and not geared toward diving. He is 13 and a decent swimmer and loves to see the tropical fish. Thanks for any input. Dave

agree with dt's recommendation. I'd also add sundiver snorkeling tours for a dedicated snorkel boat in the upper keys. both companies primarily visit the same sites: Grecian rocks, north dry rocks(statue) and key largo white banks. currents and seas permitting, sundiver will occasionally visit molasses reef,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Key Largo Snorkeling Tours to Coral Reefs at John Pennekamp State Park - Sundiver Snorkel Vacations

reefman
key largo

We dive but have young boys plus grandparents who love snorkeling. We've gone on three $35 tours here and they have all been great. We've also always rented houses on the ocean side of the keys and snorkeled a LOT off the piers. I bet the bay side is also good. If you have access to a pier or a walk-in beach, you can easily snorkel for free and find plenty of neat stuff. In January we saw lobsters, rays, seahorses, angelfish, barracuda, and a nurse shark within 100 feet of our house in Islamorada.

FYI, almost all the dive ops will take snorkelers out (it's one way we get in some diving- the grandparents snorkel with our boys). Many of the reefs in the upper keys are shallow enough for fantastic snorkeling.

If you're going to be snorkeling a ton I would make two recommendations:
1. beach shoes that fit into the properly sized fins for walking out through the sometimes yucky seaweed stuff & rocks & garbage that washes up, and
2. a shorty wetsuit. Maybe the wetsuit is overkill, but with our 8 year old swim team member we have a much easier time and he stays out longer with an added touch of buoyancy. In January I wore my own wetsuit and he could just crawl on my back when he got tired. We got him a used old faded perfectly useable kids shorty at a dive op for like $15. They often have old rental stuff they'll sell for a song, and the kids stuff is very lightly used.

Have a great time!!!! It's an incredible place.

Looe Key is good for snorkeling as well... bit far down though, although it's only 1/2 hr to key west and there's plenty to do down there & see on land afterwards - need to see the night-time shows at the docks :)

Thank You all for the responses, looks like we will be staying around Islamorado

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom