Keys in the Spring

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Heading to the Keys for the first time in May. Plan to spent time in Key Largo, an island in the middle to be determined later and Key West. In an effort to optimize my time I was looking for recommendations for dive sites in the area. Primarily interested in natural environment rather than wrecks. I have been diving for about 18 years, but am taking my son along (new to diving) looking at air dives to 80 fsw or less. Any recommendations are welcome, as well as recommendations for an island in the middle. Thanks

And welcome to SB...

Here's a link to help you with your research: http://www.fla-keys.com/diving/

After you read some there, maybe you could narrow your question down, so we can better help youl...?

don

Seacliff49:
Heading to the Keys for the first time in May. Plan to spent time in Key Largo, an island in the middle to be determined later and Key West. In an effort to optimize my time I was looking for recommendations for dive sites in the area. Primarily interested in natural environment rather than wrecks. I have been diving for about 18 years, but am taking my son along (new to diving) looking at air dives to 80 fsw or less. Any recommendations are welcome, as well as recommendations for an island in the middle. Thanks

In Key Largo, I recommend Molasses Reef for dramatic underwater scenery and variety of corals and fishes, and Snapper Ledge for sighting nurse sharks, moray eels, and schooling fishes.

Let me know if I can help by arranging your dives and/or accommodations in Key Largo. We offer excellent rates at the Holiday Inn, Ramada Ltd, and Marina Del Mar.

Capt Jim Wyatt (another board member) can provide you with good info on staying and diving in the lower/middle keys.

Don't forget the Speigel in Key Largo!!! In Big Pine (about 30min north of Key West) there is also the Adolphus Busch...can't remember where the Bibb and Duane are. I like wrecks, can you tell. Ditto on Mollasses Reef.

iflyprops,

"Don't forget the Speigel in Key Largo!!! In Big Pine (about 30min north of Key West) there is also the Adolphus Busch...can't remember where the Bibb and Duane are."

Not the best recommendation considering:

"Primarily interested in natural environment rather than wrecks."

DandyDon:
And welcome to SB...

Here's a link to help you with your research: http://www.fla-keys.com/diving/

After you read some there, maybe you could narrow your question down, so we can better help youl...?

don
Thanks for the welcome, help and advise, I'll be in touch as my plans begin to solidify, I've done the majority of my diving in SoCal and Hi so I'm looking forward to some warm water and good vis. haven't had that since moving east.

Going from Key Largo (beginning of the keys) to Key West(the end) is only a couple hours drive. If I were staying there to do diving, I would pick a place in the middle and then dive both ends. Topside, I recommend seeing the sunset at Mallory Square in Key West. You can get a wonderful view of it setting in a number of places in the keys, but Mallory Square is "the place to be."

I don't mind tips on wrecks as well, the beauty of free advice is that you can choose to use it or not, take what you can use and leave the rest. I've moved east so I think I'd better learn to love wrecks or develop other interests. Wrecks are too much like work for me though.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom