Key Largo - Looking for Seasoned diver thoughts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1- Does Rainbow Reef require AOW certifications to do the Spiegel Grove and any other deeper wrecks (I guess the only other two are the Bibb and the Duane)
They do as do all the other ops I know of here in the Keys.
2- Do they require logbooks showing recent dives and if so what are the requirements to do the deeper wrecks
Ask them. I don't know.
3- Do they provide a weightbelt along with the weights
Yes, as do all the other ops here in the Keys as far as I know.
4 - They don't do the Eagle anymore, it's too far south for them. Any good Ops to recommend for that wreck dive?
Flakeys.
Does The Chairman want to do a dive with us that week?
Why not? Depending on who you do choose and if I'm in town or teaching.

Thanks for the feedback Chairman.

I emailed them yesterday haven't heard back.

I'll message you when we're in town.

Conch Republic goes to the Eagle regularly too (they also go to the SG, Duane and occasionally the Bibb too). If you're first to make a reservation on any particular day, you can request the location. Otherwise, check their schedule.

2- Do they require logbooks showing recent dives and if so what are the requirements to do the deeper wrecks

I would assume so as Ocean Divers across the way states on their website that a recent dive within 24 months is required or a refresher course you'll have to take. RR asked me when my last dive was when I booked; it was 20 months ago and there was no problem.

If I haven't dove within 6 months I always do a reef dive before a wreck - it's recommended. :thumb:
That said I believe the 24 month rule applies to both types of dives.

It appears from the responses I got from various Florida Keys dive Ops that if they see an AOW card and the diver attests to the recent dives requirement then it's all good. I didn't call Ocean Divers because they answered my question right on their website- they will not take a non AOW diver on a deep wreck even with a paid dive guide. Conch Republic won't either, all they said in reply to my email was that the want to see the AOW card, nothing more.
upload_2017-4-26_6-19-30.png

Several of Rainbow Reef's descriptions of the specific descent buoys on the Spiegel Grove clearly state that AOW is recommended, but not required. No other qualifications are stated, deep dives, recent dives, etc. If I was a non-AOW certified diver, I would call the operator I intended to use to discuss the topic specific to my own qualifications. Nobody wants a surprise when you show up to dive.

upload_2017-4-26_8-31-39.png

Ocean Divers appears to require AOW and has other recommendations or requirements:
"Requirements:
Advanced Open Water certified
If it has been more than 12 months since your last dive, we strongly recommend a Refresher Course or the hire of a private dive guide. If longer than 24 months since your last dive, a Refresher Course is required."

Conch Republic appears to require AOW or recent deep dives:
"You will be required to have an Advanced Open Water certification or a log book that shows at least 3 dives below 80' in the last 6 months to dive this wreck."

As I said, I would call ahead to avoid any disappointment

A few years back (2013) I was on a Rainbow Reef Dive boat headed out to a morning deep wreck dive (probably the Spiegel Grove). 2 Young, fit looking guys were onboard to do the dive, but turned out they didn't have AOW. The Captain offered to take a look at their log books (he didn't seem real enthused about the situation, but he did offer), but they didn't have their log books with them, and they had to sit out the dive. Just one old anecdotal experience.

Richard.

So let me help clear up for our dive shop, Conch Republic Divers, what we require to do the wrecks, which we do all 5 wrecks in the upper keys Spiegel, Benwood, Duane, Bibb and Eagle.

If you are AOW then you're good to go, but if you are OW then you have three options.
(1) Show me a log book where you've dove 3 times below 80' in the last 6 months
(2) Hire a guide for the wrecks....except the Benwood as it's not that deep.
(3) You can always get your AOW which usually will cost about the same as doing the 5 dives needed for AOW

It boils down to insurance requirements and we pay a lot for insurance so I have to listen to them.
We have the same policy as most other shops in the keys about diving in general. No matter if your AOW or Divemaster, if it's been longer than 12 months since your last dive we require a guide on your first dive. If it's been longer than 24 months then we require a refresher.

Reservations are always recommended and can be booked Here CRD Online Calendar which will save you some money.

If anymore questions please email us at dive@conchrepublicdivers.com or call us at (305) 852-1655
Good Diving,
Capt Gary

Another question - we are staying at Key West Inn. I like the idea of a kitchen so we can save a few bucks (and give those bucks to RR :) ). Anyone with experience staying at Key West Inn - do they have a pool? Anything else we need to know?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom