Key Largo - Looking for Seasoned diver thoughts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BTW, the "kids" are 31, 29, 27, 25 and then my SIL 31..
Still...the next generation!

You guys are going to have such a great time! I was envisioning you driving to Key West with a car full of kids. Hell, you can make THEM drive and you can curl up and take a nap :rofl3:

Still...the next generation!

You guys are going to have such a great time! I was envisioning you driving to Key West with a car full of kids. Hell, you can make THEM drive and you can curl up and take a nap :rofl3:

well, that depends on where 29 and 27 sit. Since they were younger, we have referred to them as "soda" and "vinegar" because they can't sit still in a car without something happening, usually yelling, screaming, and fighting... I wish I could say they outgrew it.

But otherwise, excellent idea, i need to put my SIL on the rental as a driver.

SIL can be the driver and "Big Daddy" can sit between 29 and 27 and practice the "GOLDEN RULE"...he who has the gold makes the rules!!!

We will be there 2-6 Aug, diving 3-5 Aug. (yep, we have a 24 hour SI before flying)
Hey, we'll be there that time (and the weekend prior) and we'll bring someone from China.... my wife, although she's state side since north of 25 years...
And if she keeps working on her swimming "skills" and water tolerance as she recently re-started to do, who knows, maybe she'll come back a diver. We have good hopes (and are working to stack the deck in favor). And my daughter will pick it up. And my son and I will have time to do some diving (and some of the deeper stuff too)... and maybe we can even do some shallower family dives with the new divers... ... some of the uncertainties make planning a little harder, but we'll figure it out... Got class, got flights, next: Accomodations: Working through some conflicts of interestsome within the family: Walking distance to RR for convenience and maybe a package deal vs. 2 bed rooms in a nice condo or such with some more driving, despite the lack of working distance, leaning towards the latter as it seems more likely to have everyone happy...

Be sure to check out VRBO.com We have rented various homes in the area, depending on the size of our groups. Just be sure to check out all of the reviews and do your best to make sure it's a reputable owner.

Be sure to check out VRBO.com We have rented various homes in the area, depending on the size of our groups. Just be sure to check out all of the reviews and do your best to make sure it's a reputable owner.

yeah, and we found an airbnb near Homestead, still a little drive, but it's big and roomy for six of us at the price of a hotel room for just two or three. So, we decided to drive.

Hey, we'll be there that time (and the weekend prior) and we'll bring someone from China.... my wife, although she's state side since north of 25 years...
And if she keeps working on her swimming "skills" and water tolerance as she recently re-started to do, who knows, maybe she'll come back a diver. We have good hopes (and are working to stack the deck in favor). And my daughter will pick it up. And my son and I will have time to do some diving (and some of the deeper stuff too)... and maybe we can even do some shallower family dives with the new divers... ... some of the uncertainties make planning a little harder, but we'll figure it out... Got class, got flights, next: Accomodations: Working through some conflicts of interestsome within the family: Walking distance to RR for convenience and maybe a package deal vs. 2 bed rooms in a nice condo or such with some more driving, despite the lack of working distance, leaning towards the latter as it seems more likely to have everyone happy...

Cool, we will look out for you!

About Key Weird (how the locals pronounce Key West). It's a wonderful afternoon/evening. Save it for the day before you're flying out. The silly cat show on Mallory Square is a hoot and the sunsets there can be amazing. Lots of old forts, and hangouts to visit. I can't deal with much more than an afternoon at a time because of the over abundance of tourist traps. Mel Fisher's Museum, the aquarium, Hemingway's house and a few others are worthwhile. Be sure to visit Hog's Breath Saloon and you're done. The drive back after dinner is usually easier and quicker than trying to drive back in the morning.

The silly cat show on Mallory Square is a hoot and the sunsets there can be amazing. Lots of old forts, and hangouts to visit. I can't deal with much more than an afternoon at a time because of the over abundance of tourist traps. Mel Fisher's Museum, the aquarium, Hemingway's house and a few others are worthwhile. Be sure to visit Hog's Breath Saloon and you're done. The drive back after dinner is usually easier and quicker than trying to drive back in the morning.
Brilliant idea. Thanks for the suggestions. Friends have invited us to visit Key Largo again in November. They are non-divers and have never visited the Keys, so a trip to Key West will be obligatory. I wasn't sure exactly where to take them, so you've been a great help...as always!

Don't go on the weekend, if you can avoid it. Also, be sure to visit MM 0 and take your picture. On a really clear day, if you look hard enough directly south with excellent optics, you still won't be able to see Cuba (pronounced koo-bah). But you can at least say that you tried. :D :D :D Oh yeah, Key Wasted (the alternate pronunciation) is home to some nice beaches and gardens. As for eating, nothing can beat Hogfish Bar and Grill in Stock Island on your way out after the sun sets on Mallory Square. :D Not cheap, but it's not tourist trap cuisine either.

BTW, Castaways in Marathon is an awesome place for lunch on your way to Key Weird.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom