Key Largo Favorite Restaurants

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do crawfish count as Cajun? Love those things.

You bet your Boudin!

Just arrived today, exhausted but happy. So far we have unpacked our bags and made a run down to Key Largo Fisheries. I had a fried Grouper Wrap with Cole Slaw and Plantains. Mmmmmmmmmmmmm....

Our current go to restaurants are:
Tower of Pizza - the one around MM 101 not the one 20 miles south.
Shipwrecks
The Juice House (cuban)
We have had good meals at The Fish House and the KL Conch House although it has been a while since we have visited them.

Have a good trip.

I grew up on the MS gulf coast and know good seafood I think, Mrs Macs and Fish House are pretty good.

My standards are probably slightly lower than usual after a relaxing morning of diving though...

This thread is making me miss the Keys, hopefully I get down there again in '23.

The seas are pretty lumpy today, so we decided a day of R & R might be a good thing.

After a bit of scenic land cruising, I decided I'd like to have lunch with a water view. We were headed to Sundowner's, but when we pulled into the parking lot we saw Senor Frijoles. Mexican food seemed really appealing, but I didn't want to miss the great views. As it happens, they have tables out back overlooking the marina area out to the bay. It was great!

Since we have dinner plans with our gracious hosts, we didn't want to overeat at lunch time. One order of fajitas split between the two of us was more than we could handle. It was SO GOOD! And the frozen concoction I had with orange juice, mango and strawberry was certainly top notch as well. I'm happy to have tried a new (to me) place in Key Largo and highly recommend it!

Mrs Macs and Fish House are pretty good.

These are my two favorite places in Key Largo. I can’t believe it took until posts in the 50’s before the Fishhouse came up, unless I missed it somewhere. I love the vibe at Mrs. Mac’s Too, and it’s a good place to be able to eat when you want to eat completely indoors but with a relaxed attitude, especially with a family. And I love it when they have lion fish on the menu. At the Fish House, it’s grouper in lemon butter, with a side of beans and rice and a side of crab stuffing. Plus a nice cocktail to precede it: maybe a Manhattan?

Like many have commented, I don’t think the food in Key Largo is great, and like most things in the Keys, the price is higher than other places. Welcome to paradise.

But after a fun day of diving, I’m willing to grade on a curve. Give me a cold draft beer (Yuengling! I can’t get that at home) or maybe a tropical umbrella drink and a beautiful view as the sun slips below the horizon, and any clichéd tiki bar serving typical bar food that came off a Sysco truck is probably going to make me at least somewhat happy. :)

This thread is definitely stirring the appetite for some diving and the food that comes with it. Bonaire up next for me for a dive trip with my summer diving just getting ready to start in RI. Some of my favorite and freshest seafood in the country found in South County RI

Down in Key Largo now, boat for afternoon dive was cancelled and boat tomorrow morning was cancelled. We'll see how tomorrow afternoon fairs....fingers crossed.

Went to Harriettes and couldn't find a parking spot so I went to Doc's Diner. Standard Diner breakfast consisting of a Waffle, eggs, sausage and bacon. Nothing really remarkable. Made fast and hot, a lot of people eating there. Service was fast and prompt, multiple servers asked if my order had been taken. If you have a big group and need some decent breakfast this might be the spot. Other than that I won't be going there again.

@Teufel4K, bummer about the weather! I'll be diving starting Tuesday, so hope the wind lays down a bit for all of us! On another note, talk about Karma.... Literally the only thing I could find open at my stop on the way down was McDonalds. Probably what I get for my hyperbolic comment! :p

Don't eat at the Italian Food Company. It's expensive and the food is bland. But definitely stop by the Blonde Giraffe their key lime pie is delicious :)

We are in the same situation with diving. With my seasickness issue, I've decided anything over 3' seas is not something I want to undertake. They'll be getting closer to 4, so no diving for this kid :oops:

I'm so glad I posted this thread originally, because while we're not diving we're able to get out and explore more and try new restaurants. Yesterday we tried a place several have suggested...Fernandez the Bull. Oh my goodness!!! That was the best sandwich I've ever put in my mouth. I'm a pork lover anyway, and the spices and cheeses they used were fantastic. Definitely one of our new "go to" spots for the future.

The great news is that the forecast for Memorial Day weekend and next week looks much better. Come on down to the Keys :happywave:

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom