Key Largo Favorite Restaurants

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fernandez the Bull - Cuban hole in the wall next to Publix. We ate there 3 times in a week it was that good.

Key Largo Conch House - What you would expect a tourist place to look like - but the food is actually pretty good!

Subzero Ice Cream and Yogurt - For dessert something a little different. Hand mixed ice cream made with liquid nitrogen.

Bummer. Well enjoy the McDonalds.
Nah, we just cook our own. The sad thing is making good seafood isn't hard. I never quite understood why it was so bad in the keys. @rob.mwpropane and @-JD- nailed it though. Everglades City/Homestead has some great Mexican food/fruit drinks/smoothies. IMO, always worth a visit, sometimes it's just farther than I want to drive though.

which exuded that Keys vibe that more than made up for it.
I can definitely appreciate that. I'm a craft beer fan, but there is something about having a cheap beer overlooking the water that's hard to beat!

We also have traveled into the ghetto to get better authentic Spanish food in FL City... the places where you just point on the menu because no one knows english. I don't speak Spanish, so it's always an adventure!

Generally the cheap strip mall places are among the best food you can get in Florida, often just about everywhere else in the US.

But I agree with @RyanT the food quality on KL is ok, not great, but solidly meh once you factor in price. Now I won't go as far as saying that McDonald's is the best place in KL, but the places you can eat at on the island, particularly on the water often is underwhelming.

That is part of the reason that I stay in Homestead/Florida city. That way on days where we are blown out I can go north for better dining options.

I can definitely appreciate that. I'm a craft beer fan, but there is something about having a cheap beer overlooking the water that's hard to beat!

We've ordered french fries (or something stupid I can't remember) JUST to get a spot to look out at the view. I could live in that moment.. it's like being in a dream seeing the sky meet the water there.

But yeah... much better / cheaper food up north.

And I would much prefer to make my own seafood than buy it at a restaurant:)

double post

Generally the cheap strip mall places are among the best food you can get in Florida, often just about everywhere else in the US.

But I agree with @RyanT the food quality on KL is ok, not great, but solidly meh once you factor in price. Now I won't go as far as saying that McDonald's is the best place in KL, but the places you can eat at on the island, particularly on the water often is underwhelming.

That is part of the reason that I stay in Homestead/Florida city. That way on days where we are blown out I can go north for better dining options.

Not sure what's up with the connection today.. I didn't see your post until after I posted and then there was 2 of my posts... weird.

We stay in FL City... cheaper and more to do at night (we don't drink so bars in KL aren't my style). Man, now I'm really ready for a FL trip:(

And I would much prefer to make my own seafood than buy it at a restaurant:)
It's been quite a few years now, but I recall a couple of seafood markets in Key Largo or thereabouts (Islamorada?). One was a proper store, but the other was like an outdoor farmers market. If I were staying enough days, you bet. We've done that on trips elsewhere. I recall buying a fish in Bermuda, taking it back to our AirBnb on the bus, and cooking it on a portable grill too small for the fish, with the tail hanging over one edge.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom