Key Largo Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ben, I have five dives between 70 and 90 feet. I dunno if I feel comfortable enough to do the Grove yet though... :huh:

That and since we are already booked, I printed out the list of dive sites and a couple of them look promising. I guess we can get it all ironed out Thursday.

No problem Kristy, were not doing the S.G. anyway. I also would never push anyone to dive beyond what they are comfortable. No worries! The reef dives are supposed to be amazing and less then 60 ft. I'm looking forward to it!!!!!

Ooops, it wasn't Mike's Wreck I wanted to dive. It's the Benwood. Oh Bee-eeen!

BENWOOD (25 - 45') The wreck of the BENWOOD, a 344' Norwegian freighter lies north of French Reef. Near midnight on April 9, 1942, sailing with no lights because of the danger from German submarines, the Benwood was accidentally rammed by a larger American vessel, the 450 foot Robert C. Tuttle. The captain, thinking the Benwood may sink, turned toward shore and shallow water. She went aground at the stern with her bow swung out to sea. Then, according to local legend, as her crew struggled with a fire on deck, a German submarine prowling the coastline sighted her easily at night and finished her with it's deck gun. It's a great story, but there is no evidence in U.S. or German records of any U-Boat involvement, but the legend dies hard. It's hull now lies in a barren section of the reef-line in less than 50 feet of water. Huge grouper are now permanent residents of this wreck, which makes a magnificent backdrop for underwater photography. This is the nicest shallow wreck in the Sanctuary and a great dive.

And there are a few interesting looking reefs. We can talk about 'em all later.

I'll go - but I'll need a dive buddy to remind me to not surface kick two football fields away from the boat... shore diving's getting a little too ingrained as of late, lol.

Another invitation for those reading: Mt bike trip planned for Thursday. Might not be Oleta this time - another post-hurricane park should be open by now, so you'll probably need your own wheels (Oleta has rental bikes and helmets).

--Peace

MD :yinyang:

No way, water-babe - I need you to stay busy trying to remind me how to pronounce "ee-NUN-date" and "Ah-hi-A" the right way :fork: . Just keep hittin' me with those bricks; they'll get through my thick skull some day - gotta penetrate my MoF first, though, lol. :cheers:

I hear ya Mambo, we booth aren't going to know what to do with our selves having all that extra air left over. Actually not having to swimming out 250 yards from shore is going to throw everything off. We might even be able to call this a relaxing dive!?! Spoken like a true MoF'er Dave.

-=Iceman

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom