Key Largo Dive/Stay???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wetvet

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi Y'all,

Me and 6 friends are coming down to Florida from the great white north in the second week of July. We are doing a few days in the caves in High Springs, then driving down to the Keys for 4 days. I have 2 questions for you locals:

1) Are the manatees worth going to see during the middle of the summer? The operators say that there are some "permanent" manatees, but I'm wondering what the actual chances we would have to interact with them, or should we not bother until a future trip.

2) Does anyone have any recommendations as to where to stay/dive in Key Largo? I expect this is where we will end up, although that is not certain yet. Is it better to do a package, or book hotel and diving separately? FWIW, one of the couples coming on the trip has a 6 month old baby, so a bunk house with 1 big room may not suit as well. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Wetvet

I can help you with the Manatee part.

Most Manatees are out in open water this time of year. But a few weeks ago, I got lucky and swam with four at Crystal River.

Crystal River is a couple of hours south of High Springs. Your group can rent a decent - not fancy, but decent - boat for a reasonable price that you can operate yourself. Contact big Ken at plantationinn.com. We saw the manatees up near the Three Sisters spring. They with give you directions when you rent the boat.

There are plenty of inexpensive motels in the area if you do not want to stay at the Inn. It is an easy half day trip from Crystal River on down to Key Largo.

Oh yeah, Wetvet.... I forgot to add.... you can come see the Stanley Cup while you're in the area. We have it on display here in Tampa Bay for the next year!!!!!!!

Ok....I thought this was going to stay a nice, family oriented, pleasant conversation about diving......How a bunch of kids with no superstars over 5'6" can limp their way to a championship.....its embarassing to all sports, not just hockey. Wait till next year!!!!.........or the year after that.

Wetvet

Hey wetvet.... come on back during hockey season when your Leafs are in town to play our Bolts. Its actually the best time of year to see the manatees, any way.

We're always ready to show y'all a little southern hospitality.... of course that's only BEFORE and AFTER the game!!!!!!

offer excellent room rates. We work with the Holiday Inn, Ramada, and Marina Del Mar at mile marker 100 oceanside. We pass our wholesale room rates on (as do most operators) in order to attract customers, rather than marking them up, or taking commissions.

We (and most other dive ops) also offer multi-trip discounts to our customers who are planning to make three or more dive trips during their stay here.

PM me for a rate quote, or let me know what your budget is, what amenities you're looking for, and how much diving you plan to do. I'll try to steer you in the right direction.

Wings:
Hey wetvet.... come on back during hockey season when your Leafs are in town to play our Bolts. Its actually the best time of year to see the manatees, any way.

We're always ready to show y'all a little southern hospitality.... of course that's only BEFORE and AFTER the game!!!!!!

All those who feel the cup is an entilement should come down and visit Stan in his new home, courtesy of the nice folks in the city that earned it. I'd like to thank all those who were kind enough to participate in this years Stanley Cup Playoffs. Feel free to come on down and work on your tan with Stan.

Marty's a whole lot taller with Hockey's Holy Grail hoisted high atop his head. :bang:

Oh yeah, I guess someone figured out how to make ice in places where the ponds don't freeze. Who knew? :palmtree:

If you do go to see the Manatee's, you might want to snorkel Crystal River instead of diving. The bubbles tend to scare them away. besides, the Three Sisters Springs area is only about 3 feet deep to a max of about 25' right at the spring opening and visibility seems endless. Or at least it did when I was there December before last.

Have a great trip!

Mike

As key largo brent mentioned above, there are some good deals in the keys if you package diving and accom. I've stayed at all three hotels mentioned and they are all good- I personally prefer the holiday inn coz I can walk to the dive boat in under a 3 minutes!!!

As for the Manatees, there are some that stay around for the summer time here, but you have to be early/lucky to see them. It really is your call. If you choose to go, definately snorkel rather than dive, and try to go with Birds Under Water in kings canyon- they go out earlier than Pro diving and have less of a crowd. I went with them in the cold february weahter and they were really good.

enjoy

empyre180:
All those who feel the cup is an entilement should come down and visit Stan in his new home, courtesy of the nice folks in the city that earned it. I'd like to thank all those who were kind enough to participate in this years Stanley Cup Playoffs. Feel free to come on down and work on your tan with Stan.

Marty's a whole lot taller with Hockey's Holy Grail hoisted high atop his head. :bang:

Oh yeah, I guess someone figured out how to make ice in places where the ponds don't freeze. Who knew? :palmtree:

We still get to see it all the time here in T.O. That is it's permanent home. The hockey hall of fame and all. We just have not earned the right to call it ours in a few years. Oh and by the way I think it will be up here a lot this year anyways. I think something like 19 of the 25 players for the Bolts were CDN??

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom