Key Largo Dive/Stay???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey Wetvet,

I'm a regular at www.horizondivers.com. I have dove with about every operation in Key Largo and these nice folks are the best by far! They have a Holiday Inn walking distance from the shop and there boat is very comfy. In my humble opinion there is no better way to go than with Horizon Divers. I do not work for them or have any stake in there bussiness but I dive with them about 2-3 times a month in the summer and 1-3 times a month in the winter if my jon allows.

Tell you what...give me a shout when you come down and I'll meet you for a dive on the Spiegal Grove and to personnally introduce you to Joe and Bobbie the owners.

OH the manatee's at crystal river are very cool to swim with. The water is so clear it's like diving in a bottle of Gin! :D

Have a good trip.

Cubascuba

Not sure if the timing would work but I've had great success at "www.vbro.com". These are rentals for homes and condos. This time of year, $1000 a week gets a nice ocean front 2 bedroom condo. If you haven't been to the Keys before, most addresses will reflect a mile marker (MM), using the end of the highway in Key West as "0" and the start at the northern reaches of Key Largo at the 130's or so (locals will correct me if I'm wrong). In essence, if you targeted accomidations at about mile marker 90 you would have an easy drive in either direction if you choose a dive site (and likely a dive operator) other than those in Key Largo. In any event, the diving isn't one size fits all. I've been on reefs where the depth didn't exceed 20' and the fish life was incredible. There are also more challanging dives and wrecks at depths over 120' that may involve a current. To try and pick dive sites and operators, first decide what types of dives (depth, reef or wreck, etc.) you want to do. There are also some interactive site maps available on the web that will give a brief description, with depths and such for a lot of the marked sites around Key Largo. As far as your group, are you all planning on diving and if so, are you all of similar skills and interests? Your choices in the Keys will be either a six pack boat (if you have the whole boat you could more likely dictate the site) or larger boats with up to 30 divers.

I would dive a couple of days in key Largo- Ocean divers has a resort on site. large boats- no time limits- very nice people (I don't work for them). Check out the Spiegal Grove wreck. then go to Marathon Try to see some of the wrecks down there

I am also going with this group and we are kicking around the idea of going to key west for a day of diving, worth the drive? Or are we better served diving in Key Largo, Marathon area?
Thanks
Rob

hey Lurch- personally I don't rate the diving off of Key West- not unless you make a big trip of it out to the Dry Tortugas- the only reason to go to Key West would be if you wanted to fit in some party time out on the streets. Depends on what you want- if you do drive- stick to the speed limit as the cops will getcha.

My buddy and I dive the keys a few times a year. Try a dive or two just a little south of Key Largo...Tavernier. Tavernier Dive Center has always shown us a great time. Suggest doing "The Eagle" and "The Dwane". Both are great wreck dives. Enjoy the Keys!

Hey Boys!!

I dove with you guys last year at the OFWF dive in Brockville!! Here's a Canucks opinion.

Key Largo Brent runs an op of Largo - Blue Water Divers. We have dove with them multiple times as well as done some courses with him. Thier op - is 1st class all the way. When we were there, Patty and I were the only two on the boat and they treated us like gold. Also, after much searching on my part, Brent was able to get us the best rates at the Holiday right next door to his op! Great location and you can just walk over in the morning. Great place for the girls and kiddies that aren't diving as they have a very nice pool complex. I think he got it for $99 a night which was much better than anything we could find on Expedia or the likes. Trust me, you won't be disappointed with Brent and Glenn from Blue Water! Obviously, the Spiegel Grove is a must do!

As for Key West - skip it. Really not the worth the trip for the diving, but worth the trip to see it if you've never been. Again, listen to Brent and do the dive in Looe Key. Very shallow there - usually only about 30 ft so your bottom time is mucho longo!!! Best part is - CRITTERS and lots of them. We saw tons of Morays, Sharks, Octopus......all sorts of stuff. We dove with Looe Key Dive Center and really liked thier op. If you go on Saturdays or Wednesdays - the first dive is on the wreck the Adolphus Busch - good dive with one massive Goliath Grouper to greet you. After the wreck - you'll still do 2 more tanks on the reef. It's a great day on a big stable 45 foot cat!!

http://www.diveflakeys.com/

Dive Looe Key and then hit Key West for the night!!

As for the Manatees in Crystal River - skip it. We went there in February and because they had a warm spell - we found one Manatee that wasn't the least bit interested in us - a real waste of time. I can only imagine how scarce they would be this time of year.

Cheers...Peter!!

wetvet:
Ok....I thought this was going to stay a nice, family oriented, pleasant conversation about diving......How a bunch of kids with no superstars over 5'6" can limp their way to a championship.....its embarassing to all sports, not just hockey. Wait till next year!!!!.........or the year after that.

Wetvet

And just how long have you guys been saying that, hmmm???? :wink:

Now that I've insulted the heck out of you, if you are heading down by car, you might want to stop by Ft Lauderdale for some shore diving.

Definately snorkel, I was at Crystal River recently and saw some divers trying to get close to the manatees. Those bubbles really freak em out!! Let me tell ya, those things can really take off when they want to!!! I would not want to get hit by one of those tails!!! By the by it is illegal to touch or harass (ie, try to herd em) the big tubs of fun, so be careful. Wildlife comms are all over the place. Most will give you a warning 1st. Check with the local dive shops on arrival for more up to date info. Have fun!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom