Key Largo - Dive Boat + Hotel?? (THIS WEEKEND)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sparg93

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Last minute down to the keys, my first time. I'm leaving tomorrow morning, diving Fri/Sat/Sun.

Any recommendations on a place for staying and diving? I'd like to grab a dive boat (2-3tanks) and possibly shore diving if its worth it.

Any recommendations?

Thanks!!

-Craig

No shore diving in the keys unless you want to snorkel the bay area from a hotel, but it's shallow grass beds and no reef.

I like Conch Republic Divers in Tavanier. It's a few miles south of Key Largo, but well worth the extra 15 minutes. The reef are a lot better IMO.

www.conchrepublicdivers.com

any recommendations on a hotel you've stayed at? My gf is joining and not diving...maybe snorkel.

But she's adventurous and it looks like there are kayak tours available,

I just got back from Key Largo, diving with my son and my NDG (non-diving girlfriend!).

We stayed at the Marriott and dove with Pirate Island Divers (which is right there at the Hotel).

The place was very nice, the NDG liked the pool and restaurant, they even have a little "beach" (sand dumped on the bayside). Only downside was that it was a bit pricey, and our two bedroom suite (which was big, beautiful, with a nice kitchen and wrap around balcony) only had one bathroom - especially a problem when we had another friend staying with us as well.

Pirate Island runs a good shop, very convenient to have everything right there, they also have locked gear lockers.

Mike

In Key Largo, I like Silent World Dive Center Florida Keys Diving with Silent World voted #1 dive shop in Florida and just returned Monday afternoon from a long weekend trip with them. They have two boats that they limit to 12 passengers each so personal service is pretty good. I have been diving with them for the last few years and will dive with them again in early August. If you choose them, you may have a chance to dive Carysfort and North North Dry Rocks which do not seem to be as crowded as other dive spots. They are NICE dive sites!

We usually stay at the Key West Suites just off mm100 and behind the Ramada Inn. It as one BR, two baths, den with sleeper sofa, kitchen, and a screen porch.

Conch Republic in Tavernier (mm89 or 90), previously mentioned is also a quality outfit.

Have a great trip - you will enjoy it.

any recommendations on a hotel you've stayed at? My gf is joining and not diving...maybe snorkel.

But she's adventurous and it looks like there are kayak tours available,

Don't forget to check this out if you have time... mile marker 83...!

want a small operator that will get you to the dive sites before the big boats scare away the fish? Try HMS Minnow anchored at the Holiday Inn. Six pack boat- Jeff Jarvis is the captain and we won't dive with anyone else.Stay at HI and do 4 dives a day!

think big! on the dive boats that is. marine forecast; 20 KTS AND GUSTY FRI, 15-20KTS ON saturday then diminishing to 10-15kts on sunday. the cattle boats will be more comfy for tomorrow and saturday(ocean divers, sea dwellers, rainbow reef, conch republic to name a few)(it was 15+kts today as well),,,,,,,,,,

reefman
key largo

you've definitely got a point there! We have had that experience before doing the SG a couple of years ago....we just booked with Jeff for 10 dives at our usual time at the end of August and we've had good luck with currents and weather. We've been on Ocean Divers and they were great. I just hope all these guys get through these tough times. That's why we book a trip with Jeff every year. We used to bring our two boys and other family and that was a great experience.

We dove with Silent World during our vacation two months ago. Great shop, great crew, great diving.

With that said, we had 4-6 seas the first day due to wind and BOY did that 12-pack boat get tossed about (then my wife and I tossed cookies too!).

I recommend SW anyways, but take some Dramamine!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom