Key Largo advise

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We were just there in Jan and stayed at the Holiday Inn. It was a nice hotel with good beds and a nice property. Nothing bad to say about it. We dove with Capt. Slate and Rainbow Reef. The service and attitude were excellent at at RR. Definitely recommend them. They have reasonable prices and very nice boats. On the other hand CS was a very different experience. The boats are old and the crew is more interested in their personal conversations than in diver service. Have a great time.
RichH

On our last trip down, we stayed at the Historic Tavernier Inn (about 20 minutes south) and dived with Islamorada Dive Center.
Have a great trip!

UforScuba: Do you know if the Tavernier Inn remodeled recently. I stayed there about 4 years ago and it was a complete dump: even by Keys standards. (mold in shower, carpet that seemed to be 20 years old and gross, toliet that barely flushed, bedding that made you wonder what activities had taken place in the room during prior two hours, etc. etc.)

We were just there in Jan and stayed at the Holiday Inn. It was a nice hotel with good beds and a nice property. Nothing bad to say about it. We dove with Capt. Slate and Rainbow Reef. The service and attitude were excellent at at RR. Definitely recommend them. They have reasonable prices and very nice boats. On the other hand CS was a very different experience. The boats are old and the crew is more interested in their personal conversations than in diver service. Have a great time.
RichH

+1 for Rainbow Reef Dive Center. They are located right next to the Holiday Inn. Super friendly and professional. They also put a dive guide in the water at no additional cost...if you choose to take advantage of this service. If not, you are free to explore on your own.

We've been diving with them since 2004 and have never been disappointed. If you dive on a Monday or Friday, be sure to request JESUS as your guide! He finds everything and is a SUPER nice guy :D

I've been to Amy's twice and would go there again for two reasons. One is the boat is very close. A few rooms are literally ten feet from your front door to the boat. Secind is just because you stay there doesn't mean you have to do all the dives with them, I;ve stayed there and used Conch Republic and It's A Dive.

A rental car is a must. I never heard of the Keys Bus from the airport but things are far enough apart that I would never want to rely on public transport.

A must see is the sunset celebration in Key West and Duval Street as well as the Aquarium and Mel Fisher Museum.

On our last trip down, we stayed at the Historic Tavernier Inn (about 20 minutes south) and dived with Islamorada Dive Center.
Have a great trip!

UforScuba: Do you know if the Tavernier Inn remodeled recently. I stayed there about 4 years ago and it was a complete dump: even by Keys standards. (mold in shower, carpet that seemed to be 20 years old and gross, toliet that barely flushed, bedding that made you wonder what activities had taken place in the room during prior two hours, etc. etc.)

I'm assuming they have made some improvements. There were wood floors in our room. The bathroom was small, but not moldy. The beds were comfy and the bedding was fresh. It's not fancy by any means, but I wasn't there to hang out in my room. :)

Yes, this boat is on the Holiday Inn side and would be very convenient to some rooms at HH. Sea Dwellers is a biiigg and friendly boat!!

So there's no confusion....the boat that HMS Minnow Dive Charters uses is a 6-pack called the HMS Minnow.

We are in the planning stages for our next dive trip, which will be Key Largo in November.
We're probably going to stay at the Holiday Inn, in part because I see it referenced here as being a decent place to stay and 'walk out of the inn and onto the dock' convenient. Any other places I need to investigate?
So that leads to the question of which dive ops use that particular dock, and what should we know about them?
Particular sites we need to make sure not to miss?
Any particular sights above water we should plan on visiting?
Are we likely to need a rental car? If not, what's the best way to get there from Miami?
Thanks. :)

OK, by the numbers:
1. Get a rental car - period. Best way to get there from Miami (good luck) head west to the FL Turnpike, hope you're not robbed or hijacked, then south - straight to K.L.
2. The H.I. and Marina Del Mar may be owned by the same people. The Courtyard by Marriott (FKA "The Ramada") seemed to have some affiliation - anyway, they put me up in the H.I. when Ramada's water went out a few years back. I loved "The Ramada." Hated the H.I. YMMV. They're all on the canal - MM100.
3. Dive Ops (in the canal - MM100): 6 pack: HMS Minnow -YES! Slightly bigger: Scuba Do (34' - 10 pax). Bigger still: Ocean Divers (42' - they'll go out with 2 divers.) I didn't care for them many years ago but made a 180 in the last 10 years. There are a few other ops, to wit: Bluewater Divers (30' boat / TEN divers) - never been with them but heard good things. Rainbow Reef - went out with them once years ago; heard good stuff but they've always been full when I've tried to go out with them the last few years. (I'm mostly a single walk up.) Horizon - fairly good but I remember paying a bit more than usual for Nitrox with these people. Key Largo Dive Center - never could hook up with them but would like to (6 pack). Don't know about Sea Dwellers but suspect they cater to the novice.
4. Not to miss: Snapper Ledge! Then there are the other reefs (French is super and, of course Molasses). Wrecks; Benwood - shallow, easy and teeming with livestock. Plus all the other usual suspects - Duane, Bibb and, her majesty, the Speigel Grove. If you wanna go south a bit (MM91) check out Conch Republic Divers (fantastic op) and the Eagle wreck. Slightly north and bayside is Quiescence - another fantastic 6 pack.
5. K.L. food: Hobo's - a given and usually pretty good.

Last edited:
The Marriott at MM103 has a Dive Op right on the property called Pirate Island Divers I think.

Yes it's a cattle boat, but still nice trip to Benwood and the fingers reefs.

we r staying a Hilton resort KL. shuld be really nice. private beach. need some good dive shop recs. I am OW with 50+ dives in 6 yrs, and I really want to dive Speigel. i heard i need to hire a DM in order to do the dive ??! is that right ? i wont go inside, just want to go around outside. i know caverns are dangerous. But i can hire a DM if it gets me closer to the nice views, I need dive buddy anyways, wife cant go this time.

we r staying a Hilton resort KL. shuld be really nice. private beach. need some good dive shop recs. I am OW with 50+ dives in 6 yrs, and I really want to dive Speigel. i heard i need to hire a DM in order to do the dive ??! is that right ? i wont go inside, just want to go around outside. i know caverns are dangerous. But i can hire a DM if it gets me closer to the nice views, I need dive buddy anyways, wife cant go this time.

Rainbow Reef has guides in the water, so you won't have to hire a DM, they also have 2 boats that go out in the morning, so you have a choice of shallow or deep.

Dive Key Largo, Florida Keys with Rainbow Reef Dive Center;scuba diving:diving, Florida keys, florida diving

Last edited:
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom