Key Largo advise

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dirty-Dog

Frequently Censored
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We are in the planning stages for our next dive trip, which will be Key Largo in November.
We're probably going to stay at the Holiday Inn, in part because I see it referenced here as being a decent place to stay and 'walk out of the inn and onto the dock' convenient. Any other places I need to investigate?
So that leads to the question of which dive ops use that particular dock, and what should we know about them?
Particular sites we need to make sure not to miss?
Any particular sights above water we should plan on visiting?
Are we likely to need a rental car? If not, what's the best way to get there from Miami?
Thanks. :)

google mm100 hotels, several will show up on both sides of the canal including HH which IS out the door and onto the dock if you get the right room. A car is almost essential. KL will cost as much as a lot of Caribbean choices--therefore, I would choose Caribbean.....There used to be a Keys bus from the airport--not sure if it still is around. Sea Dwellers boat is just outside the Holiday Inn. Their store is across US1. There are at least 2 6pack boats as well. Across the canal is Rainbow Reef Dive and others on both sides. The canal ends at US1, so it's a short walk from HH on the south side to RR on the north--still if I was diving with Rainbow, I would stay over there. Ocean Divers and Marina Del Mar are a short distance down the canal. We both like Keys diving and go now and then as my sister lives there and we can sponge!! We moved to Florida from Ohio for the diving.............

We are headed to Key Largo in July and I've contacted about thirteen shops. I've chosen the following:

HMS Minnow Dive Charters | Contact Us

The owner was super responsive....runs a small boat....good prices....and I believe he uses the Holiday Inn dock.

Hope this helps!

We are headed to Key Largo in July and I've contacted about thirteen shops. I've chosen the following:

HMS Minnow Dive Charters | Contact Us

The owner was super responsive....runs a small boat....good prices....and I believe he uses the Holiday Inn dock.

Hope this helps!

Yes, this boat is on the Holiday Inn side and would be very convenient to some rooms at HH. Sea Dwellers is a biiigg and friendly boat!!

Flying into FLL is marginally cheaper, but the flight times are rotten. All I'm finding are red eyes and flights with layovers. I loathe layovers. Every time we have one, we get screwed somehow.
Our last trip to Cozumel we were supposed to have a two hour layover in Charlotte, both ways. Canceled our flight and put us on a later one. SIX hour layover. Both ways.

I'll start checking the shops people have mentioned, and the input is appreciated. :)

Anybody know anything about Amoray Dive Resort?

I stayed/dived there once. Very easy diving as the boat is docked right there. We were in one of the rooms with the big, screened in porch so we had plenty of room to dry our gear. My only complaint about the room is that the walls are paper thin. The boat is a big, stable catamaran. I didn't feel crowded, but it is definitely a cattle boat. We had OW classes & snorkelers on board. I don't know that I'd return, because there are better deals to be had in KL, but I enjoyed it there. Watch out for the 12% sales tax. They failed to include that in my "quote".

On our last trip down, we stayed at the Historic Tavernier Inn (about 20 minutes south) and dived with Islamorada Dive Center. Both were great and cost less than Amoray. IDC should have their brand new boat by now too.

Have a great trip!

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom