Keep overfilling my 95LP or get a 130HP?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have several sets of 98s (doubles) rated 2400 + (which means rated to 2640), and I regularly fill them to 3.500 psi. They do have burst disc which are supposed to blow at 4000 psi. Accidently, I did fill them once trough a dive store which cooled down the air before filling. I did not notice this. I was filling them as usual to 3.500 psi. One hour later, I assembled my gear at a cave diving site. While checking my SPG, I was shocked to see that I did have 4.100 psi in my tanks (without any burst disc blowing). Well, I guess I did get lucky.

130 cf tanks are way too uncomfortable for my style of diving. As mentioned before, if a 95 does not do it, get two and rig them either side-mount or as doubles. Or get two 80’s, which are very comfortable. I did read below a comment that HP gets hot if not filled properly. Every tank is getting hot if filled quickly – there is no difference between HP and LP. If possible, you should always cool your tanks in a water bath while filling, and let them cool down. Avoid stations which cool the air before it is filled.

When choosing a tank, you should watch for buoyancy characteristics – it is important that a tank is always negative, even when empty. And you like to have the weight difference in buoyancy as small as possible.

Thanks. How long have you been filling the 98s(I assume they are LP) to 3500PSI? Based on what you're seen and read about, how much service life, do you think it may have shorted by doing this type of over fill. I thought a 130HP and my 95LP were about the same size. The 130HP seems to be much taller and fatter that the 95LP.

Back
Top Bottom