Keep overfilling my 95LP or get a 130HP?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We have BRAND NEW steel Tanks ON SALE NOW.....

Worthington 95LP on sale - Normally $309 - $280 Shipped
Worthington 100HP on sale - Normally $345- $315 shipped
Worthington 130HP on sale - Normally $399 - $375 shipped

and others. Tanks come with DIN/Yoke Valve, Boots, and Valve Cap. Brand New Tanks. Current hydro and VIP.

Shipping to Lower 48 only, USA.

Any Questions, please PM, email, or call. Thanks.

Borg
fwiw just dove my new HP130 this past weekend and it was really great - trimmed out fine. I usually dive doubles, but sometimes singles on certain sites. usually I have a HP100 for a singles set up and I was worried the 130 would be too heavy or hard to trim but it was no problem. the 130 is *approx* the same height as a 100 or al80 just fatter.
u4ia

I had the equation at one time to figure out the cu. ft. on a tank and I lost it. Would someone pass it along to me, if you have it.
I would appreciate it.
So, according to the previous replies. I can virtually reach the 130cu. ft. level of gas volume at the 3400-3500 PSI fill pressure. How long(service life) have your 95LP tanks lasted with these kinds of pressures? If I could get another 5-10 years out of my 95LP doing that, I believe that's the way to go, at least for the moment.

I had the equation at one time to figure out the cu. ft. on a tank and I lost it. Would someone pass it along to me, if you have it.
I would appreciate it.

95 cu ft. /2640 psi = 0.035985. 0.035985 x (new pressure), in this case, 3500 = 125.95 cu ft.

I would appreciate it.
So, according to the previous replies. I can virtually reach the 130cu. ft. level of gas volume at the 3400-3500 PSI fill pressure. How long(service life) have your 95LP tanks lasted with these kinds of pressures? If I could get another 5-10 years out of my 95LP doing that, I believe that's the way to go, at least for the moment.

If the tank has no flaws, you may not even be reducing the service life of the cylinder as long as you never get too close to the test pressure (even in the hot trunk of your car). The test pressure is just below the material yield stress, by design.

By over filling all you are doing is cutting into the safety factor. The safety factor is there in case of any imperfections that are not cough during testing and visual inspection (it is rare, but it does happens, I have witness it). Therefore, every time you overfill all you need to ask yourself is: do I fill lucky today? You probably will be fine…tanks are very simple and predictable structures…most of the time (as they have shown so far down in Northern Florida).

Actually, it is mostly the fill operator that needs to ask: do I fill lucky today?

We own LP95s and HP130s. I dive both. They trim out very similarly, and empty buoyancy is essentially the same, so weighting doesn't change. The HP130s are definitely heavier and more work to move around on land. We don't have any problem getting them filled to rated pressure +10. 130's are really an almost silly amount of gas . . . Almost equivalent to our doubled LP72s (since those have long since lost their + rating).

If I can continue to put 3000-3500 PSI in my 95 LP, I may stay with it for now.
The 130HP is compact for it's volume, but probably compared to my 95LP size wise, the 130HP looks like a mini grain silo or a Liquid Propane tank on it's side.

If I can continue to put 3000-3500 PSI in my 95 LP, I may stay with it for now.
The 130HP is compact for it's volume, but probably compared to my 95LP size wise, the 130HP looks like a mini grain silo or a Liquid Propane tank on it's side.

Personally, I wouldn’t overfill that high. I tend to be a risk taker, but in this kind of condition, I don’t see the point.

If I need the air, I would get the proper equipment.

Even if it is structurally adequate you are still taking other risks. Just one example: if you are involved in a car accident, even if the tank plays no part in the accident, you could be automatically at fault. You were as a minimum violating the codes and in some states you were breaking the law.

Again, the chances are small, but what is the point of taking the risk.

Sometimes I may overfill some of my steel 72 to about 10% above its + stamped pressure (or about 2700 psi), but I do all my own inspections and I keep my own records of the hydro test results. I am very aware of the condition of my tanks and keep a good bust disc that gets replaced every few years.

Back
Top Bottom