Keep it, or ask for return?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You'll never feel the difference between 27 vs 35. It's like arguing over which reg breathes the best. With a blindfold on you'd never know (for the most part). I own a 35# VDH wing that I take with me to FL when I go.. I've never felt "drag" or heavy. It's just not something you'll notice.

There was actually (@stuartv I think?) posted pictures of 18#, 32#, and 35# wings. You can't tell the difference between the pictures at all.

I own a DR wing, it's amazing. Very well built (in my opinion).

Not being a fan of the bungees on the Voyager, I'd return it. The OMS also has stabilizer bars if you decide the STA doesn't suit you.

If truly only a “warm water diver” with no plan to ever dive cold the 27 is more than you need, the DR 35 is way over your need, it’s not overly streamlined being short and wide.

Not being a fan of the bungees on the Voyager, I'd return it. The OMS also has stabilizer bars if you decide the STA doesn't suit you.
Bungees are easily unlaced on the Voyager (i agree they are not really needed).

Ironically, OMS was the brand that "popularized" bungee wings back in the day. They really went overboard with the tight bungees.

If truly only a “warm water diver” with no plan to ever dive cold the 27 is more than you need, the DR 35 is way over your need, it’s not overly streamlined being short and wide.
Could ask to exchange for a DR Travel Wing.

I am a warm water diver (mostly either quarry or the tropics), so I'm not sure the extra lift would ever be needed, and I don't have any plans on dry suit diving. I normally dive with 8-10 lbs, so I bought the stainless BP and the extension, which should put me about spot on without having to add weight in fresh water, and only a couple of pounds in salt water.
True you may never need the extra lift, and many of us don't use dry suits. But are you that confident you'll never want to dive California, with a full 5 or 7-mm wetsuit and a 95-cf steel tank? Or maybe a Galapagos trip, where you get in amongst rocks and need full wetsuit exposure protection even if you go during a warmer time of year (which might not be the time to see something you want, like whale sharks)?

Fear/Uncertainty/Doubt can plague any decision, and it's not like we're talking about which car to buy. Years ago when organizing a BP/W system purchase for myself, I struggled with a similar decision on wing size, and decided I wanted some 'lift reserve,' just in case. There's a quarry in town that's deep, and when I dove there (it's been a few years), it was around 45 degrees in the bottom, and I like to use my 130-cf high pressure steel tank, so will 5-mm wetsuit and gloves, 7-mm hood, and a big steel tank, having plenty of lift seemed wise.

As you can tell from other responses, there are people who'd go either way. Just something to think about.

The bungees on the voyager are nothing like like old OMS bungee system. The DR system is all on one side and does not restrict the wing in any way. It merely pulls it in a bit when not fully inflated. HOG wings have the same bungee system.
The old OMS system wrapped completely around the wing to try and control a massive amount of material necessary for the wing's 90-100lb lift capacity.

You'll never feel the difference between 27 vs 35. It's like arguing over which reg breathes the best. With a blindfold on you'd never know (for the most part). I own a 35# VDH wing that I take with me to FL when I go.. I've never felt "drag" or heavy. It's just not something you'll notice.

There was actually (@stuartv I think?) posted pictures of 18#, 32#, and 35# wings. You can't tell the difference between the pictures at all.

I own a DR wing, it's amazing. Very well built (in my opinion).

IIRC, I posted pics of a VDH 35 and a HOG 23. And later, maybe, the VDH 35 and the VDH 18.

As for the OP's issue, I note that the OMS wing says it's 1000 denier nylon and the DR is 1680 denier ballistic nylon. That makes it sound like the DR would be a little tougher.

I have 2 DR wings (the Rec EXP and the Classic XT) for diving doubles. They have been excellent.

I also have a DR Nomad XT wing on my CCR. It has also been excellent. But, it is something like 10(-ish?) years old. Not sure as it was on my CCR when I bought it. It started leaking some from the inner bladder. Pinhole leaks from wear from the inner bladder rubbing against the inside of the shell over time. It is old enough that I don't fault it for that. I emailed DR. They had me send it to them and they replaced the bladder. I think it cost me $100 for all of that. I really appreciated that their customer service responded quickly and then they fixed the wing quickly and for a reasonable price.

I have or have had wings from OMS, Dive Rite, Halcyon, Vintage Double Hose, HOG, Oxycheq, and Deep Sea Supply. Of those, some of them have had had a shape that resulted in lift in the wrong part of the wing, giving me trim that needed a tail weight. All my DR wings have given me lift distributed such that I have been able to get good trim without adding weight (anywhere).

I now use DR wings for doubles and VDH wings for single tank.

I like Dive Rite wings.

Not being a fan of the bungees on the Voyager, I'd return it.

They come right off. I can't see that as a reason to return it.

I now use DR wings for doubles and VDH wings for single tank.

I like Dive Rite wings.

I'm in the same boat. DR wing for doubles and VDH for singles. I own 4 (2 and 2) and they're perfect (to me).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom