Keep it, or ask for return?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

am i seeing correctly that you have a long hose primary, and a normal length octo as well? if so, what's the idea behind that?
It's still the left over octo hose from my original setup, with my jacket BCD. It's on the list to get replaced. Already have a 90* for it when I get it replaced. What's the "go to" length for the octo in long hose. Being 6' 4", I went with the 84" primary.

It's still the left over octo hose from my original setup, with my jacket BCD. It's on the list to get replaced. Already have a 90* for it when I get it replaced. What's the "go to" length for the octo in long hose. Being 6' 4", I went with the 84" primary.

With a 7’ hose on your primary, your secondary would generally have a 22 to 24” hose, and no angle adapter. Being so tall, you might prefer a 24”.

What Stuart said, I like a 22 with doubles, as it sits nice and tight. I would guess a 22 with an angle on a single tank would sit about the same.

Cut a piece of cord, or rope, or anything fairly stiff and have somebody hold it against the first stage while you are wearing it. Shorten it until it binds when you turn your head, then buy an inch or two longer.

The hose on the inflator looks like it could be a couple of inches shorter.

(I would replace that harness with a single piece of webbing too. You have enough D-rings there to make a spare for a friend.)

The hose on the inflator looks like it could be a couple of inches shorter.

(I would replace that harness with a single piece of webbing too. You have enough D-rings there to make a spare for a friend.)
I'm curious about the rationale for these suggestions, as I've seen this sort of thing come up before and I don't have a good familiarity with what drives the decision.

1.) Is the low pressure inflator hose being a couple inches longer than necessary (if it is, I can't judge it) a hassle? Would it be worth buying a shorter one?

2.) I've often seen people advise the 'single piece of webbing' route, but I thought that was because it's cheaper than the deluxe harnesses, and that if anything happened (say, a strap was somehow cut or so damaged you wanted to replace it), you had to rethread the whole thing.

Looking at that photo, I take it he's already got one of the deluxe (by whatever name) harnesses. Does a single piece of webbing still have some sort of advantage?

3.) The criticism of unnecessary D-rings is one I've heard elsewhere before. They are fairly small and unobstrusive, and I'm guessing the idea is to make sure there're enough (the idea of partially unthreading a harness to add one later is off-putting to me, at least). It is just a matter of taste, or are they seen as problematic? Any thoughts on how many D-rings ought to put on a system?

I've been wondering about some of these things, based on what I've read in other threads, so when you brought it up, I figured this would be a good time to ask somebody.

Bowed out hoses and extra padding and D-rings won't kill you, I suppose, any more than dangling consoles or octos, but they're unnecessary and, in the opinion of many, unsightly. One D-ring on each shoulder strap, one on the left side of the waist belt to clip off SPGs and stages, and one each on the front and back of the crotch strap. If you can't get into a one-piece harness because of anatomical issues, there are a lot cleaner alternatives than the one shown.

Simple webbing allows greater positioning options. I like my D-rings about level with my collar bone so I can reach across my chest. If nipple-height, the ring jams into my inner/upper arm. I could be wrong, but the rings appear fixed on that harness and pretty low.

To avoid dangling, I secure things to the strap below the ring with an elastic band. That tends to hinder access if I were to have a buckle or D-ring below it. In practice, I've not needed more than one ring on each shoulder. (There's room on the ring for several boltsnaps.)

I'm curious about the rationale for these suggestions, as I've seen this sort of thing come up before and I don't have a good familiarity with what drives the decision.

1.) Is the low pressure inflator hose being a couple inches longer than necessary (if it is, I can't judge it) a hassle? Would it be worth buying a shorter one?

2.) I've often seen people advise the 'single piece of webbing' route, but I thought that was because it's cheaper than the deluxe harnesses, and that if anything happened (say, a strap was somehow cut or so damaged you wanted to replace it), you had to rethread the whole thing.

Looking at that photo, I take it he's already got one of the deluxe (by whatever name) harnesses. Does a single piece of webbing still have some sort of advantage?

3.) The criticism of unnecessary D-rings is one I've heard elsewhere before. They are fairly small and unobstrusive, and I'm guessing the idea is to make sure there're enough (the idea of partially unthreading a harness to add one later is off-putting to me, at least). It is just a matter of taste, or are they seen as problematic? Any thoughts on how many D-rings ought to put on a system?

I've been wondering about some of these things, based on what I've read in other threads, so when you brought it up, I figured this would be a good time to ask somebody.

Thread hijack. Many folks transitioning from a more conventional BC feel the need for a "comfort" harness. These are usually overly festoooned with additional and multiple D-rings and plastic snaps. If a feller likes all of that and enjoys it and may even have use for it, by my leave, I do not care. But, since you asked and perhaps at some point the OP may wish to simplify his rig, a Hog(arthian) rig has three (unbent) D rings, one on each shoulder strap up high at nipple level and one on the left hip. Some folks may add a fourth on the right hip to clip a sausage off. As well, there is usually a scooter (camera) ring on the front of the crotch strap and often another on the crotch strap way up against the plate. That is it, no more D rings. The webbing is usually the stiff or at least the semi-stiff type to ease doffing and donning. Yes, one piece webbing can be a PITA to set up the first time, after that the pain tolerance is grown accustomed too.

I like those Legend regs, nice! Since the OP is a big guy, tall, I would suggest a 24 inch for his secondary and a 22 inch for his BC inflator and a 30 for his spg (or a 26 if good eyesight).

As to plastic clips, well, they are a failure point and an unessacary complication. So, I hear that is silly because they never break. Well they do break/crack, usually along the mold seam. And, there is just no reason to have them. I could say, and it is just an opinion, if a divers wants to go BP/wing, then just do it Hog or Minimalist and leave the fluff and extras behind in the wake. One of my rigs, my most used kit, not pure Hog but close enough, modified to my uses:

A rant, I hate bent D-rings! The D-rings flip up and down so why do we need them bent except to catch on stuff and get in the way, especially if a feller was to have a dozen of them all over.

And on topic, I prefer to get what I ordered and picked out. If a substitution is needed because the product ordered is not available then I would like to have that clarified by the seller before shipping.

James

The ring on the front of the crotch strap also comes in handy as a place to attach a reef hook in places like Palau.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom