Keep it, or ask for return?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kaneda13

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
In a previous thread, I've talked about the long road ahead of me that leads to tech diving. I'm working on buying my gear now, so as I continue to work on the rec diving certs, I'll be getting more and more familiar with my new gear. I recently purchased the OMS Comfort harness III and the stainless steel backplate. I have been extremely happy with this. I also ordered the OMS tank adapter, mainly for the additional weight, but also be 6-4, having a little more room between me and my tank feel good. Now, late last week I ordered the OMS Mono Performance Wing (I've got a bit of OCD, and really like all my gear to match. During my last dive trip, one of our guides asked if I worked for Aqualung). Anyway, my package arrived today, and it's not what I ordered. The box was sealed, and the inner plastic bag was for the OMS wing I ordered, however inside the bag is a DiveRite Voyager EXP. Surprisingly, it's the Blue/Black model, and my gear definitely has a blue theme (again, see OCD above). The wing is still new, just a warehouse issue I'm guessing. I have done little research on the Dive Rite brand, and the pricing is only $23 different (DiveRite is more) than the one I ordered. I'm guessing if I contact the seller, they would offer to just let me keep it as I'm sure sending this one back, and sending me the OMS would cost them more than $23 in shipping. The one I order was at 27lbs lift, and this one is a 35lbs lift. I am a warm water diver (mostly either quarry or the tropics), so I'm not sure the extra lift would ever be needed, and I don't have any plans on dry suit diving. I normally dive with 8-10 lbs, so I bought the stainless BP and the extension, which should put me about spot on without having to add weight in fresh water, and only a couple of pounds in salt water. So, to the crux my my post, should I keep the DiveRite, or request a return and the correct wing?

As you received the incorrect wing it is up to the seller to replace it. Buying online will always be a risk for something to go wrong compared to purchasing from your LDS.

However, that said, I'd keep the Voyager.

I would at least contact the seller, maybe they made an honest mistake and somebody else is waiting for their order and got yours. Perhaps nobody else is waiting for it, and they give you the option to keep it.

What do you mean with a bit of OCD? Wanting to have things nicely match is not a disorder, it is a personality trade. Nothing wrong with that, haha.

IMO using gear from a range of different manufacturers sends the subliminal message that I am a discerning diver who selects the best performing product for my needs rather than being a brand groupie LOL. Hope that helps :)

If the Voyager fits your color theme, so much the better.

Don't know much on OMS wings, but I do know DiveRite is good.... you might be for the better on this one.

I love Dive Rite stuff. Their wings are excellent. I believe their wings are made in the US. Great customer service.

Keep it. There seems to be a common thread lately of people on scubaboard who are focused on small wings, squabbling over just a few pounds. I say you are better off with a little more spare buoyancy, 27lbs for a 6’4" person is practically nothing. And that voyager is a pretty streamlined wing that should be just fine.

You don’t say if you are wearing a weight belt or not. If you are not, would be curious to see how well the wing floats your full kit on its own in the water.

(I've got a bit of OCD, and really like all my gear to match....

Don't worry, that won't last forever. At some point you'll just like diving and won't care how your stuff looks as long as it works:)

You don’t say if you are wearing a weight belt or not. If you are not, would be curious to see how well the wing floats your full kit on its own in the water.
I'm not planning on wearing a weight belt. I'll be in the pool with my oldest son the 29th for his Try Scuba class, and I plan on bringing all my gear and my tank and playing around to see how it all feels. With my Jacket BCD I wore 10lbs in fresh water with a 3mm wetsuit, and in the ocean I was wearing 12lbs with a 3mm shorty, so we'll see how this new gear works. The BP i got was 4.8lbs, and the tank adapter is another 3.3lbs, so even without the weight of the harness and buckles, I should be pretty close to my fresh water diving weight. If needed, I would like to just get some trim pockets for my tank band.

your call, but personally if I order something I expect to receive what I ordered. DiveRite is probably better... but is it worth keeping if there is always going to be that feeling of .... it wasn't what I wanted????

Back
Top Bottom