Kauai vs. Molokai

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

uminchu

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi,

I'm heading to Hawaii for my honeymoon, and of course plan to use it for an excellent excuse to get wet. It may seem like a dumb question to some, but i'd love any advice about whether "in general" people believe one to be better than the other. My fiancee is not a beginner, but isn't an AOW and has a few confidence issues. Any ideas? It is my honeymoon, i don't want to get into trouble too soon:D .

Thanks

Molakai has only a couple operators, I think.

Molakai is very "quiet".

very, very quiet.

if you know what I mean.

I dive Molakai from boats out of Oahu.

The diving is nice. I stayed there twice, not enough food there for me, to be honest.

So...Kauai.

I'd take a long look at Maui or the Big Island.

Thanks for you speedy reply.

Quiet is probably good for a honeymoon. So, that'll be fine. Are the dive sites good? Great? Fantastic?

Well, I am not familiar with the comercial sites, just the ones we "found" using Mike Severn's book Dive, Hawaii. (excellent, BTW)

The sea cliffs off the north shore are the highest in the world and the wall off the north shore is very dramatic.

There is a condo development on the west shore, where I stayed (on a golf course).

I flew in on a 6 seater "George's aviation" from Honolulu which was very fun.
Later, I packed my stuff in a dry bag and swam from shore (no docks!) to a friend's boat from Oahu. We dove the south shore (lots of healthy coral and fish like grouper we don't see too much)

You have to plan ahead for meals because sometimes everything is closed. The food options made me feel like I was on Survivor.

I think I will never spend the money to go to Kauai again. Maui or the Big Island. and for what it's worth, I think Oahu has dives equal to both, just WAY TOO MANY people!

I had a terrific time in Kauai, Oahu and on the Big Island. Next time I'll try Maui. However, between the two choices, I'd pick Kauai. Easy diving and wonderful turtles!

Dave

Id have to say of the isles Ive done, Kauai is at the botom for diving but number three for topside. I guess it depends on what you like...Big Isle is quiet and private if you get away from Kona, but if in Kona, it's still pretty quiet. Maui has night life and shoping. Oahu sucks unless you like to shop. The "sub" isles have limited ,,,,um everything, which is great for some people,like me.

Thanks for all the information.

Basically, we are looking to rent a private cottage on, or near, the beach on one of the quieter islands. The diving would not be "THE REASON" per say. Just a bonus. It wouldn't be more that 2 days of diving in a week stay.

Am i to understand Kauai has the better diving sites?

Wow,

I'm loving the communications i'm getting. I guess the smaller islands appealed to us for those reasons too, Wildcard. Although, not enough food might be tough. Although, there's nothing wrong with a good BBQ! Are there plenty of shops to get supplies?

If you get away from KONA on the Big Island, does it become basically like the smaller islands? Meaning not much of anything?

Are there plenty of shops to get supplies?
no...that's the thing.

There is nothing there, even in the store.

All islands have remote areas, if you ask me. Even Oahu.

but, when all else fails, you can drive to a store!

Back
Top Bottom