Kauai vs. Molokai

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

catherine96821:
Well, I am not familiar with the comercial sites, just the ones we "found" using Mike Severn's book Dive, Hawaii. (excellent, BTW)

The sea cliffs off the north shore are the highest in the world and the wall off the north shore is very dramatic.

There is a condo development on the west shore, where I stayed (on a golf course).

I flew in on a 6 seater "George's aviation" from Honolulu which was very fun.
Later, I packed my stuff in a dry bag and swam from shore (no docks!) to a friend's boat from Oahu. We dove the south shore (lots of healthy coral and fish like grouper we don't see too much)

You have to plan ahead for meals because sometimes everything is closed. The food options made me feel like I was on Survivor.

Sorry, catherine... did you mean Molokai or Kauai?

Molakai...

Somebody posted this site the other day, and I saved it. (Kauai)

Looks about my speed:

http://www.poipuvacationhome.com/

Honestly, Molakai felt hostile to me.

The couples on both sides of us drank and fought all night. (locals) And we were staying at one of the nicer places over there. I think Molakai has a lot of problems, to be honest.

That's exactly the advice i need. So, Kauai has more places to get supplies? I don't mind having to work a bit to get what we need. But it does help if it is "somewhere". I'll look more deeply into Kauai.

I :heart: SCUBABOARD... YOU ALL ARE AWESOME!

Who did you dive with in Kauai?

Final stupid question, how long does it take from one coast to the other?

Uminchu: Kauai is fabulous! I've been there twice and would gladly go back again. Although I wasn't certified at the time so I can't comment on the diving. Send me a PM with your email if I you'd like some tips on site seeing, restaurants, etc.

We've stayed in Poipu and Princeville and favor Princeville and the north shore.

Was just on Molokai last weekend... very nice, but I can see that there might be some "locals" problems... I wouldn't go out at night (in Kaunakakai) alone.

On the other hand, it was a very pleasant stay, with some very neat things to see.

There is little-to-no shore diving there (the barrier reef that is almost a mile offshore prevents that, since it's so shallow to get to that point), and apparently only one dive shop that is actually on-island (according to them). They run charters out of the harbour at $135pp for a 2t charter, min 4 people. They run a 3t charter to the north shore for around $260pp.

Didn't get a "friendly" vibe around there, really, but certainly got the "small town" vibe.

Didn't get a "friendly" vibe around there, really, but certainly got the "small town" vibe.

You know, that is very unusual for me to feel that way... but I don't think they like outsiders too much there.

During the big canoe race, even with people from all over the world, including other South Pacific Islander nations..the mood was not welcoming.

At least if you are on a boat, you are insulated from that.

The people I know from Molakai, over here, are some of the friendliest, on the other hand.

Hmmmm... It's a tough one.

I guess the real question is if we can get what we need, plan ahead, and basically just hang where we are staying (we were thinking a private cottage on the North Shore), with it's own beach and everything. Then we'd be ok. I guess it doesn't really need to be "friendly", as long as it isn't "hostile", which i can't image it really could be...

It's an ongoing argument...err.. conversation with my fiancee.

well, I don't know that hostile could be used to describe it, but when we were out at night, we were in large groups, so there wasn't really any issue of violence... though there were a couple times I was thankful that there were several of us walking together. :)

Although, I've received worse stink-eye from trying to cross Front St. (Lahaina, Maui) on a crosswalk than I did on Molokai.

I love Kauai! It is a beautiful place to take pictures, and is very laid back. I have not dove there yet, but my wife and I have been there three times. We are going back in a month, and I will be diving then. The diving on Mauai is very good, and there are lots of shore dives there. Rent some scooters to extend your range. Diving off Kona is very good as well. But I saw more turtles in Mauai. Oahu has some nice diving as well (such as the corsair)... However, I think Oahu is too much like LA, way too crowded.

Back
Top Bottom