Katrina

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

H2Andy:
all i can say is that you managed to misunderstand the article you quote,
as well as the proposed aid package. also, you don't seem to undestand
what is meant by cost-benefit analysis. as a result, the above
figure is meaningless mumbo-jumbo.

a little knowledge is a dangerous thing

You sure do entertain me........nice.

Probably one useful thing we could do is to put as much pressure as possible on our government to take drastic action to deal with this horrifying crisis. I can't help wondering if our already overstretched military situation is a major factor in what appears to be a hopelessly botched response to this.

It's astonishing to me that with the vast arsenal of military equipment and personnel we have, at HUGE expense, we cannot adequately rescue these people in a major city on our own land or establish some sort of safety and order. Maybe I'm naive and uninformed about the difficulties involved.

One unpleasant anecdote I read was that hundreds of refugees in hotels in Tallahassee are being evicted this weekend so that fans can see the FSU-Miami football game. As a graduate of FSU (and a fan) I'm outraged by this callous disregard for suffering. I'm ashamed that my alma mater does not seem to have the integrity to put it's priorities in order here.

mattboy:
I read was that hundreds of refugees in hotels in Tallahassee are being evicted this weekend so that fans can see the FSU-Miami football game. As a graduate of FSU (and a fan) I'm outraged by this callous disregard for suffering. I'm ashamed that my alma mater does not seem to have the integrity to put it's priorities in order here.

Well you can be proud of the State you now call home.

http://www.nola.com/newsflash/weath...l-50/1125622144113640.xml&storylist=hurricane

QUETZAL:
I saw this also before going to bed the night that Katrina was starting to hit the outer islands of LA. So I fail to see your point Bugman.

You saw that as it was hitting the islands, you said it yourself. How many cane's have been much stronger before getting closer inland to get weaker, very quickly. Ivan, Opal, Dennis, should I name more? Do you think that they had time to rebuild levys, when they realized Katrina was actually gonna hit - when it was hitting the barrier islands, just like you quoted?

You can't blame anyone for that.

Yes, people have been saying this will happen for decades, but it hasn't happened in 40 years, so people tend to take it less seriously. Nobody predicted WHEN it would happen, not that it matters.

Its a pointless arguement anyway, its happened, there are more important things to worry about.

SuPrBuGmAn:
You saw that as it was hitting the islands, you said it yourself. How many cane's have been much stronger before getting closer inland to get weaker, very quickly. Ivan, Opal, Dennis, should I name more? Do you think that they had time to rebuild levys, when they realized Katrina was actually gonna hit - when it was hitting the barrier islands, just like you quoted?

You can't blame anyone for that.

Yes, people have been saying this will happen for decades, but it hasn't happened in 40 years, so people tend to take it less seriously. Nobody predicted WHEN it would happen, not that it matters.

Its a pointless arguement anyway, its happened, there are more important things to worry about.
My point was that some of these guys are just leaving their bases today and how many days have people been dead?

I'm posting this instead of a link because it is from an industry website.
My Brother and Brother-in-law are on the road as I post, delivering Travel Trailers to Mississippi, from Clute Texas near Houston.

"As reports of the devastation delivered by Hurricane Katrina continue to mount, the recreational vehicle industry is ramping up to provide temporary housing for storm victims.

Several manufacturers, including Nappanee, Ind.-based Gulf Stream Coach Inc. and Fleetwood Enterprises Inc., Riverside, Calif., apparently are poised to enter into contracts with the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) to build specialized trailers.

The Press Enterprise, Riverside, reported that Fleetwood, which routinely sells trailers and manufactured housing to FEMA after disasters, says it can increase production to meet an anticipated call for victims of Katrina.

Gulf Stream announced it is hiring an additional 200 employees to handle the anticipated influx of orders while Jeff Tryka, director of investor relations for Coachmen Industries Inc., Elkhart, Ind., told a local newspaper that it will "be doing some work to help" storm victims.

But before any formalized arrangement can be negotiated with builders, FEMA is tapping into manufacturers’ and dealers’ on-hand stock for immediate assistance.

"Some of our southern dealers are calling and saying they will buy whatever we have," said Joe Hosinski, marketing manager for Goshen Ind.-based Dutchmen Manufacturing Inc., a subsidiary of Thor Industries Inc. "We have sold our open inventory from our normal production run and we are putting in additional orders for our plants in Goshen and Middlebury. At this point we are looking at adding staff and increasing production to help with efforts."

Larger dealerships in proximity to Katrina’s destructive path are setting up supply chains to help feed product to FEMA. The Emerald Coast RV outlet in Gulf Breeze, Fla., a FreedomRoads dealer, is serving as a hub of sorts for the national retail network.

"We are receiving units from all the FreedomRoads stores," said David Randall, general manager at the Gulf Breeze store. "We’re probably going to ship a 1,000 units in the first wave."

Randall said he is teaming with Dusty’s Camper World in Bartow, Fla., to organize efforts, which include setting up satellite lots in Gulfport, Miss., Robertsdale, Ala., and Louisiana.

"I’ll be handling the retail end, meaning dealing with insurance companies and people who don’t qualify for FEMA units," Randall said. "Frank Crum at Dusty’s is handling the FEMA operation. The satellite lot in Gulfport will serve as a staging area for FEMA."

FreedomRoads, with 4,000 units in stock, is also shipping a thousand units out of its inventories to its Southwest RV store in Katy, Texas, just west of the Houston Astrodome, where large numbers of hurricane refugees are being sent, according to FreedomRoads President Marcus Lemonis.

"They're for retail, wholesale, whatever we can do with them," said Lemonis. "And we've also placed significant orders with various manufacturers to replenish our dealership inventory, which we've just depleted, and to provide a pipeline for our distribution in the Gulf Coast area. As long as gas prices don't go to $40 a gallon, we'll be OK." "

Rick, I am looking for any information on 111 Buena Vista Drive, Long Beach MS. I read that you lived there and might have information. My parents whom lived there are living with me since Katrina and we are trying to find information about the house. Please help ease our pain if you can.

c684629@hotmail.com

There is a Blog on http://www.sunherald.com under "Post Damage Reports" that is great.

My son's home is in Forest Cove Subdivision in D'Iberville and there was a person who drove down his street today and reported that there was minimal damage.

You may find some info about Long Beach. From the aerial pictures anything south of the tracks looks like it was cleared by a bulldozer.

I sincerely hope that your family's place was spared.

I know that it is difficult to be in an area with no communication and inadequate supplies but I think that the media circus is looking over the fact that nowhere else on Earth would the response be as quick and decisive as it has been to that area. Think of what would be true if the provisions and rescue efforts so far had not been there. Dp they ever stop to think that the batteries on police radios have long since been dead or that the local police have been working without sleep for so long and all the time knowing that their own homes and families are in peril? The Biloxi and Harrison County authorities lost most of their vehicles and assets. Have they ever sat down to think about the massive logistics in moving more than 1400 guardsmen per day into an area?

Even my liberal friends think that we should send in Special Forces and take out the snipers. The looting is moot because the stuff is just going to ruin anyway. The shooting and rape must stop!

But - on the other hand - we're all getting raped by the oil companies.

This is not a Louisiana State Emergency - This is a national emergency that will continue to affect us all for months.

The Survivor's Mantra: "I'm still standing!"

Here's an email I just got:

From a Brother on the ground....
All fine in Baton Rouge so far. We have 50,000 refugees in a town of 300,000 so you can imagine the problems. So far the lid has been kept on and FEMA is starting to show a bigger presence. They are talking about moving the bulk of them to other cities. So stand by. You may be getting a chunk of the Big Easy coming to you.

I went down there yesterday on a SWAT operation to rescue specific individuals..... The physical damage to the city, other than flooding, is not catastrophic. The city looks the same in the daylight as it always did. The human situation on the other hand is insane. There is NO law and order anywhere in the city limits. The area of the French Quarter is a free fire zone as is the area around the Superdome. We were all over the city and we were the ONLY organized law enforcement on the street, period. There were 14 of us. Saw some dead bodies but not an overwhelming number. As of 3 p.m. yesterday there were only about 100 or so NOPD officers left on the job. The rest of the 1100 man department had quit and left the city with their families and I don't blame them. Most of them had been simply thrown onto the street the morning after the storm and had not see or spoken to their chain of command since. I mean NO contact. NOPD SWAT is about all that is left and we gave them ammunition. They looked like they had been through hell. We were out of the city by dark. One of the eeriest sights that I have ever seen was driving over the bridge and seeing a black void where the lights of N.O used to be.

We are going back down there in a day or so and set up a more permanent presence. This thing is going to start being fixed so the situation will start to improve over the next couple of weeks. There is going to have to be a complete federal take over and martial law declared over the whole area for an unspecified amount of time.

Back
Top Bottom