Katrina

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba_Jenny:
It's easy to point fingers and accuse the other side of mismanagement, different priorities, whatever. The fact is that there is a natural/national disaster in our yards and what are YOU doing about it? Complaining that the "They" are doing it wrong is not going to get those folks into a safer environment. If you are so sure that the rescuse can be accomplished a better way, then get to NO and start talking with sweat.
/rant

God help all those folks.
I have made a financial contribution, and not $1.98.
And We "our government (that is, us)" doesn't want any "Renegade Rescuers".
But my Brother and Brother-in-law are presently on the road driving Travel Trailers down to Miss. for survivors to live in.

True. But the Salvation Army or the Red Cross or Catholic Charities, any number of other charities could use your help.

MB:
I think an extended discussion of the issues involving readiness would be a good discussion, but let's not do that here and now. This thread doesn't need to go political. There's plenty of time for that. I too have utter contempt for those who are charged with care and readiness, but that needs to be said on another day, and in a thread separate from this one. This thread is still serving a very useful purpose for connecting people, exchanging information, and allowing some mourning.
Ok enoughs enough, but it burns me up to see backslapping where NONE is deserved!

H2Andy:
no clue... you might want to talk to an insurance statistician
Found it $400,000!
"The implicit valuation of a life in this case is $400,000. Thus benefit of the reduced risk project is the expected number of lives saved times the implicit value of a life. For the highway project this is 6x$400,000= $2,400,000 annually."

http://www2.sjsu.edu/faculty/watkins/cba.htm

10,000 lives X $400,000 = 4 Billion and the congress is going to pass a bill worth 10.5 B

"In a letter to Capitol Hill that accompanied the request, Bush said the situation "requires immediate action by the Congress to ensure that the federal response to this disaster uninterrupted." And he put lawmakers on notice that the $10 billion was only a first installment, with another request expected after a fuller assessment of the storm's impact."
http://www.nola.com/newsflash/weath...ics-5/112561974463264.xml&storylist=hurricane

$10.5 B by $400,000 = 26,250 lives.

My Point is We "our government (that is, us)" has/had 10,000 body bags ready for this storm with a human value of $4 Billion and now is going to spend @ least $10.5 B! Looks like someone screwed up on the cost benefit analysis!

QUETZAL:
$10.5 B by $400,000 = 26,250 lives.

all i can say is that you managed to misunderstand the article you quote,
as well as the proposed aid package. also, you don't seem to undestand
what is meant by cost-benefit analysis. as a result, the above
figure is meaningless mumbo-jumbo.

a little knowledge is a dangerous thing

H2Andy:
all i can say is that you managed to misunderstand the article you quote,
as well as the proposed aid package. also, you don't seem to undestand
what is meant by cost-benefit analysis. as a result, the above
figure is meaningless mumbo-jumbo.

a little knowledge is a dangerous thing

Advocatus Diaboli

QUETZAL:
if I'm ever guilty you might come in handy.

you can't afford me :14:

Back
Top Bottom