Katrina

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The army corps of Engineers knew NOLA was barely safe with a Cat 3, but I quote "did a cost benefit analysis and believe they made the right choice" Sorry I don't have a link or name but that’s what a army corps of Engineers spokesman said on Public TV last night.

i am quite familiar with the issues

all i am saying is that maybe this is not the time and the place for
political diatribe, while men and women are putting themselves at
risk to help others

that's all

QUETZAL:
We "our government (that is, us)" knew that this was going to be a catastrophe, not a normal really bad hurricane, and We "our government (that is, us)" did almost nothing, in comparison to what needed to be done, to prepare for this. It still amazes me how unprepared We "our government (that is, us)" choose to be.

You can't predict exactly where, when, and how hard a hurricane is going to hit. Katrina was a Cat 5 at one point, it hit as a 4. Ivan was a low 5 at one point, I believe, but hit as a weak 3. Opal was a 3-4, and hit as a 1 or 2. Its not uncommon for substantial weakening of a storm before landfall... not to mention a sharp turn at the last moment. It could have just as easily not been a catastrophe.

BIGSAGE136:
I'm driving up to Fort Benning to see my youngest son off to Iraq this weekend. This is a military family. #'s people. This government doesnt have them right. You need the right # to get the job done. If you are going to do something then damnit do it. That way you SAVE lives and $$$. I'm simply sorry to see the tax $$$ I pay, and the souls THIS family puts into the national budget, to do what WE as a collective people want done NOT go by the numbers.

We are talking crisis. Forget the place. Lets talk about PEOPLE'S LIVES. It aint getting done. Our greatest military leaders said put more people into our international offensive military effort. We fluffed that one. Big time. Do some research.

OK here's another chance. We have a lot of people that SURVIVED possibly the greatest tradegy this country has seen in its history. Forget the ones that have been resuced. People are dieing of exposure on park benches. And we could put this behind us like a cake walk. Will we do it. We can.

I'm watching. And I am simply not impressed.
Amen Brother!

H2Andy:
someone has an axe to grind...

sadly, you are grinding it over the human suffering of quite a lot of people

I certainly do. Even breaking it down to a situation thats all about nothing but the security of this country's energy investment, and security. And I would correct the last portion of your comment to read " sadly, its being ground....."

Now if you are comfortable with this situation, and I find myself sadly in the minority...well then thats democracy.

But the cry from my corner is that what I am seeing is a crying shame. Oh well...Cheap urban renewal. Whats new?

BIGSAGE136:
Now if you are comfortable with this situation, and I find myself sadly in the minority...well then thats democracy.

no sage... i don't find myself comfortable with the situtation. there's certainly
enough blame to go around.

but things are coming together, and help is being marshalled in enormous
quantities, and people are doing the best they can

it will never be enough if you are on the ground, hurt

but this has never happened before. i don't think even you understand the
magnitude of the catastrophe, and why help is going to be slow in coming.

your'e talking about the same area as ALL OF GREAT BRITAIN affected by this
storm. you're talkking about an ENTIRE CITY (or 80%) of it, under water.

no one has seen anything like this before. this is a painful learning experience
for everybody.

SuPrBuGmAn:
You can't predict exactly where, when, and how hard a hurricane is going to hit. Katrina was a Cat 5 at one point, it hit as a 4. Ivan was a low 5 at one point, I believe, but hit as a weak 3. Opal was a 3-4, and hit as a 1 or 2. Its not uncommon for substantial weakening of a storm before landfall... not to mention a sharp turn at the last moment. It could have just as easily not been a catastrophe.
PREVIOUS POST

Not a joke...a real NOAA/NWS announcement

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A MOST POWERFUL HURRICANE WITH UNPRECEDENTED
STRENGTH...RIVALING THE INTENSITY OF HURRICANE CAMILLE OF 1969.

MOST OF THE AREA WILL BE UNINHABITABLE FOR WEEKS...PERHAPS LONGER. AT
LEAST ONE HALF OF WELL CONSTRUCTED HOMES WILL HAVE ROOF AND WALL
FAILURE. ALL GABLED ROOFS WILL FAIL...LEAVING THOSE HOMES SEVERELY
DAMAGED OR DESTROYED.

THE MAJORITY OF INDUSTRIAL BUILDINGS WILL BECOME NON FUNCTIONAL.
PARTIAL TO COMPLETE WALL AND ROOF FAILURE IS EXPECTED. ALL WOOD
FRAMED LOW RISING APARTMENT BUILDINGS WILL BE DESTROYED. CONCRETE
BLOCK LOW RISE APARTMENTS WILL SUSTAIN MAJOR DAMAGE...INCLUDING SOME
WALL AND ROOF FAILURE.

HIGH RISE OFFICE AND APARTMENT BUILDINGS WILL SWAY DANGEROUSLY...A
FEW TO THE POINT OF TOTAL COLLAPSE. ALL WINDOWS WILL BLOW OUT.

AIRBORNE DEBRIS WILL BE WIDESPREAD...AND MAY INCLUDE HEAVY ITEMS SUCH
AS HOUSEHOLD APPLIANCES AND EVEN LIGHT VEHICLES. SPORT UTILITY
VEHICLES AND LIGHT TRUCKS WILL BE MOVED. THE BLOWN DEBRIS WILL CREATE
ADDITIONAL DESTRUCTION. PERSONS...PETS...AND LIVESTOCK EXPOSED TO THE
WINDS WILL FACE CERTAIN DEATH IF STRUCK.

POWER OUTAGES WILL LAST FOR WEEKS...AS MOST POWER POLES WILL BE DOWN
AND TRANSFORMERS DESTROYED. WATER SHORTAGES WILL MAKE HUMAN SUFFERING
INCREDIBLE BY MODERN STANDARDS.

THE VAST MAJORITY OF NATIVE TREES WILL BE SNAPPED OR UPROOTED. ONLY
THE HEARTIEST WILL REMAIN STANDING...BUT BE TOTALLY DEFOLIATED. FEW
CROPS WILL REMAIN. LIVESTOCK LEFT EXPOSED TO THE WINDS WILL BE
KILLED.

AN INLAND HURRICANE WIND WARNING IS ISSUED WHEN SUSTAINED WINDS NEAR
HURRICANE FORCE...OR FREQUENT GUSTS AT OR ABOVE HURRICANE FORCE...ARE
CERTAIN WITHIN THE NEXT 12 TO 24 HOURS.

ONCE TROPICAL STORM AND HURRICANE FORCE WINDS ONSET...DO NOT VENTURE
OUTSIDE!

I saw this also before going to bed the night that Katrina was starting to hit the outer islands of LA. So I fail to see your point Bugman.

drbill:
Looking at the stories on the news, I have to wonder how a large city came to be built in such a potentially sensitive area.
Yeah like the other LA, Los Angeles.

H2Andy:
but things are coming together, and help is being marshalled in enormous
quantities, and people are doing the best they can

But that's the point the best hasn't nor is being done.
H2Andy:
your'e talking about the same area as ALL OF GREAT BRITAIN affected by this
storm. you're talkking about an ENTIRE CITY (or 80%) of it, under water.

no one has seen anything like this before.
But it was foreseen and in this magnitude! Anyone who watch public TV knows that.
Drowning New Orleans; October 2001
http://www.sciamdigital.com/browse....acenameCHAR=browse.cfm&sequencenameCHAR=itemP

NOVA MAY 9, 2003

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/venice/minu-trans.html

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom