Katrina

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One thing y'all are not realising is that there were TWO disasters, not one. The storm and the failure of the levy/pump system.No one expecetd them both at the same time. This is why it turned out the way it did. Had the levys held, N.O would be damaged but standing. Never ceases to amase me how fast liberals point fingers. Why should people be dependant on the govenrment for basic living needs? They knew the storm was coming, they were told to leave. They neither stocked up on food and water or left and somehow this is Bush's fault?

Wildcard:
One thing y'all are not realising is that there were TWO disasters, not one. The storm and the failure of the levy/pump system.No one expecetd them both at the same time. This is why it turned out the way it did. Had the levys held, N.O would be damaged but standing. Never ceases to amase me how fast liberals point fingers. Why should people be dependant on the govenrment for basic living needs? They knew the storm was coming, they were told to leave. They neither stocked up on food and water or left and somehow this is Bush's fault?

This has nothing to do with being liberal or blaming anyone in particular. And how about considering that no one wants to point fingers at all, but is mighty concerned if tomorrow it was one of our smiley faces looking something grim in the face.

After 911 we were sold the Dept of Homeland Security, and a lot of other things. A ton of money was put aside for this exact purpose. Responding to a national emergency. Now if a a large force of terrorist had hit the Gulf coast and caused this damage, are we to understand that there would have been NO response for 4-5 days because we would have to get ready?

While the National fuel supply just oozes into the Gulf are we going to sit around because its too tough to get there?

Is this the example of our national readiness?

Suppose this was a case of smallpox. A suitcase nuke?

The entire nation has one quarter of its energy lost. We already import over half of what we use daily.

Somebody better wake up and get mad.

Should the response have been better and quicker? Yes. Will it be in the future? Yes. Should we have been ready for something like this? Yes. Were we ready? Sort of. We have the national guard we have DMATs we have FEMA we have Red Cross. Should we be dependant on the government to provide for our daily needs? NO! There is no reason except stupidity that so many people were traped in N.O. There will always be some that can't move but most of those people you see on TV chose to stay and now blame everyone else for there situation.
Everyone has become so used to calling 911 and having instant response to there problems that they don't understand that big time disasters take big time logistics. Billy Bob in his fire engine can't rush in and save 100,000 people. It takes a movement of huge quantaties of supplies and people to do anything. This takes time.

Wildcard:
One thing y'all are not realising is that there were TWO disasters, not one. The storm and the failure of the levy/pump system.No one expecetd them both at the same time. This is why it turned out the way it did. Had the levys held, N.O would be damaged but standing.

WRONG!!!
WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I guess you did not read my link to the Scientific American article Titled:
Drowning New Orleans; October 2001

So I'll copy and paste part of it.

Drowning New Orleans; October 2001; by Mark Fischetti; 10 page(s)

THE BOXES are stacked eight feet high and line the walls of the large, windowless room. Inside them are new body bags, 10,000 in all. If a big, slow-moving hurricane crossed the Gulf of Mexico on the right track, it would drive a sea surge that would drown New Orleans under 20 feet of water. "As the water recedes," says Walter Maestri, a local emergency management director, "we expect to find a lot of dead bodies."New Orleans is a disaster waiting to happen. The city lies below sea level, in a bowl bordered by levees that fend off Lake Pontchartrain to the north and the Mississippi River to the south and west. And because of a damning confluence of factors, the city is sinking further, putting it at increasing flood risk after even minor storms. The low-lying Mississippi Delta, which buffers the city from the gulf, is also rapidly disappearing. A year from now another 25 to 30 square miles of delta marsh-an area the size of Manhattan-will have vanished. An acre disappears every 24 minutes. Each loss gives a storm surge a clearer path to wash over the delta and pour into the bowl, trapping one million people inside and another million in surrounding communities. Extensive evacuation would be impossible because the surging water would cut off the few escape routes. Scientists at Louisiana State University (L.S.U.), who have modeled hundreds of possible storm tracks on advanced computers, predict that more than 100,000 people could die. The body bags wouldnÆt go very far.

BIGSAGE136:
This has nothing to do with being liberal or blaming anyone in particular. And how about considering that no one wants to point fingers at all, but is mighty concerned if tomorrow it was one of our smiley faces looking something grim in the face.

After 911 we were sold the Dept of Homeland Security, and a lot of other things. A ton of money was put aside for this exact purpose. Responding to a national emergency. Now if a a large force of terrorist had hit the Gulf coast and caused this damage, are we to understand that there would have been NO response for 4-5 days because we would have to get ready?

While the National fuel supply just oozes into the Gulf are we going to sit around because its too tough to get there?

Is this the example of our national readiness?

Suppose this was a case of smallpox. A suitcase nuke?

The entire nation has one quarter of its energy lost. We already import over half of what we use daily.

Somebody better wake up and get mad.

Amen!

DANGER.....DANGER ..... there is a Nigerian email scam asking for donations (paid using your credit card) going around to help the American Red Cross and Salvation Army. The money collected will not go to the hurricane relief effort but to a Nigerian scam artist account ....... for more information go to www.scubaboard.com/t110896-.html for more details .....

Wildcard:
Should the response have been better and quicker? Yes. Will it be in the future? Yes. Should we have been ready for something like this? Yes. Were we ready? Sort of. We have the national guard we have DMATs we have FEMA we have Red Cross. Should we be dependant on the government to provide for our daily needs? NO! There is no reason except stupidity that so many people were traped in N.O. There will always be some that can't move but most of those people you see on TV chose to stay and now blame everyone else for there situation.
Everyone has become so used to calling 911 and having instant response to there problems that they don't understand that big time disasters take big time logistics. Billy Bob in his fire engine can't rush in and save 100,000 people. It takes a movement of huge quantaties of supplies and people to do anything. This takes time.

I can only call your response callous and woefully uninformed. 80 year olds with no $$$, no family, and no car find it hard to evac. Hospital patients tend to have the same problem. Now there is is also the homeless, and mentally impaired but we'll use those to cull the population. Maybe that will make you feel better :D

BIGSAGE136:
I can only call your response callous and woefully uninformed. 80 year olds with no $$$, no family, and no car find it hard to evac. Hospital patients tend to have the same problem. Now there is is also the homeless, and mentally impaired but we'll use those to cull the population. Maybe that will make you feel better :D

Also Sage I don't have time to read 83 pages today, and I skimmed it and didn't find what you were referring to @ http://www.cefa.fsu.edu/nopp_study.pdf
Please tell us what pages the info is on.

Like I said, some will not be able to leave. Callous? Yes, Uninformed, quite to the contrary. I have been involved with EMS/fire/disaster response/DMAT type things since I was 14 years old and started teaching CPR classes.
If the able bodied people would have left as told to then the rescources could have been used to rescue those that couldn't leave. They chose to stay and create the problem we have today.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom