K valve or a din any difference

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

O-ring once bubbled...

Another piece of info to add to it...if you get an Apeks do NOT do what I did. I had plenty of knowledgeable people (namely Uncle Pug and Lost Yooper) tell me NOT to get the Apeks yoke adapter and to get the yoke conversion kit. I didn't listen and got the adapter. It sucks....thing sticks out an extra 1-1.5 inches further than the yoke conversion kit and has a tendency to hit you in the back of the head. I finally got a yoke DS4 for a stage reg and it came yoke with a DIN conversion kit. The switchout takes less than 2 minutes and the difference is astounding...as a matter of fact, only a picture will do it justice.

I almost went the same route and purchased an adapter.Im so glad that i purchased the conversion kit instead especially after reading this post.:D

How much is the yoke conversion kit and is switching over difficult?? I have DINs on all m regs and put a poseidon Yoke adaptor on when travelling. It does stick out quite a bit.

Thanks

NetDoc once bubbled...

1) ALL valves use a captured O-Ring. Some are on the valve, and some are on the regulator. And yes, I have had my DIN o-rings blow! (Ask Walter, he was there)

I believe I was on the boat that day too wasn't I Pete?

First time I ever saw a din o-ring blow also.

Dave

Gorji once bubbled...
How much is the yoke conversion kit and is switching over difficult?? I have DINs on all m regs and put a poseidon Yoke adaptor on when travelling. It does stick out quite a bit.

Thanks
I acquired one by accident since I found a deal on a TX-40 yoke and then bought the DIN conversion kit (the removed yoke parts make up the yoke conversion kit). I would wager it is similarly priced though...and I think it was around $30 US.

Switching over couldn't be easier. You just remove the DIN fitting with an allen wrench (hole is in the center of where the o-ring is) and then put on the yoke fitting and tighten one nut.

I use to work in a diving center we had more than 100 din tank and all our rental reg. are Din as well.
And i do agree with O-ring about the :
{ It sucks....thing sticks out an extra 1-1.5 inches further than the yoke conversion kit and has a tendency to hit you in the back of the head }
O-ring u r using TX 50?

Netdoc, sounds like a grain of sand got into the DIN socket or maybe the O ring had a tiny crack.

Yes, a bit of clumsyness can missalign a yoke connector but I would say that it is unusual. Novice divers may occasionally do it; I once saw a guy clamp the reg on backwards. It was somewhat difficult to remove and set straight because the air pressure put force on the yoke screw.

Caliber, you need to figure out how much you like this diving thing and what your finances will be. If you contemplate going to double tanks and all that tech diving scene you probably should start getting used to DIN. Otherwise, netdoc's offer sounds good to me. The yoke configuration will be around the dive world for a long time and may be more convenient when traveling and renting tanks. It's your preference, really.

wooo talk about feedback, Thanks everyone. The tanks coming back from hydro soon and I'm sure the dive shop will try to convince me to switch. Not sure yet. Thanks to everyone who offered to swap. I might take you up on the offer.

wazza once bubbled...
I use to work in a diving center we had more than 100 din tank and all our rental reg. are Din as well.
And i do agree with O-ring about the :
{ It sucks....thing sticks out an extra 1-1.5 inches further than the yoke conversion kit and has a tendency to hit you in the back of the head }
O-ring u r using TX 50?
I have a TX-50, a TX-40, and an ATX-50 (all with DS4 firsts).

I couldn't, respectfully, disagree more with Walter. I'm happy yoke works well for you. I on the other hand want more out of my equipment. I have yet to see configurations set up for deeper diving that don't use a din application. As for cross threading the male into the female, you have to be smarter than the valve! The only exception for useing a yoke style would be the budget minded fellow, through lack of experience and or knowledge, who put together tanks so he could join the party. For those of you who fall into this catagory, I'm not picking on you. I genuinely feel din is safer. Have you ever been with a group of divers assembling equipment and you hear the continued rush of air. More times than not it's an o ring to yoke failure. Does the o ring stick to the din female, or fall out, some times, Yes! It happens with yoke as well but nearly as often. Is a din valve more expensive, Yes! This is one of those preference things, long hose/short hose, independant doubles/manifolds. I'm not here to make you change. There are obvious saftey reasons to use a din system. The Yoke system has been around forever. A humerous example, ( not to be done in reality ) would be to go to 200feet on an 80 cu.ft. tank. Could you do it, yes! Why would you, when you could go to 100 and stay longer, do it safer, and feel more comfortably about it. A din sys. will capture the o ring better! It's profile is lower and dosn't have that knob sticking out to get hit or caught. Din allows you to use either din or yoke, with the insert. It's your money, your decision. They are different for a reason, look on any web site and find out for your self. Don't take my word, or Walter's for it, research it!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom