Just got back from the Brac - lots of info

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bronccat

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi All,

Just got back from the Brac – this is our 4th year running.

I want to preface some of my comments by saying that after four years I may be biased in the recommendations I make because we have found a “home” there and I am now friends with some of the folks in these businesses – but I am earnest in my comments.

There are some great things happening.

NEW DIVE SHOP

First, there is a new dive operation on the island so we are back up to two.

We tend to shore dive a lot or dive with friends so we prefer a smaller group – this is where Brac Scuba Shack fits the bill. It’s a burgeoning family operation – and if you have dove with Brac Reef much, you probably know the owners - Martin and Liesel Van Der Touw.

Martin was with Reef Divers for 9 years. For a stretch of that time he was the general manager for all three island operations.

The shop has just opened - so don’t go in there looking for key chains and T shirts right away LOL. But the air is clean, the equipment is new or nice and the service is wonderful – including their extensive personal knowledge of the dive sites – both shore and boat.

Right now they are boat diving on Martin’s personal boat but the 31’ Renegade (with a head) is being built. He indicated they prefer to never take more than 8 divers at a time even thought the boat would take more – but that’s how I like it.

Nitrox and the big boat are coming in the next month or so.

Here is there contact information – they are just up the road near Brac Reef in the same building as 4d’s car rental.

Magic Jack 770.257.7970 during office hours
Local 345.948.8472
Cell 345.925.3215 (they just up the road and Liesel can be there in minutes for tanks, etc.)

Web Site (under development):
Brac Scuba Shack - Home

MARKERS for SHORE DIVES

The one thing I wanted when I went to the Brac the first time was a good map and good markings of the shore sites. Neither existed. I actually started developing a map / booklet but now I am pleased to say that efforts are being made by the board of tourism and business owners to improve both of these elements.

Red painted rocks are being placed at the access points and are visible from the road (similar to Bonaire). A guide is to follow as I understand it and there has been discussion of adding placards at the major sites outlining the features, terrain, bearings, etc. in the long run.

LODGING

If you want to stay somewhere private (3 units), with a POOL, beach, smoker, cabana, dead end road, no traffic, near airport / shops, under 10 minutes from Brac Reef (where we always eat / drink) – I think we stay there LOL.

I have provided a link below - you can rent either of the 1 BR units, the 2 BR or all 4 BR – this link is for all 4 BR / the entire property so don’t get sticker shock LOL.

North Side Vacation Rental - VRBO 273174 - 4 BR Cayman Brac House in Cayman Islands, Truly Amazing Tropical Beach Paradise on the Water with Pool

LION FISH

They are big, tasty, plentiful and dangerous. I am good friends with one of the DOE guys and although some areas have thinned there are plenty of pockets with BIGGER fish. Like 3X the size of what I saw my first year. The good news is that grouper are acquiring a taste. Dive pirates posted a video on FB right before we left (see below) of two grouper devouring a lion fish right off the spear! Don’t go lion fish hunting without prior experience and preferably go with someone who regularly cleans them if you intend to eat them. They are dangerous and not to be taken lightly. They WILL get aggressive in many cases if you miss with the spear – or just make enough contact to piss them off LOL. They are born fully venomous as I understand it so even though the little ones are cute – don’t get one in your trunks!

I know I am mostly preaching to the choir here – and many of you have more experience on this subject than I – but I thought it merited mentioning.

Fish Video

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=3755064116249

GENERAL SHOPPING

There is a newer store near the West End that I call “The Brac Wal-Mart”. The Shoppe is located in a big blue metal building on the North side. They have a bit of everything, mostly house wares and durable goods with a smattering of groceries. They are CHEAP – but we buy a lot of things that people don’t necessarily buy on vacation (like this years it was party supplies).

Marketplace now has deli meat – which is a pretty big deal.

SYLVIA’S REEF

Liesel turned us on to this shore dive – and I have to say it went straight to the top on my list. We love Scott’s dock because it’s super easy in and out, you can get to the wall (for a moment), and you have a lot of options – but Sylvia’s absolutely blew my mind.

Access is via a cut (old ramp) in the iron shore. There are urchins, but just on the sides so I was safely barefoot for entry. There are floats on ropes (3 I think) in sequence going out that take you to the mini-wall. It’s not quite due North, but I don’t have the bearing. There are lots of fisheries, great geo features, turtle, rays, and some swim-thrus we didn’t get to. Visibility here was the best on the island this trip and IIRC the top of the wall was about 35’ and the bottom was about 65 to 75’.

The site is on the North Side, East End just past the municipal (barge) dock on the left if you are heading east.

Let me know if you have questions and I will do my best to help.

Love the Brac – the Brac will Love you Back!

I didn't know Cayman Brac had shore diving; interesting. Never been there, but I've been to Bonaire 6 times so that's my frame of reference.

At the shore diving sites, roughly how far a swim out is typical, and how much of a factor is current?

Several wonderful shore dive sites, a few with ladders

Current is a non - factor when we have been there.

Swim out distance has been negligible on our dives unless trying to hit the wall from Scott's dock or dive the Russian Destroyer from Buccaneer.

The good thing is you are looking at coral heads and marine life almost immediately after hitting the water on a lot of these dives so you don't feel like you are "swimming to point A to see Y and Z"

Nice Report, Brac is a great place to dive, years ago took the last plane out before Gilbert hit, The Tourism Board has always assisted my groups over the years.Have you had a chance to dive Little Cayman and bloody Bay wall?

Thanks. We love it there.

We have dove bloody bay 4 or 5 times (AWESOME!), shark hole (have seen 2 sharks there) and other spots on the North side.

Also, finally took a boat ride around the East end of the Brac. The bluff is awe inspiring from that vantage point.

This was a great report. Have know Martin and Liesel for years. I will be going to the Brac in about a month. I will be sure to do some diving and get shore dive tanks from them. For those who don't think there is shore diving on the Brac haven't looked for it. You can find good shore dive on both the North and South sides. I am glade to hear that the tourist department is starting to advertise the shore diving. And I love the boat diving there. Shark Hole is just off the Island Time beach and an easy shore dive from there.

Thanks Bractime - nice house!

I think I misspoke when I said shark hole, we were was just around the corner from point of Sand on Little (heading East) on the dive I was referring to

The shore diving is excellent, have yet to dive the South side from the shore but that was usually a weather related issue.

I also find that normally I shore dive the North side. In winter you can find the weather more suitable to diving on the south side. If you ever check out Kings Point on the south they have cut an entry into the iron shore. If you are interested in getting to know some of the local shore divers then check out the facebook page for “Cayman Brac Shore Divers”.

Well at least give us an idea of the dive rates at the scuba shack....

Got an e-mail from Liesel and she said that a 2 tank dive will be $80 US and shore dive tanks will be $8 US. The boat is not up and running yet, it needs to get the engines installed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom