Good News/Bad News

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Update. It appears that the hard coral has almost totally recovered from summer bleaching as water temperatures seem to be in the very low 80s. However there is now strange white fuzzy algae like stuff growing on the Hardpan. Seems to b limited to shallower areas. Will try and post a photo when a dive buddy shows up next week. Be safe

Sounds like pretty long walk/swim-out trips to/from the main wall.

Next question, using Bonaire's west coast for a reference. A number of Bonaire's southern sites have wide accessible areas for entry/exit. A given point or two, perhaps marked with rocks or piles of rocks, may be better for getting in and out, but if need be, it's not big deal if one surfaces a couple hundred feet from the intended exit.

But up north, with places like Karpata, Oil Slick Leap, etc..., there's a narrower exit-worthy stretch. This is mainly a concern at dive's end, when you're looking for where to get out.

How did you find Brac shore diving in terms of ease of finding your exit path? Some of us aren't good navigators.

I have not done shore diving at the Brac.

On the south side, diving the lagoon is not practical. It would be get in and swim out to the exposed outer reef and then get back in. But the lagoon peters out about 2 miles to the east of the end of the island. There are a number of places where there is access. I think it would be snorkel out and then dive. The outer wall would probably be too far out but the inner wall to about 55’ to the sand would be good. Navigation would be south is deeper and north is shore. On the north side there are a number of places that are public access with nice sites.

For deep wall dives, you would be pretty much dependent on boat dives which means Scuba Shack or Brac Reef Resort. I would think you could probably get multiple tanks at the Shack if you made an arrangement like an extra deposit or something. But I bet they are limited in tanks so it would only work if you brought them back the same day without fail.

There are a few places where you could practically reach the outer wall on a share dive like the town dock and the east end.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom