Just got back from the Brac - lots of info

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Phil and Roxanne who were formerly at LCBR are now at Scubashack. Roxanne was LCBR's photo pro as well as a DM/Instructor. Both are very good.

Roxanne and Phil are the folks at Brac Scuba Shack that did our confined and open water dives earlier this year. They are very good instructors/dive masters -- I found them both very conscientious, thorough, and patient -- and the Brac Scuba Shack is a great operation. While in Cayman Brac, I heard from several people how much more they liked diving with Brac Scuba Shack vs. the 'other guys' on the island.

Late to the post, but I will agree Brac Scuba Shack is an exceptional dive store. I have a feeling they will be around for a while. The Reef Resort is also excellent, but found the Shack a bit more accomadating for smaller groups. I am not on Facebook, but there is a Brac Shore Diving page if anyone is interested. I guess you can meet up with other shore divers and bond with other divers. Always good to see Brac talked about. Cheers

Nevermind...I wrote a whole big post and then realized that what I thought had been in this thread were actually comments from another online forum and I was mixing the two in my head.

I spent time on the boat and in the water with both Phil and Roxy at LCBR, and both are great. Hopefully the Shack will be successful where InDepth wasn't on the Brac.

I am so glad to see everyone posting positive feedback :)

I go back in September - already counting the days (of course)

We're always contemplating how to squeeze 2 trips a year to the Brac. The damn airline$ aren't cooperating though.

---------- Post Merged at 05:13 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 05:09 PM ----------

It's nuts - they had no interest (that I saw) 4 years ago

Well, now grouper follow you around on every dive. I just went on 5 shore dives on the Brac and on 2 of the dives had grouper following me for 40 minutes! On our last dive, when we actually had a live lionfish in a dry bag (we used new nets from Cayman DOE) that my buddy was carrying above me while I continued to hunt under the shelves of coral heads. That's when I spotted the huge Moray that I would usually hang out to peek at. However, after John "Dry Rot" Fergeson was bit by a Moray on a dusk dive in Cayman the week before, I high tailed it out of there!

It's illegal to feed lionfish to other fish / eels and it's now causing many problems. See: Hunters warned not to feed lionfish to predators :: cayCompass.com

BTW, here is our YouTube video of the nets and dry bag catch and kill. This method leaves no blood in the water to attract other fish/eels... something to consider! Lionfish Capture and Kill using new nets from the Cayman Islands Department of Environment - YouTube

Back
Top Bottom