just discovering the problem with suunto transmitters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My suunto transmitter is about due for a battery change. It's long past being under warranty... so I'll spend 5 minutes and change the battery that was simple and inexpensive to order.

The biggest challenge is getting a replacement cap which is supposed to be replaced (much like you're supposed to send it in). Will I actually replace the cap? We will see how I'm feeling when I open it up.

I do wish it was easier to get new caps, but there are places one can order them from, either individually or as part of a battery change kit. Is it ideal? No. Is it that big of a deal? No.

We can agree to disagree. What happens if your DC or transmitter floods after YOU changed the batteries?
Yup - we’ll agree to disagree.

I’ve changed my Perdix AI battery and my PPS transmitter batteries plenty of times and I have ZERO concerns as it could not be any easier and, quite honestly, I don’t see what SW would do that would be any different than what I do:
  • Find a clear, clean surface to work on
  • Unscrew the battery cover (with a coin or the provided tool)
  • Remove the old battery and drop in the new one
  • Inspect the cap o-rings for any damage or dirt. Replace if needed with provided extras (or just replace proactively - I have not replaced yet).
  • Lightly lube o-rings with silicone grease.
  • Screw cap back on.
Quite honestly, it’s a good, simple design that i have no concerns with. I FAR prefer having the option to change batteries myself vs wasting time, money, packing materials, risk of loss/theft, etc., for something anyone can easily do themselves in less than 5 min (SW does not even suggest sending back for user-replaceable battery replacement though I’m sure they’d do it if requested).

For me, changing batteries myself is a super low risk endeavor and I’m not at all concerned about doing it and willing to assume any responsibility for doing so.

My suunto transmitter is about due for a battery change. It's long past being under warranty... so I'll spend 5 minutes and change the battery that was simple and inexpensive to order.

The biggest challenge is getting a replacement cap which is supposed to be replaced (much like you're supposed to send it in). Will I actually replace the cap? We will see how I'm feeling when I open it up.

I do wish it was easier to get new caps, but there are places one can order them from, either individually or as part of a battery change kit. Is it ideal? No. Is it that big of a deal? No.
I wonder why the cover needs to be replaced when replacing the battery (it does not appear very thin/flimsy in the video below) - as the old cover then just ends up in the trash, it seems rather wasteful?

The Shearwater Swift transmitter cover also needs to be removed to change the battery, but you just put it back on - so no unnecessary waste.

I wonder why the cover needs to be replaced when replacing the battery (it does not appear very thin/flimsy in the video below) - as the old cover then just ends up in the trash, it seems rather wasteful?

It's metal screws threaded into a plastic housing. It's likely an overabundance of caution (not that Suunto would ever be overly cautious) for thread damage. It's not something I would necessarily do with every battery replacement, but I don't know that I'd want to reuse it tons of times.

I don't disagree that the shearwater process isn't better, but the suunto one is not nearly the catastrophic issue people are making it out to be.

It's metal screws threaded into a plastic housing. It's likely an overabundance of caution (not that Suunto would ever be overly cautious) for thread damage. It's not something I would necessarily do with every battery replacement, but I don't know that I'd want to reuse it tons of times.

I don't disagree that the shearwater process isn't better, but the suunto one is not nearly the catastrophic issue people are making it out to be.
OK - that makes sense as the Swift shell screws into metal and is a dynamic, duel o-ring setup. Thanks!

My main issue with Sunnto's approach is the stated need to send the transmitter back to Sunnto to do a battery change or risk voiding the transmitter warranty, esp. if it has to be done every 100 dives. As you can see in the video, it's very easy to do so I don't understand the policy beyond a money grab.

The first time I had a PPS transmitter signal low battery on a dive, I stopped at a local store that night and got a new battery and swapped it (they are readily available in most places). I now carry backups and the second time I had a low battery warning, I dropped in a new one during the surface interval - easy peasy.

My main issue with Sunnto's approach is the stated need to send the transmitter back to Sunnto to do a battery change or risk voiding the transmitter warranty, esp. if it has to be done every 100 dives. As you can see in the video, it's very easy to do so I don't understand the policy beyond a money grab

It may be a money grab, it may be a very low risk tolerance and lack of trust in the customer. It's probably a bit of both.

Ultimately, it doesn't really matter much. The warranty period is two years, so most people aren't doing a battery change under warranty. If they do, it's definitely not more than once. From there, it really comes down to personal preference. Yah, the batteries probably are a challenge to find in some remote locations. I keep one in my save a dive kit, so that's never an issue personally.

I'm 100% onboard that there is a better approach to be had, but it's really not that big of a deal. It's definitely a good thing to be aware of, but I don't find it to be a deal breaker.

Absolutely correct. It's a choice I make and understand that if I muck it up, it's on me.
Plenty of divers are going that routes for many many yrs!
Warranty comes with a price and requirement! Why bother.
Oceanic includes detail instruction on battery changing in the user manual. Special key(some models and for some models even a coin will do) is also included in the original package.
What is the risk of flooding in underwater photographic equipment? It is there but it wont' stop photographers to remove the camera/video-recorder from the housing and recharging the battery everyday. A lot of photographic equipment worth quite substantially.

Don't quit now!
I'm SURE we can get a DIY battery replacement fight up to ten pages. :rofl3:

God, but I love ScubaBoard!

Yup - we’ll agree to disagree.

I’ve changed my Perdix AI battery and my PPS transmitter batteries plenty of times and I have ZERO concerns as it could not be any easier and, quite honestly, I don’t see what SW would do that would be any different than what I do:
  • Find a clear, clean surface to work on
  • Unscrew the battery cover (with a coin or the provided tool)
  • Remove the old battery and drop in the new one
  • Inspect the cap o-rings for any damage or dirt. Replace if needed with provided extras (or just replace proactively - I have not replaced yet).
  • Lightly lube o-rings with silicone grease.
  • Screw cap back on.
Quite honestly, it’s a good, simple design that i have no concerns with. I FAR prefer having the option to change batteries myself vs wasting time, money, packing materials, risk of loss/theft, etc., for something anyone can easily do themselves in less than 5 min (SW does not even suggest sending back for user-replaceable battery replacement though I’m sure they’d do it if requested).

For me, changing batteries myself is a super low risk endeavor and I’m not at all concerned about doing it and willing to assume any responsibility for doing so.

That's great, congrats, you're the best!

Could you also post a guide on how to change low pressure hoses? Many thanks in advance :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom