just discovering the problem with suunto transmitters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I did read the OP - 100 dives or 2 years means that the battery still needs to be replaced after 100 dives, even if that is less than 2 years. So… what I said stands: many divers would need to send it back in more than once a year.

That is just stupid design when batteries in transmitters from PPS and Shearwater can be easily changed be the user with batteries they can buy anywhere in less than 5 minutes!
I believe you have the numbers slightly inflated there bud. The majority of divers don't dive more than a 100 times per year. You and a few others among the thousands of divers out there might do so.

No, not whatever, everyone of us have different user case scenarios. We started talking about the OP issues and we ended up discussing about you changing your batteries in the comfort of your home while I have to ship mine.

For Tonga, having to send gear for service might be a nightmare, that's clear.

As I previously stated and someone interpreted wrongly. Both solutions have pros and cons.
For me, having a warranty in case something goes wrong is less problematic than flooding the DC or transmitter because of user error and having to repair / buy a new one. My Cressi Digi has a self replaceable battery but it costs 150€ not 1000€.

Again, if you prefer to service your gear on your own, great but making having to service your diving gear every 2 years sound like a HUGE issue is a weak argument when 99% of people send-in their REGS for regular maintenance.
As you pointed out it’s 2 years OR 100 dives - so for many that’s once a year that they’d have to send it back in just to get a new battery. No thanks.

But, regardless of what one is willing to deal with, I can’t believe that you are seriously trying to equate an incredibly simple task like changing a transmitter battery to getting a regulator serviced to try to support your position. Really?? Talk about grasping at straws…

I believe you have the numbers slightly inflated there bud. The majority of divers don't dive more than a 100 times per year. You and a few others among the thousands of divers out there might do so.
I said many divers - not the majority of divers.

We're pretty much saying the same thing here. I've always been very handy with things so to me, things such as changing batteries is easy. I do most repair and maintenance things around the house and save a lot of money that way, but I know people that have no clue how to do anything and have to "call a guy" to do it for them.
There's a 3d category you are omitting, the: 'I know how to change a battery BUT I don't want to do anything silly that could void my warranty'.

In the case of Suunto and many others, any certified service work is covered by warranty and by law.
If explicitly instructed NOT to mess with the battery, I personally would follow the instructions, especially with expensive gear. The only 'hassle' is an additional 20€ and having to wait 2-3 days to get the watch back every 2 years or so. Not everyone dives every day, all season.

I said many divers - not the majority of divers.
Correct. Those many have other options.

*Sorry had to edit in order to respond to the 2nd part.

Many Suunto users like myself couldn't care less if the battery is user replaceable and in my case I am used and love their interface above all and personally only the Descent is appealing to me as an alternative. I am a Scubapro fanboy but I hate their interfaces, the same as Shearwater's.

My position regarding service remains the same. Suunto doesn't want you to mess with their gear and I accept that as I prefer to have a warranty. What is illogical on that??? Why do you believe that having a personal opinion is trying to justify anything? I assure you I can afford any DC I want, Suunto is my choice.

There's a 3d category you are omitting, the: 'I know how to change a battery BUT I don't want to do anything silly that could void my warranty'.

In the case of Suunto and many others, any certified service work is covered by warranty and by law.
If explicitly instructed NOT to mess with the battery, I personally would follow the instructions, especially with expensive gear. The only 'hassle' is an additional 20€ and having to wait 2-3 days to get the watch back every 2 years or so. Not everyone dives every day, all season.
Well, maybe I left it out of the post you quoted, but I did mention in an earlier post that it makes sense to send it in for any kind of work if it's still under warranty. I definitely will do that myself. And it makes no difference what the product is, I'm not about to do anything that is going to void a warranty (although sometimes a warranty isn't worth the paper it is printed on.)

Again - that is the result of bad design/policy on Sunnto’s part as that issue does not exist on other transmitters.

It’s fine if you (and others) are Ok with the extra costs, time/scheduling of dealing with that process - but for something as simple as a transmitter battery change, Sunnto’s policy would strike it off my list to consider and anyone thinking about buying a Sunnto AI computer/transmitter should be aware of this limitation!

Well, maybe I left it out of the post you quoted, but I did mention in an earlier post that it makes sense to send it in for any kind of work if it's still under warranty. I definitely will do that myself. And it makes no difference what the product is, I'm not about to do anything that is going to void a warranty (although sometimes a warranty isn't worth the paper it is printed on.)
Indeed but Suunto as well as others, when servicing your watch or transmitter, are responsible if anything happens to it. By doing it yourself, you take the risk.

It is a matter of choice. I had a Stinger flooding on me many moons ago and was repaired under warranty because I serviced it on an authorized dealer. That's why I decided to go that path. Your experience and choice differs, fine with me.

Again - that is the result of bad design/policy on Sunnto’s part as that issue does not exist on other transmitters.

It’s fine if you (and others) are Ok with the extra costs, time/scheduling of dealing with that process - but for something as simple as a transmitter battery change, Sunnto’s policy would strike it off my list to consider and anyone thinking about buying a Sunnto AI computer/transmitter should be aware of this limitation!
We can agree to disagree. What happens if your DC or transmitter floods after YOU changed the batteries?

Indeed but Suunto as well as others, when servicing your watch or transmitter, are responsible if anything happens to it. By doing it yourself, you take the risk.

It is a matter of choice. I had a Stinger flooding on me many moons ago and was repaired under warranty because I serviced it on an authorized dealer. That's why I decided to go that path. Your experience and choice differs, fine with me.
Absolutely correct. It's a choice I make and understand that if I muck it up, it's on me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom