just discovering the problem with suunto transmitters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good point, thanks.

In my mind, although it was a general info post, I was replying to the OP who has transmitter that uses the 3V 1/2AA.

Do you know a brand other than Varta that makes the 3V 1/2AA with the nub on the negative end?

-Z

That's just why I wanted to add the note there, as most lay people wouldn't necessarily even realize that the suunto transmitter and suunto tank pod are different, much less that they took different batteries.

Your post actually answered some questions for me as I have a tank pod and keep extras of the ls 14250 around for changing the battery, but have looked at the varta to try to sort out why the battery change kits are even different between the two. The varta having the poles reversed and a lower voltage answers that question.

I don't know who else makes a 1/2aa configured like the varta. Fortunately, the varta seems to be readily available.

I will explain it again just in case... DCs are paired with wireless transmitters. What is good on being able to change the battery on your transmitter if you have to send in your DC?

Servicing your own gear is comfortable but programing and servicing your gear in an authorized dealers isn't so complicated. That's all.
Apples and oranges - the rechargeable batteries in the SW DC’s will last at least 5 years - likely longer. So… you just proactively plan to send it in sometime after 5 years (actually, I’d wait until I noticed that it was not holding charge effectively).

If the Sunnto transmitter only lasts for 100 dives as was stated by the OP, many would be having to send it in for battery replacement 1 or 2 times a year!!! That’s plain stupid design.

The PPS transmitters and the SW Swift are easily serviced by the owner in a minute or two - and if you can’t do that simple battery swap, you probably should no be diving ( or have a competent person do it for you).

I’m sorry, but the Sunnto transmitter having a non-rechargeable and non user-replaceable battery is bad design and inconvenient to divers that log a good amount of dives each year!

but the Sunnto transmitter having a non-rechargeable and non user-replaceable battery is bad design and inconvenient to divers that log a good amount of dives each year!
Many DC use readily obtained AA or button eg CR2450.
The non user-replaceable ones are those with built-in battery.
Battery changing for this Suunto transmitter? How difficult it is to remove 4 screws and the O-ring? I have changed only a few brands of DC and never suffered any failure.

Battery changing for this Suunto transmitter? How difficult it is to remove 4 screws and the O-ring? I have changed only a few brands of DC and never suffered any failure.
See, that's the thing. It isn't difficult. When mine started dying, it was on the first day of diving at Beqa Lagoon in Fiji. A had a spare battery, o-ring, and cap (just in case) with me. I switched the battery out in five minutes and went on my merry diving way. Since I was very careful removing and replacing the screws, the original cap was fine so I just reused it.

Now, as I have stated earlier, the battery I replaced was the original and had lasted over 4 years and close to 150 dives. But had it still been under warranty, I would have either sent it back in when I got home or taken it to the dealer I bought it from as I'm fairly certain it would have voided the warranty had I replaced it myself, (just for those wondering, I did have an SPG as well, so no worries on losing out on dives.)

And of course, how are some of these companies going to collect service and parts fees if people are just doing their own repair work?

I've also changed the batteries in my own DCs, both Suunto and Oceanic, with no problem.

So it isn't that users can't replace the batteries in some of these computers and transmitters, the manufacturers want you to be dependent on them to do it for you.

Apples and oranges - the rechargeable batteries in the SW DC’s will last at least 5 years - likely longer. So… you just proactively plan to send it in sometime after 5 years (actually, I’d wait until I noticed that it was not holding charge effectively).

If the Sunnto transmitter only lasts for 100 dives as was stated by the OP, many would be having to send it in for battery replacement 1 or 2 times a year!!! That’s plain stupid design.

The PPS transmitters and the SW Swift are easily serviced by the owner in a minute or two - and if you can’t do that simple battery swap, you probably should no be diving ( or have a competent person do it for you).

I’m sorry, but the Sunnto transmitter having a non-rechargeable and non user-replaceable battery is bad design and inconvenient to divers that log a good amount of dives each year!
Suunto states a number of dives per year OR every 2 years. Check the OP's original post, he was within those 2 years time limit.

OK, whatever. The process you described to send yours in for battery service, is still more work. Plus, you aren't taking into account the turnaround time. The process you described is indeed more convenient than it would be in other parts of the world. But, I don't see how that helps the OP, who is not in Munich.

This is a mischaracterization by omission of the original post. The OP did state that his transmitter's battery died earlier than expected, and that he would need to send it out for service because none of the Suunto dealers would sell him what he would need. He was displeased with this approach, and asked for alternative manufacturers that don't have this requirement in place.

He also added that this would effectively leave him without his transmitter for at least a month while in Tonga.
No, not whatever, everyone of us have different user case scenarios. We started talking about the OP issues and we ended up discussing about you changing your batteries in the comfort of your home while I have to ship mine.

For Tonga, having to send gear for service might be a nightmare, that's clear.

As I previously stated and someone interpreted wrongly. Both solutions have pros and cons.
For me, having a warranty in case something goes wrong is less problematic than flooding the DC or transmitter because of user error and having to repair / buy a new one. My Cressi Digi has a self replaceable battery but it costs 150€ not 1000€.

Again, if you prefer to service your gear on your own, great but making having to service your diving gear every 2 years sound like a HUGE issue is a weak argument when 99% of people send-in their REGS for regular maintenance.

See, that's the thing. It isn't difficult. When mine started dying, it was on the first day of diving at Beqa Lagoon in Fiji. A had a spare battery, o-ring, and cap (just in case) with me. I switched the battery out in five minutes and went on my merry diving way. Since I was very careful removing and replacing the screws, the original cap was fine so I just reused it.

Now, as I have stated earlier, the battery I replaced was the original and had lasted over 4 years and close to 150 dives. But had it still been under warranty, I would have either sent it back in when I got home or taken it to the dealer I bought it from as I'm fairly certain it would have voided the warranty had I replaced it myself, (just for those wondering, I did have an SPG as well, so no worries on losing out on dives.)

And of course, how are some of these companies going to collect service and parts fees if people are just doing their own repair work?

I've also changed the batteries in my own DCs, both Suunto and Oceanic, with no problem.

So it isn't that users can't replace the batteries in some of these computers and transmitters, the manufacturers want you to be dependent on them to do it for you.
Of course the manufacturers would love to see that happening. But is it practical?
Guarantee for life for some brands of regulator eg. Apeks but you have to follow the manufacturer instruction to have the reg service within the required period. I have been servicing my several Apeks regs(different models) for nearly 20 yrs without any issue. It is NOT rocket science.
Uwatec Aladin DC would require change of oil as well as simple soldering but it is not that difficult.
As long as ones know what he/she is doing then it is all piece of cake. Car is another good example.
Some of my buddies will send everything to the shop for repair/service. Their preferences and non of my business.
The only problem is someone trying to make a meal out of nothing!!

No, not whatever, everyone of us have different user case scenarios. We started talking about the OP issues and we ended up discussing about you changing your batteries in the comfort of your home while I have to ship mine.
OK. Fair enough. You still aren't factoring in the turnaround time. That is time that I would be without my transmitter or primary computer (my backup has a built in rechargeable). Since both my computer and transmitter give me warning, I can order anything I don't have on-hand without leaving my home, and without any downtime. Downtime is limited to the time it takes me to remove batteries, o-rings and install fresh ones.
As I previously stated and someone interpreted wrongly. Both solutions have pros and cons.
For me, having a warranty in case something goes wrong is less problematic than flooding the DC or transmitter because of user error and having to repair / buy a new one. My Cressi Digi has a self replaceable battery but it costs 150€ not 1000€.
We were talking originally about transmitters. That is what the OP originally complained about. You added computers to the mix. If we are talking about transmitters, my user replaceable transmitter can be purchased new for ~$400, or I can have Oceanic/Huish replace for $120 in the event I mess that up.

But, back to computers for a minute, lots of computers today have user replaceable batteries. If there was a high probability of messing up the battery change, I think we'd be hearing about this on a daily basis.
Again, if you prefer to service your gear on your own, great but making having to service your diving gear every 2 years sound like a HUGE issue is a weak argument when 99% of people send-in their REGS for regular maintenance.
Again, it's about being forced to contract out for a very simple maintenance item. PPS (Oceanic, Aqualung, Shearwater, and others), ScubaPro, and Mares all seem to provide instructions on changing the transmitter battery in their manuals. In many cases, they recommend bringing it to a dealer, but provide the instructions for the user. Suunto seems to be an outlier in their approach.

Of course the manufacturers would love to see that happening. But is it practical?
Guarantee for life for some brands of regulator eg. Apeks but you have to follow the manufacturer instruction to have the reg service within the required period. I have been servicing my several Apeks regs(different models) for nearly 20 yrs without any issue. It is NOT rocket science.
Uwatec Aladin DC would require change of oil as well as simple soldering but it is not that difficult.
As long as ones know what he/she is doing then it is all piece of cake. Car is another good example.
Some of my buddies will send everything to the shop for repair/service. Their preferences and non of my business.
The only problem is someone trying to make a meal out of nothing!!
We're pretty much saying the same thing here. I've always been very handy with things so to me, things such as changing batteries is easy. I do most repair and maintenance things around the house and save a lot of money that way, but I know people that have no clue how to do anything and have to "call a guy" to do it for them.

Suunto states a number of dives per year OR every 2 years. Check the OP's original post, he was within those 2 years time limit.
I did read the OP - 100 dives or 2 years means that the battery still needs to be replaced after 100 dives, even if that is less than 2 years. So… what I said stands: many divers would need to send it back in more than once a year.

That is just stupid design when batteries in transmitters from PPS and Shearwater can be easily changed by the user with batteries they can buy anywhere in less than 5 minutes!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom