Just curious about how well marketed "GUE" concept is in various parts of the world?

Your opinion regarding GUE & associated concepts etc?

• Just good ol' dive knowledge being packaged for $$'s sake

Votes: 17 48.6%
  • It's a genuine good thing for the dive community!

Votes: 18 51.4%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cincy, that's cool. I don't see what a big deal it is either... Feel free to dive with whatever you like. Frankly, who are we to tell you what to dive with? Furthermore, why would we care?

...But the flip side is that when we hear something that just doesn't jive... Like the concept of plastic being as durable as stainless steel, or the idea that you're very experienced with backplates but then don't know what they typically weigh... Well, don't get your panties in a bunch when someone throws the BS flag on you.

...But if you were to ask me (and you didn't), then I would tell you to dive however the heck you felt like it. We choose different methods, that's all.

I am wondering, though, about the picture... What picture are you laughing at? Sorry to seem dumb, but I can't find a picture... Are you talking about someone's avatar, or perhaps the mental image that someone painted?

CincyBengalsFan once bubbled...
Glad you finally get it.

But let's get one thing straight Turbo. I didn't want to "Bash" you or DIR or the BP/Wings. It's just a fact the jacket style BC's work better for me and that DIR is not up my alley. In fact the percentage of PADI, NAUI, etc. , divers vs. DIR divers has to be about 1000 to 1. And the same nearly goes for the Jacket style BC vs. the BP/Wings. So pardon me for having a humble opinion that I don't like BP/Wings. As I said to many times now to people shopping or looking for a BC...Try them out and buy what you like. The same goes for your training agency and instructor. Again, I'm sorry for not LOVING DIR or BP/WINGS... Is that OK?? Apparently NOT. I'm finished with this subject.

How come custer got two cool nicknames and I didnt get any?

You could have called me scooter or something...

Just curious, is that the way you address your students?

I assume it's all in good fun.

Glad you finally get it.

It's just a fact the jacket style BC's work better for me and that D(oing) I(t) R(ight) is not up my alley. In fact the percentage of PADI, NAUI, etc. , divers vs. D(oing) I(t) R(ight) divers has to be about 1000 to 1.

I understand the reasons for some folks' anger that someone was bright enough to latch onto the slogan "Doing It Right", but I just can't help chuckling every time someone makes a comment like the two sentences above.

Mebbe it's just me, and trust me, I don't do it very right meself. But I wish I did.
JohnF

That some cretin named "Mossie" with, count'em, 3 posts jumps on the board, posts a poll on a sure-fire hot-button topic, then over the next five pages of fairly predictable rhetoric is never heard from again?

No wonder "Mossie" only has 3 posts.

UP was, also predictably, right on with his observation that "Mossie" is someone's sockpuppet and a complete Troll.

I don't mind topical conversation for enlightenment or entertainment, nor answering genuine questions. But people who ask bull$hit questions for the sole purpose of stirring up $hit on this board piss me off.

In my humble opinion, it should piss you all off as well.

Gentlemen, we have all been had.

Suggest we allow this DIR/Anti thread to die a well deserved rest. And whoever's IP address matches "Mossie's", hope you get identified real soon.

Glad you finally get it.

But let's get one thing straight Turbo. I didn't want to "Bash" you or DIR or the BP/Wings. It's just a fact the jacket style BC's work better for me and that DIR is not up my alley. In fact the percentage of PADI, NAUI, etc. , divers vs. DIR divers has to be about 1000 to 1. And the same nearly goes for the Jacket style BC vs. the BP/Wings. So pardon me for having a humble opinion that I don't like BP/Wings.

But that's not what you said.

You could have said "I really don't know diddly about DIR or BP/W but I'm perfectly happy with what I got.

You'll never know how little I care what you dive, and, as I clearly stated, I'm neither DIR of GUE so you're swinging after the bell.

What you did was, cite a bunch of grossly incorrect stuff, said you knew it all, and then backed that up with 5 instructor certs and 20 years of diving.

You completely missed the only two valid concerns about backplates that I know of, as well.

As to the percentage of divers, your point is obvious.

GUE is a new, small orginization, of course they don't have the following. But with the kind of information you profer, it's no wonder so many misconceptions are rampant.

The more I learn about diving, the more I realize I don't know.

I don't have any problem admitting that, I don't know why it's so hard for others.

detroit diver once bubbled...
To feed the troll some more:

Unless I am totally off here, I believe that GUE is a non-profit corporation.

If the intention was to sell equipment, and market classes to make the big bucks, they could not operate as non-profit.

is halcyon non-profit also?

Custer once bubbled...

You have to assess the problem in more detail, and realize the difference between GUE, DIR and WKPP. You've sorta lumped them together.
GUE doesn't sell equipment, and the equipment it requires is not exclusively available from associated businesses.
You'll hear little or no criticizm of GUE from anyone who is actually involved with it, or has recieved their training.
All the noise comes from people who's merit badge and patch collection are threatened by GUE's superior requirements and standards.
Balance that out with the knowlege that GUE can't be compared to other mainstream agencies, because they aren't and never will be big, making tighter quality control acheivable, and that they only train divers who are already experienced to some degree.
It's not a big trick to teach a diver to dive.
Their classes are expensive and selective, and will fail you without regard, meaning that those who choose them for training are there for knowlege, and not the C-card.
Especially in OW, there are very few things GUE or DIR has to offer that aren't in a PADI OW manual. They freely admit this (or at least that many componenets of their "holistic" approach aren't original).
I'm not a GUE or DIR diver.
I dive wreck/tek with GUE-DIR divers.
Hmmm...Now you have peaked my interest and I will now research GUE more for future endeavors...Even if this post is just fishing...may have hooked atleast 2...I will check into it and weigh my differences between the agencies that are available to me. I have no loyalty to a specific agency what have they GIVEN me. I pay for what I get, it would be nice to not get a crap load of advertisement and marketing material in your literature and testing. It gave a bad taste in my mouth when the entire last chapter or so of the OW was marketing and advertisement. Then when I came across the questions that were market based I was even more put off. Thankfully I had good experiences my first few dives or I am afraid I might have continued the sport.

Debbraey once bubbled...

Hmmm...Now you have peaked my interest and I will now research GUE more for future endeavors...Even if this post is just fishing...may have hooked atleast 2...I will check into it and weigh my differences between the agencies that are available to me. I have no loyalty to a specific agency what have they GIVEN me. I pay for what I get, it would be nice to not get a crap load of advertisement and marketing material in your literature and testing. It gave a bad taste in my mouth when the entire last chapter or so of the OW was marketing and advertisement. Then when I came across the questions that were market based I was even more put off. Thankfully I had good experiences my first few dives or I am afraid I might have continued the sport.

if that bothered you don't read the dirf book. It is a rolling ad for halcyon.

newdiverAZ once bubbled...

is halcyon non-profit also?

Brian,

Ya gotta admit the whole GUE/DIR/Halcyon thing is... well...'almost' brilliant!

SA

Stephen Ash once bubbled...

Brian,

Ya gotta admit the whole GUE/DIR/Halcyon thing is... well...'almost' brilliant!

SA

absolutely! almost as brilliant as the padi thing lol. Bet I take a hit for this one lol <putting on my helmet>

Back
Top Bottom