Just curious about how well marketed "GUE" concept is in various parts of the world?

Your opinion regarding GUE & associated concepts etc?

• Just good ol' dive knowledge being packaged for $$'s sake

Votes: 17 48.6%
  • It's a genuine good thing for the dive community!

Votes: 18 51.4%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CincyBengalsFan once bubbled...

As far as the BP/Wings, it was nice to dive with doubles. Your nice and balanced undewater. However, it's just not pratical for the type of diving I'm doing now. The jacket styles are so much simpler to maintain when your on the run. And they dive just fine.

Why are they simpler to maintain?

What type of diving do you do now?

Do jackets style BC's have nuts and bolts to worry about and keep clean for starters.

detroit diver once bubbled...

You were doing great until:

"That's the part I really have issues with. While it is true that a Hogarthian rig provides a level of simplicity, streamlining, and balance that enables the diver to more efficiently use the skills they possess, it doesn't inherently make anyone a better diver. Nor does it necessarily mean that anyone who doesn't dive that style is in any way less skilled, or less safe as a result."

This is precisely why you cannot seperate one piece of the DIR system and still be DIR. Equipment is only one SMALL part of the equation. It comprises a number of things, including team awareness, signalling, bouyancy and trim control, and a lot more. The rig does not make you a better diver, or a diver at all. But you said it yourself-it is simple, streamlined, and balanced. People get hung-up on the equipment thing, because it is so different from a typical BC. It's hard to understand why less is more unless you really try it.

DD - I do try not to get hung up on the equipment issues ... and that really wasn't what I was trying to get at. The point of my post is that you don't really need to be "DIR" to have acquired the skills, buddy awareness, and diving finesse that is at the heart of the DIR regimen. Nor do you really need the gear. The rig will help you utilize your skills better, but will not in any way make you a better diver. But the "fundamentals" have been taught, practiced, and perfected by good divers all over the world for years before there ever was such a thing as "DIR". What DIR did was take something that previously came to most divers through years of trial, error, and practice ... and package it in a way that it could be presented as a course. It's not the only way to achieve these skills ... but it might be the most efficient way.

From the remainder of your post, I think we're really saying the same thing ... but perhaps looking at it from different angles.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

DIR once bubbled...
Do jackets style BC's have nuts and bolts to worry about and keep clean for starters.

I haven't unbolted my wing in two years.

I don't have any plastic QRs, clips or velcro to wear out or fail either.

Good for you champ.

I've never had any of those wear out on my BC. I have seen a stainless steel QR buckle come out of it's hinge once though. Now you can worry about that too.

I'm still LMAO over that pic.

When will the DIR-F skills DVD be out. This will expose GUE to a much wider audience.

I'd like to learn the frog kick, helicopter turns, backward finning before the class so I can concentrate on other aspects and get my moneys worth. The online video clips just don't show enough with a narrow bandwidth.

October?

DennisS once bubbled...
When will the DIR-F skills DVD be out. This will expose GUE to a much wider audience.

I'd like to learn the frog kick, helicopter turns, backward finning before the class so I can concentrate on other aspects and get my moneys worth. The online video clips just don't show enough with a narrow bandwidth.

October?

I don't think it is a DIR-F video. I think it is another one of GIs DIR videos.

DennisS once bubbled...

October?

Dennis,

Don't worry about getting your money's worth. You will get more than that.

The kicks you mentioned will be taught properly in the class. Looking at a video will only help slightly.

The backwards kick-on the other hand- will give everyone fits!!

CincyBengalsFan once bubbled...
Good for you champ.

I've never had any of those wear out on my BC. I have seen a stainless steel QR buckle come out of it's hinge once though. Now you can worry about that too.

"But GUE seems to work out great for a small population of divers."

"I have over 20 yrs. experience as a certified diver and I am certified by 5 agencies as an Instructor or higher."

"A BC weighs a few pounds when the plate alone weighs about 8 lbs. + easy."

"I've been there and done that with the BP & Wings."

"As for travelling with a BC vs. BP/Wings there is no comparing the two. I've been there and done that too."

"I'm very open minded to most things. However; when it comes to BP/Wings I have in fact been there and done that. I've said that to many times in this subject. Anyway, it's a dead issue now."

"I did a lot of cave diving in the early 90's with 94-95 being the climax on that"

"As far as the BP/Wings, it was nice to dive with doubles. However, it's just not pratical for the type of diving I'm doing now."

"The jacket styles are so much simpler to maintain when your on the run."

"I've never had any of those wear out on my BC. I have seen a stainless steel QR buckle come out of it's hinge once though. Now you can worry about that too."

I'm still LMAO over that pic.

Sure.

Thanks for straightening me out. So far, I've learned that DIR/GUE only works for a small population of divers. That your 5 agencies cover anything DIR/GUE has to offer, so there's no need for you to actually familiarize yourself with that program. That you don't know what a BP weighs, or what they can be made of, even though you've been there and done that. That you've been there and done that (lots, apparently), but not for ten years. That you're "very open minded, however...". That backplates are obviously a dead issue for you. That you've never dove singles in a BP, but it wouldn't work for the kind of diving you do. That BCs are easier to maintain. That plastic is more durable than stainless steel.

Thanks, coach!

Suddenly Mike Ferrara is becoming much more clear to me now.

"All the noise comes from people who's merit badge and patch collection are threatened by GUE's superior requirements and standards." - Custer

Glad you finally get it.

But let's get one thing straight Turbo. I didn't want to "Bash" you or DIR or the BP/Wings. It's just a fact the jacket style BC's work better for me and that DIR is not up my alley. In fact the percentage of PADI, NAUI, etc. , divers vs. DIR divers has to be about 1000 to 1. And the same nearly goes for the Jacket style BC vs. the BP/Wings. So pardon me for having a humble opinion that I don't like BP/Wings. As I said to many times now to people shopping or looking for a BC...Try them out and buy what you like. The same goes for your training agency and instructor. Again, I'm sorry for not LOVING DIR or BP/WINGS... Is that OK?? Apparently NOT. I'm finished with this subject.

Back
Top Bottom