Just booked 1st trip to Coz --- need advice on the "bag drag" from/to Cancun

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just looked on line for my dates next Apr and May for MayAir. $58 and return $81 for a total of $138. With each of us having 2 bags and carry ons wonder what they would hit us up for extra baggage fees. Think I will do the bag and drag for the first time,

Last edited:
Oh wait, that was you.

Yea, it was and I fail to see the point of your "Laughing out loud" little animation there.

The "bag drag" through Cancun to Coz isn't worth it to me. Sure, it saves a few bucks but the hassle overwhelms the savings.

Global Entry is a neat idea but it doesn't really get you through the process any faster. It just means you're the first person waiting for the baggage carousel.

I don't see how these two positions/opinions are "laughable" or mutually exclusive. Please fill me in.

-Charles

Yea, it was and I fail to see the point of your "Laughing out loud" little animation there.

The "bag drag" through Cancun to Coz isn't worth it to me. Sure, it saves a few bucks but the hassle overwhelms the savings.

Global Entry is a neat idea but it doesn't really get you through the process any faster. It just means you're the first person waiting for the baggage carousel.

I don't see how these two positions/opinions are "laughable" or mutually exclusive. Please fill me in.

-Charles
Sometimes laughter is a personal thing. :cool: You said "The Cancun airport is WAY busier and it took me much, much longer than I anticipated to get through" which I presumed referenced the Immigration line. I've never seen a bottleneck after that point, but maybe you did. Even then, the bus to PDC can take an hour or two depending on wait time in Cancun, and if you have to wait an hour for the next ferry that adds a couple, so it can all add up at times. Flying into Cozumel is certainly preferable.

I just looked on line for my dates next Apr and May for MayAir. $58 and return $81 for a total of $138. With each of us having 2 bags and carry ons wonder what they would hit us up for extra baggage fees. Think I will do the bag and drag for the first time,

During my lenghty on-line, live-chat with "Daniel" from MayAir last night, I came to the conclusion that buying a 2nd ticket is much cheaper than paying the overweight fees for baggage @ $3/pound. I have my dive gear and clothes in one bag (about 50# +/-) and my camera/housing/strobes in a Pelican case (about 50#) plus a carry-on. I was quoted $214 round trip for the 2-tix.

My biggest problem with MayAir is the schedule. I arrive in Cancun at 12:00 noon (direct from Toronto, via WestJet which is notorious for ON TIME arrivals and departures), and Daniel didn't think I should book onto the 1:00 flight to Cozumel. The next flight ot Coz is at 4pm, I think I can get a bus and a ferry for about $30 and arrive about the same time as the 4:00 flight. Can it possibly take THAT long to clear customs / immigration in Cancun? I would be surprised if the MayAir flight left on time anyway, but didn't want to argue with the poor guy on the live-chat. Thoughts??

During my lenghty on-line, live-chat with "Daniel" from MayAir last night, I came to the conclusion that buying a 2nd ticket is much cheaper than paying the overweight fees for baggage @ $3/pound. I have my dive gear and clothes in one bag (about 50# +/-) and my camera/housing/strobes in a Pelican case (about 50#) plus a carry-on. I was quoted $214 round trip for the 2-tix.

My biggest problem with MayAir is the schedule. I arrive in Cancun at 12:00 noon (direct from Toronto, via WestJet which is notorious for ON TIME arrivals and departures), and Daniel didn't think I should book onto the 1:00 flight to Cozumel. The next flight ot Coz is at 4pm, I think I can get a bus and a ferry for about $30 and arrive about the same time as the 4:00 flight. Can it possibly take THAT long to clear customs / immigration in Cancun? I would be surprised if the MayAir flight left on time anyway, but didn't want to argue with the poor guy on the live-chat. Thoughts??
Depends on actual bus & ferry schedules and how you hit them, but I think you're right. Plus once you get to Cozumel, you can hail a cab rather than squeezing into a sardine can van.

If you see the Maya agent when you exit the airport, you might ask him about a walk-up deal including bags in hand.

MayAir schedule and cost is also a problem for us. We arrive at 11 am so the 1pm flt is our option if everything goes well otherwise it's like VicScubaVentures says the 4 pm flt. Buying a 3rd ticket or paying for the overage on luggage is just to expensive. Just booked private transfer to PDC ferry for 50USD plus tip. Combined with the ferry looking around 78USD for the 2 of us to get to Cozumel about same time as MayAir or a little later if all goes well.

Return trip was a no brainer. Plane departs Cancun at 4:29 pm. Would have to take the MayAir 11 am flt to arrive at the Cancun airport at 11:20 or catch the noon ferry. Then private transfer to airport. We decided to go over the day before to PDC and experience the night life there even though we are giving up a day already paid for at our condo. Good news - save 40 USD on rental car and take the 1 pm bus saving about 30 USD plus tip for the private car. These savings pay for the hotel we are booking which is located 2 blocks from the ferry and 1 from the ADO bus station. Sounds like a win win.

Not everyone has reasonable options getting to Cozumel. The bus/ferry option is viable and hardly an onerous proposition. I have done it plenty of times.

The bus/ferry may be better than Mayair partially due to the three hour timing between flights.

Timing can be great. On one recent trip, I was through the inbound processing within 15 minutes or so. Walked out and had about ten minutes before the bus left Terminal 3. Then I got to the ferry with 5-10 minutes to spare. Past performance is no indication of future timing, but that was good.

You might also find out how soon BEFORE the Mayair flight you have to be at Terminal 1 in Cancun. I have heard one hour but confirm that.

If you ask how Mayair how early, they say an hour. Last time they didn't open the window for check in until about 30 minutes before the flight. If you watch, locals will show up about 15 minutes before the flight.

Yea. It means you're the FIRST person standing at the baggage carousel waiting. Everyone else that doesn't just catches up with you here and you're all waiting in line at the same time for the completely pointless "customs check."

Incorrect. Global Entry gives you a printed ticket that depending upon airport either allows you to go through a separate, much shorter, line at Customs (where one doesn't even stop to answer questions or whatever) or to go to the head of the customs line and straight through. The longest it's ever taken us to get our bags from the carousel through Customs has been 1 minute.

Many times we're out of the arrivals area before the person who got off the plane ahead of us has even gotten TO the baggage carousel.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom