Just booked 1st trip to Coz --- need advice on the "bag drag" from/to Cancun

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think you've got enough info to get you back to Cancun for your flight... I'd suggest that option as (IMO) 1.5 hours for customs/immigration in Houston is cutting it a bit close.

On a good day, no problem. On a busy day, you risk missing your connection. Personally, I never make an international connection for less than 2 hours. I've spend an hour in line more than once, and if I'm in a hurry, my bags always seem to come off the plane last! :idk:

I would leave on the 7 am ferry (check the schedules) you will probably make it to the airport by 10:00 am which should give you plenty of time. Worst case is you have to wait too long for the bus and end up paying for a taxi (I think they run around $40). I wouldnt panic though, we have done it several times with no issues. You could also check out flying from Cozumel to Cancun via Maya Air ($58/each way) - still cheaper than returning from Cozumel thru Houston.

The bag drag is pretty simple...the toughest part is getting thru the maze of timeshare sharks before you finally make it to the bus - you will be saying a lot of "no gracias"!

The correct charge for a taxi from PDC to CUN is 490 Pesos. You might be able to negotiate a better deal.

Timeshare sharks from the ferry to the bus station??? Really.?? :headscratch:

My brother sometimes flies into Cancun and often, on the way back, spends his last night in Playa del Carmen for a slightly easier morning. Lots of fairly inexpensive hotels there.

Yes, especially that time of year. Would be no problem finding something better than decent for around $50.00 USD.

90 minutes for a connection is a breeze if you have Global Entry.
Does that work for Canadians?

I guess he is planning on the Air Canada flights, avoiding US airports & TSA, changing planes once in Toronto both ways. The one return flight is at noon, not between 12 & 1 (subject to changed), but I think the 7am ferry would work fine with the Ado bus, taxi for backup.

Thanks everyone.
I've booked flights to/from Cancun.
Found a red-eye WestJet flight (Victoria-Calgary-Toronto-Cancun) arriving in CUN at noon on the Saturday and leaving CUN at 3:00pm direct back to Edmonton (Alberta, Canada) the following Saturday. An overnight in Edmonton then back to Victoria the next morning. No Houston, Atlanta, or TSA to bother with either direction. Better yet, extra luggage (hard case for camera gear) will only set me back $20 each way....and the ticket was only $855 (that's compared to $1250 for a Victoria - Coz ticket that would have needed an overnight in Houston, plus multiple pleasant dealings with the TSA).
From all the feedback here, it seems that if I get my butt headed towards the ferry at a reasonable hour on the departure morning, I should have no trouble at all getting back to CUN for the 3pm plane.
Appreciate all the information ... made the choice to fly in/out of Cancun much less stressful.

Cheers,
C.

The Westjet Toronto-Cozumel flights in January have caught my eye. $486 now. Wondering how low they will go? That may turn out to be a really good deal for anybody near Toronto.

I think you will like Cozumel, it's alot of fun.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom