just a rumor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kona had one operator of nearly a decade call it a day a couple weeks back. Another newer smaller one is for sale. I'm aware of a few others selling boats, but I think they've got other plans that don't include going out of business.

I'm thinking times are tighter for a lot of folk in this business. I've been curious how it's been on the other islands this year.

It's pretty slow on Maui right now. Funny, the county parks department has been after us for overcrowding the beaches all this time. I haven't seen a parking lot more than half full in a month now!! Yesterday Ulua Beach only had 25% of the parking stalls occupied at noon and it was a beautiful day for the beach. The upper parking lot was completely empty!

If your business is hurting (wherever you are), I've got something that is proven to help it out immediately. Send me a PM and I can let you know how it works.

I dove with customers at Ulua on Tuesday, and even with flat to 1 foot, mild variables, perfect surface conditions, the vis was not good, even all the way out at the teeth cleaning / lionfish. We drove all the way back to Mala for a spectacular 2nd dive!

Tuesday 10ish there were only a couple Ulua parking spots open after we parked; the Tuesday vis might have something to do with the Wednesday parking situation.

Restaurants are dropping like flies; the buzz on the F&B grapevine is "who do you think is next?"

Compadres on Maui closed a few days ago with hardly anyone noticing. They are also closing on Oahu and that made headlines today.

One of my dive buddies favorite sayings is

"If you want to make a small fortune, start with a large fortune and open a dive shop.."

Seems to be true of a lot of business ventures in these times...

The price of airfare is so high many tourists have changed their plans and deceided to vacation closer to home. I changed my plans about flying this summer and chose a location closer to home to dive. The fact that Hawaii has lost one of its "home-grown" airlines early this year didn't help competition for airfares. There are only two ways to get to Hawaii ..... by air or by boat .... neither are cheap right now. I have notice many hotels have offered 50% off rooms to offset the high price of flying but it still costs a bundle to get there from the mainland.

Last edited:
The price of airfare is so high many tourists have changed their plans and deceided to vacation closer to home.

Guilty as charged.

This summer we decided on driving to Catalina Island. (OK. Driving to Long Beach to take the ferry.)

Original plan was to fly to the Big Island.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom