Jupiter Diving in 2009 - Ongoing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm definitely retiring south. Maybe pickup a part time job with a dive shop? Get free diving? We're having a very cold, wet winter here in the NE...

Yep, I've been following that thread. And I just might pop over one of those days - probably Saturday the 21st. Living in Central Florida, I have the luxury of not determining my weekend dives until the Thursday or Friday before. :scubadive:

...although actually it more depends on whether or not I get the house clean before visitors the following weekend. :lookaround:

>*< Fritz

I hope you can come one (or both) of those days, Fritz! I haven't seen you in a long time!

FYI, looks like I will be diving JDC tomorrow morning (Sat., Mar. 14), so if any SB'ers are there say Hi!

I'll be trying out my new "long-ish" reg hose rigging. I had the factory Atomic rubber short hose and swivel replaced with a 4-foot flex hose and a fixed right-angle adaptor out of my B2 so I can route the hose underarm and have plenty of length for sharing it with a buddy if necessary, without going the whole over-the-head route, and without having it drag the ground standing up.

Anyway, weather and seas look near-perfect Saturday, and last weekend I saw at least a dozen lemon sharks off Jupiter, so I can't wait to get back in the water!

>*< Fritz

Here's a couple of photos from this friday three tank trip :D.
Lemon sharks, reef sharks, goliath groupers, a bull shark took center stage...

goliath1.JPG

goliath21.JPG

lemon313091.JPG

and one of me :)

me30.JPG

thanks to Rick Dean for the photos!!!

Our on-going thread got burried.

I dove a 3 tank dive with Jupiter Dive Center on Monday with the gang from Patrick AFB. It was a pure hunting/bugging trip. My only complaint... we didn't have enough cooler space... After lunch, one diver shot a 55+lb cobia that consumed the majority of the big cooler, so we had to pull the left over lunches out of the lunch cooler to fill it with the overflowing bugs.

Everyone had a great day and brought something home. I managed to bring home 4 good sized bugs...

After a bumby weekend, the seas were 2-3 with some chop on the way out, but it laid down as the day went on. Seas were 1-2 on our way in.

The viz was 40-50 on the bottom, but there was a good haze until we hit about 50'. Bottom temp was 59 degrees at Loran towers. At Lob 43, it was 71. Big difference...

It's too bad bug season is over with. It was a good year for bugs...

Looks like great diving. Hmm thinking Tuesday the 7th---

Looks like great diving. Hmm thinking Tuesday the 7th---

I hope Tuesday the 7th was better than Sunday the 5th.

I went out with JDC as usual. I had a class of 4 students from Patrick AFB. Fortunately for me, JupiterMermaid (DM Extraordinaire) joined us.

The seas were relatively flat. At most it was 2-3. Water temp was mostly around 71, but we did hit some 67 on the first dive and 69 on the second. The viz... was... well... I don't want to get sensored on SB. It was that bad....

We dove the Bluffs and Loggerhead. Interesting sites when you're brail diving.

The good thing... when the students see clear water, they'll be in shock... they did great in the limited viz... but, they haven't seen the good stuff.. yet.

One thing... I'm getting rid of my H2YO rattle. It has the single ball in it, and it's not loud enough underwater. I don't think divers realize it's a rattle. I'm going back to my old rattle.

I love it "Braile Diving" good one

Dove today in Jupiter; Bluffs and Scarface - a few turtles, a nurse shark; very boring for Jupiter

Viz was maybe +/- 35 feet; temp was 73; seas 2 - 4 - very full boat; newbi's but they did fine

Certainly not Jupiter at its finest, however the current was just right (meaning I did very little swimming : )

Big cold water upwelling today. Dove Shark Canyon, Main ledge and MG111. 64 degrees down south and 68 degrees on the barge. Viz as 40 feet and currents running 1-1/2 knots. You could feel the cold upwelling push you off the reef towards the shore.

It can change in a day and be great tomorrow. Not even hook and liners caught anything today. The Goliaths were out and about, but no grouper and the mango's were stuck tight under the ledges. Topside was 2-5's in the morning, but really flattened out in the afternoon to less than 2's. Pulled up alongside Hypnautical and Blue Tang to swap stories and say hello. Sunday looks even better!

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom