Jupiter Dive Thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think there are several variables that go in to that. Time of year is def one of them. I started seeing them on the reef in November, so they've definitely been around for a bit. Another thing to consider is when they had their last free meal from the shark feed boats. Whether we like it not, many of these animals have been conditioned to associate divers with a free meal. A full shark isn't going to be as interested in seeing (or hearing) you. Also, unless you're part of a shark feed, a shark that's being fed somewhere else is a shark that's not where you are. I think the shark feeding boats play a role in how much interaction the non-feeding boats experience.

On the flip side, I'd be curious to observe what would happen if the feeding boats stopped feeding. Would the Lemon's still hang around in the same number and give the non-feeding boats the same experience? For the record I'm against feeding sharks (and any other wild animal for that matter). While I think shark feeds do have some positive impact on divers perception of sharks, I don't think it's an ethical practice overall. An unprovoked experience in the wild is much more satisfying, IMO.

I am not a fan either. What I also think is amusing is how shark feeding dives are viewed as an appropriate (and therefore a safe) activity by training agencies. At least that is my impression; since I have never read a condemnation by the training agencies of the feedings or baitings (which are conducted explicitly for the amusement of recreational divers).

That position appears to be congruent with the attitudes of most people on this forum. However, it seems (to me) to be contradictory to the generally conservative attitudes about diver safety and more specifically about dive activities that amount to nothing more than "trust me dives".

Somebody trusts a DM and follows them into a wreck, gets on the boat with 250 psi in their tank or accrues 4 minutes of unplanned decompression while following a guide and they can be chastised. But, go out with some feeding operation and you just have to "trust" them that they know what they are doing and "trust" that the sharks will not bite anyone. It is really an uncontrollable situation that people willingly subject themselves to. If I continue the rant past the DOUBLE "trust me" aspects of the situation, I can smoothly transition into the "normalization of deviance" theme. I can't readily think of an activity that more clearly (and consistently) falls into that category in diving.

" Accidents" are kept hush, hush, even when the experts get maimed it seems. In general, divers should aim to dive within conditions and circumstances that are controllable - or at least, try to avoid activities that are uncontrollable, if feasible. Sharks feeds are not controlled.

Anyone who gets bitten will have the incident classified as a "provoked" attack by the experts, yet I bet a good proportion of the tourists view it similar to a Disney Ride and don't consider their actions (being present during a feeding) to be something that is provoking an attack.

I think there is just cause for the activity to have been outlawed in the State of Florida.

I agree that there are probably other more ethical means to seek recreation under the water.

I enjoyed the shark feeding dives with Emerald Charters, but obviously it's a controversial topic, and thankfully people who don't choose to go with those trips can still see sharks without going that way.

Aside from the lemon shark gathering in the Jupiter area in winter, one can hit North Carolina (e.g.: Morehead City or Wilmington) for the offshore deep wrecking diving with sand tiger sharks. Some destinations, such as the Galapagos, Cocos Island, the Socorros and Malpelo offer non-fed shark diving experiences (of those I've only done the Galapagos; plenty of scalloped hammerheads, some Galapagos sharks and white-tip reef sharks; somebody saw silkies).

Something for everyone.

The topic of shark feeding tends to be very polarizing. Shark feeding is prohibited in Florida state waters out to 3 nautical miles, however, it is unregulated in federal waters. I'm with @JimBlay vote with your dollars and patronage.

If you side against shark feeding, don't fool yourself. Several of the areas that you enjoy diving and seeing sharks under "natural" circumstances are the very same areas where the sharks are routinely fed. Deep Ledge, Lemon Drop, and the Esso Bonaire at the end of the Wreck Trek, are three such dives. I would imagine many of you, like me, have followed a feeding charter through these areas.

I choose not to utilize the feeding charters, but I understand how it works. How many of you have been the beneficiary of shark action when you have been in the vicinity of hunters? I certainly have, reasonably similar circumstances.

I'm also with my friend, @drrich2 If you can make it to Galapagos, Cocos, or the Revillagigedos, you will not be disappointed. I tried to get to Malpelo last June, it was rescheduled for this July, hope it goes :)

How many of you have been the beneficiary of shark action when you have been in the vicinity of hunters? I certainly have, reasonably similar circumstances.

I noticed several large Lionfish at Lemon drop on Saturday. No ones got the cojones to shoot em I guess.....

I noticed several large Lionfish at Lemon drop on Saturday. No ones got the cojones to shoot em I guess.....

I've popped lionfish on shark dives - back when things were a bit looser I used to go on a 5-10 minute strafing run at the Deep Ledge and catch up with the group after. I've shot them on Lemon Drop as well and outside of feeding trips did a lionfish tournament almost six years ago where we hit both Deep Ledge and Lemon Drop and bagged a decent number. I'll still try to carry a pole spear, but I rarely see them at the feed spots. Whether I try to keep them is dependent on whether I feel like taking the time to clean them at the dock, get some ice, and drive back to Miami with them.

I think Calypso might be the only feeding op regularly going to Lemon Drop these days, as they're out of Palm Beach Inlet and it's a more accessible site for them. The snorkel boats out of Jupiter seem to focus on the Deep Ledge and the two scuba boats typically do one dive at the ledge and two at the wrecks (these days they actually seem to go north of the Esso Bonaire; the water gets shallower so it's more conducive to sitting on the bottom).

Frankly, if it was just the lemons I wouldn't bother with going on feeding trips; they're there and at this time of year there's also an influx of transient ones along with the semi-permanent residents. Last time I was out we had two great hammerheads turn up and hang around long enough for me to get some proof-of-life shots (I shoot with a wide-angle wet lens, which is great for closeups but sucks at getting things 30-40 ft away); one actually took some bait but the feeder had to get a ways out from the group for that to happen. Right now I'm trying to spend my time inshore looking for good conditions to spot blacktips, but come mid-late March I expect tiger season and I'll probably be back out a fair bit.

I've popped lionfish on shark dives - back when things were a bit looser I used to go on a 5-10 minute strafing run at the Deep Ledge and catch up with the group after. I've shot them on Lemon Drop as well and outside of feeding trips did a lionfish tournament almost six years ago where we hit both Deep Ledge and Lemon Drop and bagged a decent number. I'll still try to carry a pole spear, but I rarely see them at the feed spots. Whether I try to keep them is dependent on whether I feel like taking the time to clean them at the dock, get some ice, and drive back to Miami with them.

I think Calypso might be the only feeding op regularly going to Lemon Drop these days, as they're out of Palm Beach Inlet and it's a more accessible site for them. The snorkel boats out of Jupiter seem to focus on the Deep Ledge and the two scuba boats typically do one dive at the ledge and two at the wrecks (these days they actually seem to go north of the Esso Bonaire; the water gets shallower so it's more conducive to sitting on the bottom).

Frankly, if it was just the lemons I wouldn't bother with going on feeding trips; they're there and at this time of year there's also an influx of transient ones along with the semi-permanent residents. Last time I was out we had two great hammerheads turn up and hang around long enough for me to get some proof-of-life shots (I shoot with a wide-angle wet lens, which is great for closeups but sucks at getting things 30-40 ft away); one actually took some bait but the feeder had to get a ways out from the group for that to happen. Right now I'm trying to spend my time inshore looking for good conditions to spot blacktips, but come mid-late March I expect tiger season and I'll probably be back out a fair bit.
Where do you dive with Blacktips?

Where do you dive with Blacktips?

I've been trying to spot them off the beach; at this time of year there are often large numbers of them between Jupiter and Singer Island. Aiming to snorkel rather than dive as it's shallow water; the problem is lining up a weekend with calm, clear conditions.

I've been trying to spot them off the beach; at this time of year there are often large numbers of them between Jupiter and Singer Island. Aiming to snorkel rather than dive as it's shallow water; the problem is lining up a weekend with calm, clear conditions.

That is the way to do it. Perhaps also with a SUP or Kayak.

Blacktips typically stay primarily within a few hundred yards of shore the majority of the time in water that is quite shallow. As our waters continue to warm they are finding that they aren’t migrating as far south in as large of numbers as they use to. They prefer a very narrow range of water temps. So they stop further up the coast instead of coming all the way down to Palm Beach County. Recent numbers in the surveys FAU takes have been down something like 70% from when they started the surveys a decade or so ago.

That is the way to do it. Perhaps also with a SUP or Kayak.

Blacktips typically stay primarily within a few hundred yards of shore the majority of the time in water that is quite shallow. As our waters continue to warm they are finding that they aren’t migrating as far south in as large of numbers as they use to. They prefer a very narrow range of water temps. So they stop further up the coast instead of coming all the way down to Palm Beach County. Recent numbers in the surveys FAU takes have been down something like 70% from when they started the surveys a decade or so ago.

A couple weeks ago they were on fire off John D. MacArthur State Park - saw multiple spinning breaches and up to six sharks coming in on a wave. Water was like looking through glass, not much wave action.

Of course, that was the day I considered the hike from the parking lot to the beach and decided against lugging our gear out there. Murphy's Law being in effect, the next day it was blowing 8-9 knots out of the east; after bashing through the surf I nearly faceplanted into a school of snook in 2-ft viz and decided I didn't want to do that with something that might bite.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom