Jupiter dive crew convicted of stealing fishing gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I love that video. That was a fun dive with DumpsterDiver.

So many Sandbars right now. Every dive within a couple minutes you have one or two hit you on a spot. This was Sunday where this Sandbar came in on me 3 times. I don't think I would have tolerated a 4th time.

Here's what to expect at the Middle Grounds today during the summer. Hell, they don't even care about the stringer. Y'all ain't diving it without a cattle group of divers.

Warmer water + abundance of red snapper + fewer commercial shark fishermen = lots of sharks.
Those bulls definitely came in spicy at the beginning, although once surprise failed they seemed to keep a pretty fair distance even though the stringer was floating away from you. If you'd noticed that initial rush a couple seconds later then yeah, that might have been ugly. I'd definitely want a second diver watching my back ... and the boat to be a lot closer.

As for the sandbars ... I've got a pretty funny shot from a Jupiter dive of one of the shark handlers holding a small one away from the bait crate by the nose, one-handed. They definitely get the "zoomies" and are persistent, but it typically doesn't take much to fend them off. They're like dogs that wait for a chance to snag your sandwich off the table, but won't try to go through you for it.

@CuzzA

Why so many sharks bothering hunters at middle grounds? Perhaps because there are so many hunters there, easy pickings?

This gets to the point of it. Commercial shark fishing has been going on along the US east coast and off Florida for decades - middle of last century or so demand for shark liver oil was pretty high, until that was replaced by synthetic products - but the real step change came around the 1970s/1980s. The 70s were when you had foreign-flagged longliners coming into US waters; the response was for the US to close its territorial waters to foreign fishing and encourage the growth of domestic fishing fleets. Unfortunately at this point a number of the high-value longline fisheries, like tuna and swordfish, were hammered pretty badly. In the early 1980s NMFS termed sharks an "underutilized resource" and it was basically no-limit fishing for them. This was also about when the shark-fin soup market got big. At this point we were still pretty clueless about shark ecology; as late as 1990 scientists were thinking even apex species like great whites had a lifespan of approximately 20 years (we now know that they're just hitting maturity at that age; even relatively low-tier species like blacktips take around 7 years to hit maturity).

1990 was the peak of shark landings in Florida, with about seven million pounds brought in. After that things started nosediving and the realization sunk in that wasn't sustainable. 1993 was when NMFS actually instituted a quota system; the industry objected to the science recommendation and as a compromise NMFS set the limit at 50% of what previous landings were. 1997 was when that was reeled down to what the biologists were calling sustainable, which is now about 8% of peak, as well as limitations or prohibitions on more vulnerable species like duskys, sandbars, hammerheads, and white sharks. The split of things is a bit complex; there are several different management groups (large coastal sharks, small coastal sharks, pelagics, etc.) and some are broken into separate quotas for different regions (Atlantic, Eastern Gulf, Western Gulf). How sustainable it is on the economic side is a good question; last time I looked the total gross revenue (sales to dealers) for shark meat and shark fins in Florida was reported at something around $750,000 - $800,000 per year, which explains why there's only maybe 2-3 boats in the state that account for the bulk of that (the individual who had his gear stolen in this case as I recall claimed about $250,000 a year in shark landings, so he's likely one of them). About half that value is shark fin sales and the meat makes up the rest; last I looked for 2021 Atlantic large coastal shark meat prices were averaging $1.21/lb, which despite being high by historical standards is not exactly a windfall. The last few years Atlantic large coastal shark landings haven't met quota, probably because boats decided the juice wasn't worth the squeeze.

The current management strategy seems to be working to rebulid things; the catch is that we've also got a lot more people out fishing now (both spearfishing and angling) and most of them haven't been on the water long enough to remember that pre-1980s environment. Patrick Price for instance before he died last year was giving interviews left and right saying he'd been "fishing for 25 years" and had "never seen sharks this bad;" it distresses me as much as anyone else to do the math and realize that put him starting out in 1996 when we had thoroughly beaten east coast shark populations to a pulp. We basically now have a generation or two of resource users who got used to shooting or hooking a fish and landing it without much competition; to them the current state of affairs looks like an "explosion" of sharks. So - just like with goliath grouper in Florida, seals in New England, and wolves out west - there's a backlash and a push to "restore" a "balance" that was in reality severely out of whack. Saner move would probably be to adjust fishing gear and techniques.

... and the boat to be a lot closer.
That boat captain was not staying on top of the diver's bubbles. It takes bearing & distance tracking every 5 minutes, a sonar to see the bubbles underwater all the way to the bottom, and binoculars constantly scanning 360 to pickup that stringer. He missed all 3.

Despite personal philosophy, assuming the fishing activity was legal, Mr. Moore and Mr. Mansell had no right to interfere with the activity. The potential punishment seems quite harsh.
Harsh? Not when you realize the amount of money the commercial and recreational fishing industry pumps in to Florida's economy (billions), not to mention destroying the means to someone's livelyhood. Luckily the FWC takes this type of crime very seriously.

Harsh? Luckily the FWC takes this type of crime very seriously.

You can shoot someone in a movie theater or when they cut you off on the interstate in FL, but do a wildlife crime and you will likely get 5 yrs. Dont ever mess with the ATF, FWC, or NOAA fisheries.

I had a friend that got popped with a felony for carrying sea turtle hatchlings to open water to try and keep gulls from eating them when a nest hatched during the day....

Luckily the FWC takes this type of crime very seriously.

And they need to, as most of those crimes are never seen or solved, so stiff punishment when caught is the only deterrent to poachers.

I pay much more attention to fish and game laws than any others to insure I never afoul of any when fishing or hunting...and this is in California.

Harsh? Not when you realize the amount of money the commercial and recreational fishing industry pumps in to Florida's economy (billions), not to mention destroying the means to someone's livelyhood. Luckily the FWC takes this type of crime very seriously.
Well not THAT seriously. I mean telling the suspects to preserve the incriminating evidence and then leaving it in their sole custody is probably not "in the manual of crime scene preservation".

It sounds like clowns all the way around.

You can shoot someone in a movie theater or when they cut you off on the interstate in FL, but do a wildlife crime and you will likely get 5 yrs. Dont ever mess with the ATF, FWC, or NOAA fisheries.

I had a friend that got popped with a felony for carrying sea turtle hatchlings to open water to try and keep gulls from eating them when a nest hatched during the day....
Well, talking with an FSU shark researcher about this, he commented that someone who kills and butchers a smalltooth sawfish gets a $2000 fine, while messing with commercial fishing gear is a quarter mil. It's more like "don't interfere with commerce." He's had his research longlines stolen before by commercial and rec fishermen; on the two instances he caught someone with the gear he gave them a lecture rather than calling law enforcement.

And they need to, as most of those crimes are never seen or solved, so stiff punishment when caught is the only deterrent to poachers.

I pay much more attention to fish and game laws than any others to insure I never afoul of any when fishing or hunting...and this is in California.
The problem (at least in Florida) is that the bar for successful prosecution is pretty high. We had an incident earlier this year up in the Jacksonville area where some high school kids decided it would be a fun prank to take a gutted shark carcass (according to them, they got it off some random guy fishing the jetty) and string it up on the school property. While photos were taken before and after the shark was cut down, by the time FWC was informed the carcass had already been tossed in a dump truck and was likely on its way to a landfill in Georgia. FWC came back and said two of their "marine shark experts" had identified the carcass as a "mature bull shark" and thus a legal catch ... but pretty much every shark person I talked to (both researchers and divers) ID'd it as a sandbar due to the fin size and head shape, which would have been illegal for a recreational fisherman to retain. Now, either FWC's "marine shark experts" aren't the best of the bunch ... or they weighed the photos against the likelihood the well-heeled parents of those kids could afford lawyers that would push the "reasonable doubt" angle in front of a jury and decided it was easier to lie and drop the case. The feds I know from non-wildlife crimes (I did one jury stint on an FBI case) are tenacious, but generally speaking the >90% conviction rate that gets tossed around for federal trials is because they take someone to court when they have them nailed to the wall with evidence.

So......in Florida it's legal to longline for Lemon Sharks?

In reading this, I guess that I'm kind-of in a bit of a personal conflict here as to who is more in the wrong.... I hate thieves with a passion......but am also glad that they removed the shark-fishing long-line. I wonder what other "by-catch" animals were killed or tortured by this type of indiscriminate fishing method.
The report said that the divers gave false information when they called it in, claiming that they had released lemon sharks.

I wasn't there, so I have no first hand information about what really happened.

In Florida, if you have a federal HMS permit, you can keep certain sharks, but not others. Many have size limits. Some don't. There are lots of rules & regs.

From my personal observations, there is no general shortage of sharks in this area. That is especially true for spinners & bull sharks, but also applies to hammer head, bonnet head, fine tooth, sand bar, and reef sharks. Some other species are less common in the area at this time.

Warmer water + abundance of red snapper + fewer commercial shark fishermen = lots of sharks.
It now dawns on me that perhaps I should carry some 10/0 hooks on heavy wire that is attached to my float line, so that if the guys in the grey suits come around, I can put a little toy surprise inside my catch bag for them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom