June 14 Lake Travis Boat Ride

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I told the boss that I intended to play hooky and go diving and he hasn't told me no so I'm taking that as a yes.

So I was thinking about arriving @ Wentz about 9-9:30. I had a shallow search and recovery dive planned on the shallower side of point(toward oasis wall) to try and locate a lost weight pouch. I can bring an extra tank if y'all want to make 2 dives. Let me know how your schedule is going to be running and I can adjust.

I told the boss that I intended to play hooky and go diving and he hasn't told me no so I'm taking that as a yes.

So I was thinking about arriving @ Wentz about 9-9:30. I had a shallow search and recovery dive planned on the shallower side of point(toward oasis wall) to try and locate a lost weight pouch. I can bring an extra tank if y'all want to make 2 dives. Let me know how your schedule is going to be running and I can adjust.

Uumm.....are y'all hiring? :D:coffee:

Alright, I am going to be on the County Park (Bob Wentz Park) side of windy point, not over at Barstows scuba park(where the camping is). I intend to set up next to the sand vollyball pit at the entry area. I will be there by 10:30 at latest, going to stop and grab an extra tank at dive world on way out. I'll have two tanks, so if I find weight pouch on first tank, I'll have a steel 72 to burn where I want. I will also be playing with camera a lot, a lot of the search area is currently about 20', so a tank should last a long time.

Last edited:
but viz absolutely sucked on the SE side of windy point :(

met Jared at a little after 10:30 (forgot that DW didn't open until 10 on weekdays)

we geared up while Rocket ran down and checked out water. Surface looked clear and conditions were calm with an occasional drop or two from the sky. When time to get in water came my dog sitter still was a no show, so put rocket in his crate under a tree by the shore and went diving.

vis from about 6' down to our max depth of 21 ft was about 6 inches to about 2 ft, occasionally running into a clear pocket of about 3-4 ft vis. while we finally located the ledge that our search object should have been located along, the viz was so horrendous we decided to wait for better viz or changed lake levels (if it goes down much more I can wade for it :wink:

While it was great to get in the water again with Jared,I hope the diving on Barstows side of WP was a little nicer. I hung out with pup a while longer and then headed up to meet some other folks out near jonestown. Saw Jareds group headed out to WP while I was on way out, so he should have some better diving to report.

Here is the profile...

Attachments

• mattssearch.pdf
    40.9 KB · Views: 55
Going out on the boat today. Vis should be excellent, 100+'. We are going to likely do a wall and then a shallower dive. Don't know what sites we will dive, but I expect to see lots of fish and pretty landscape. Water level is hold steady.

Did I forget to mention, I am diving in Grand Cayman this week :)

Hope you all have a great weekend......

Going out on the boat today. Vis should be excellent, 100+'. We are going to likely do a wall and then a shallower dive. Don't know what sites we will dive, but I expect to see lots of fish and pretty landscape. Water level is hold steady.

Did I forget to mention, I am diving in Grand Cayman this week :)

Hope you all have a great weekend......

Well, it's not Travis, but I guess you will be able to adjust :wink: :D

Have fun and dive safe! See ya when you get back.

Caymen... Ha! Anyone can dive in 100+ viz, warm water, yada, yada, yada... Fortunately I got to dive in 10 ft viz, 80 at surface 68 at 20' water yesterday... Now that takes a real man...

but I'm not envious, I'm not envious, I'm not envious...

Have a great trip and get back soon so we can do another dive...

Charlie and Donna

Do I sense a hint of sarcasm..........but I must agree it is easy diving when you can see so far. What skills does it really take when you can see the boat from the bottom. I am quickly coming to appreciate the skill it takes to produce good photos, instead of video.

The second dive started to get chilly, it was only 83 degrees at depth.

but viz absolutely sucked on the SE side of windy point :(

met Jared at a little after 10:30 (forgot that DW didn't open until 10 on weekdays)

we geared up while Rocket ran down and checked out water. Surface looked clear and conditions were calm with an occasional drop or two from the sky. When time to get in water came my dog sitter still was a no show, so put rocket in his crate under a tree by the shore and went diving.

vis from about 6' down to our max depth of 21 ft was about 6 inches to about 2 ft, occasionally running into a clear pocket of about 3-4 ft vis. while we finally located the ledge that our search object should have been located along, the viz was so horrendous we decided to wait for better viz or changed lake levels (if it goes down much more I can wade for it :wink:

While it was great to get in the water again with Jared,I hope the diving on Barstows side of WP was a little nicer. I hung out with pup a while longer and then headed up to meet some other folks out near jonestown. Saw Jareds group headed out to WP while I was on way out, so he should have some better diving to report.

Here is the profile...

HA the profile is great.....
Windy point on friday started out great... Mostly because no students were there and maybe 4 other dives in the park. Went down and saw the pinto, we where about to give up looking for it because of the temperature down there, 66 degrees, but then we found it. Swim along at 50ish ft until the scuba diver then swim back at like 30ish ft seeing just about every thing in the park. The next morning jumped in the pool before a majority of the students got in and the viz was pretty good still. Again started at one end swim to the other about at 55 ft. The next two dives were following the dive shop and their students. Fun watching them and then following them.... err swimming in their clouds of muck. the last dive of the day went down to the far end near bob wentz and saw the recliner and a few tanks floating around. Starting collected bottles just about had one on each finger then decided that made for in interesting time to get out of the water. Found an old coke bottle that i kept... all the rest i left on the rocking horse. All and all over the weekend i got 8 dives in, had a fun time, saw some interesting people at the park.

Hope you have a good time down in the caymans Robert.

Jared

HA the profile is great.....
Windy point on friday started out great... Mostly because no students were there and maybe 4 other dives in the park. Went down and saw the pinto, we where about to give up looking for it because of the temperature down there, 66 degrees, but then we found it. Swim along at 50ish ft until the scuba diver then swim back at like 30ish ft seeing just about every thing in the park. The next morning jumped in the pool before a majority of the students got in and the viz was pretty good still. Again started at one end swim to the other about at 55 ft. The next two dives were following the dive shop and their students. Fun watching them and then following them.... err swimming in their clouds of muck. the last dive of the day went down to the far end near bob wentz and saw the recliner and a few tanks floating around. Starting collected bottles just about had one on each finger then decided that made for in interesting time to get out of the water. Found an old coke bottle that i kept... all the rest i left on the rocking horse. All and all over the weekend i got 8 dives in, had a fun time, saw some interesting people at the park.

Hope you have a good time down in the caymans Robert.

Jared

Hey Jared, sounds like the rest of your dives went better, nothing like a little vis :wink:
I ended up by lake much of weekend, did some swimming with Rocket and snorkeled a little up by Turkey Bend, but didn't get any more dives in :(

Thanks for the dive and catch you next time your down.

Matt

Back
Top Bottom