Looking for dive site advice in SE Wisconsin (Milwaukee area)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BrandonTL

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am a new diver (based on number of dives, I have been OW certified since 2020). Up until this point I have only been diving on vacations. I have recently purchased some equipment with the desire of diving locally so I can start to get a lot more experience and become a better diver. I am scheduled for my AOW toward the end of June, but I would like to get a few easy dives in (with my dive buddy who is at the same level as me and will be doing AOW with me). My thinking is that I would like to work on buoyancy, trim, planning, navigation, etc before AOW so I can go and sharpen my weak points in the class rather than just being introduced to it during the class.

I live in Milwaukee County (specifically Oak Creek). Is anyone from this area? Could you point me in the direction of some easy shore entry sites? I used to live in Racine and I know that people used to dive in the Racine Quarry Lake. I did a quick search for that on this site but the last post I could find about it was from 14 years ago so I don't know if it is still good information.

Basically I am just looking for a few places I can just jump in, without the cost of a boat, a crazy long drive or the risks of just jumping blindly into any random spot without knowing what I am getting into. If any of you could help I would be super grateful!

Another Milwaukee diver!

Underwater Connection in Menomonee Falls does "Wet Wednesday" once a month in one of the local inland lakes. My go-to practice spot is Lannon Quarry. Not too much to see for either one, but always good to get in the water.

The only shore diving site in Lake Michigan that I can think of is the Appomatox wreck in Shorewood. I have not been there, but want to check it out. Doing it as a shore dive would require perfect conditions and some kind of cart to get everything down the ramp and across the beach.

Jitka (Shipwreck Explorers) also has a ton of trips scheduled if you're not too opposed to boats 😋

I'm in Milwaukee until the end of July. Send me a PM if you want to dive

Check out Scuba Diving Wisconsin | 4seasonsscubadivers I'm pretty sure they dive every week, and may be loosely affilitated with Stillwater Diving in Delafield. I went ice diving with them several years ago. Lake Michigan is my preference in Milwaukee.

Another Milwaukee diver!

Underwater Connection in Menomonee Falls does "Wet Wednesday" once a month in one of the local inland lakes. My go-to practice spot is Lannon Quarry. Not too much to see for either one, but always good to get in the water.

The only shore diving site in Lake Michigan that I can think of is the Appomatox wreck in Shorewood. I have not been there, but want to check it out. Doing it as a shore dive would require perfect conditions and some kind of cart to get everything down the ramp and across the beach.

Jitka (Shipwreck Explorers) also has a ton of trips scheduled if you're not too opposed to boats 😋

Thanks for the suggestions! Also, not opposed to boats at all, I prefer them :). Just that if I only do boat dives, the cost will reduce the amount of time I spend in the water.

Here is the link for Wet Wednesdays at Underwater Connection in case anyone else read that and was interested. Looks fun. For starters though I want to get in without a group so I can just sit in one spot at my own pace and work on some of my skill. I think I will definitely do some dives with them soon though!

Check out Scuba Diving Wisconsin | 4seasonsscubadivers I'm pretty sure they dive every week, and may be loosely affilitated with Stillwater Diving in Delafield. I went ice diving with them several years ago. Lake Michigan is my preference in Milwaukee.
Thanks for sharing the link to the diver's club. Exactly the kind of thing I am looking for!

Thanks! I wonder why it didn't come up when I searched for SE Wisconsin Divers... When I searched for SE Wisconsin Scuba, I found it (I think). Is this the one you are referring to? I joined.
Yes, that’s the one.

Another Milwaukee diver!

I am looking at doing a Lake Michigan roadtrip in late june and was interested in the Appomattox dive as a shore dive! Does anyone have any more information about the site? If anyone is interested, some company would be nice too!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom