Jon Lines & clips

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jonnythan:
I've seen dozens of carabiners with broken gate springs (many wire gates avoid this by using the wire as the spring), but never a bolt snap. And if you can break the button off a steel bolt snap, I'm impressed... but hey, that's why you should use nylon line to tie everything to anything made of metal. If the opening mechanism fails and you need to disconnect, you cut the line.
I haven't actually even seen a steel bolt clip -- just brass. Perhaps that's why I've seen broken buttons. :)

I use a piece of Petzl "string" on nylon webbing for my console -- I'll upload a pic later.

KrisB:
I haven't actually even seen a steel bolt clip -- just brass. Perhaps that's why I've seen broken buttons. :)

I use a piece of Petzl "string" on nylon webbing for my console -- I'll upload a pic later.

I try as hard as possible to stay away from brass, it corrodes too easily..

Alo be aware that cheap SS snaps usually have no ss springs..

Here si a good source for quality snaps

http://216.36.250.99/nixdogcollars/Page_5.html

padiscubapro:
I try as hard as possible to stay away from brass, it corrodes too easily..
Also be aware that cheap SS snaps usually have no ss springs..
The second part may be true, but what are you comparing brass with, titanium, Hastalloy, incoloy???

In a sea water environment Brass is far suprieor in corrsion resisitance to SS, It doesnt look as shiney tho after a few dunkings, but that is just a surface coating

Why do you think Propellors are a brass alloy rather than a Stainless Steel based material. how many brass artifacts have you got compared with SS ones?

Albion:
The second part may be true, but what are you comparing brass with, titanium, Hastalloy, incoloy???

In a sea water environment Brass is far suprieor in corrsion resisitance to SS, It doesnt look as shiney tho after a few dunkings, but that is just a surface coating

Why do you think Propellors are a brass alloy rather than a Stainless Steel based material. how many brass artifacts have you got compared with SS ones?
I dunno about the mettalurgy, but I've seen broken brass bolt snaps and my brass snaps have always gotten grindy and stuck feeling after not an awful lot of immersion, whereas all of my stainless steel ones are shiny and remain smooth.

Albion:

Could it be cuz brass is cheaper? I dunno, if you're GUE or DIR, they prefer SS, I believe. Besides, it matches all my other hardware .... :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom