Jon line

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bronte

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
So, I love Dive Rite gear, but couldn’t face parting with $40 for a Jon line. Decided to make my own, very simple build. Found a similar carabiner (~$12), and 1” webbing on Amazon. There is another carabiner that more closely matches the DR version, but it was around $26, figured the difference wasn’t worth it.

Added a quick release clip that I had lying around to the other end, in case I want to clip off to a d-ring, and built in a hand loop just above that, because, why not :). Overall length is about 7 feet, wraps up pretty small. Tied off a bungee loop so that when you lift the carabiner, it just slides off. Will test underwater to make sure it doesn’t tangle.

AB418810-A846-4F55-B7C7-53E185945CBC.jpeg

9244B76C-FBCE-4D0E-A68C-D8E01F5B5567.jpeg

Looks good, Just be sure to watch out for the Working Load on the carabiner a lot of the cheap one have little to no working load.

Good point. From what was shared in the description, WL is around 1560 lbs for the 3/8th, but will definitely keep an eye on it. Just cos it’s written that way doesn’t mean it was manufactured that way….

416+11eo3JL._AC_.jpg

Hi @Bronte

I have very rarely been in a situation where a Jon line would used, perhaps your diving is quite different. The Jon lines I have seen have had a clip rather than a carabiner. I guess there is no risk of a carabiner sliding up the line if it is quite angled in brisk current?
upload_2021-8-7_16-55-19.png

Hi @Bronte

I have very rarely been in a situation where a Jon line would used, perhaps your diving is quite different. The Jon lines I have seen have had a clip rather than a carabiner. I guess there is no risk of a carabiner sliding up the line if it is quite angled in brisk current?
View attachment 675119
The carabiners can absolutely slide. In those situations I have seen folks do a friction wrap or two with the webbing/line around the anchor line and then clip the carabiner back onto the jon line itself. It works, but can be a PITA to unhook with one hand in current when managing bottles and a scooter, etc. A lot of us use the Garvin clips instead. Mine is a homemade affair with a Garvin clip on one end and a large bolt snap on the other.

Hi @scubadada , thanks for the reply! Small world - I used to live in Philly, and just moved to the Pompano Beach area. Couldn’t handle another winter. I’m not doing spectacularly technical dives atm :) , mostly drift down here in south FL, and probably some Keys wrecks later this year. Mostly just wanted something I can use if I’m tired or there are a lot of bods hanging on the line in current, or just as a ‘crap-it-would-be-handy-to-have-a-line-to-do-xyz’

Hi @scubadada , thanks for the reply! Small world - I used to live in Philly, and just moved to the Pompano Beach area. Couldn’t handle another winter. I’m not doing spectacularly technical dives atm :) , mostly drift down here in south FL, and probably some Keys wrecks later this year. Mostly just wanted something I can use if I’m tired or there are a lot of bods hanging on the line in current, or just as a ‘crap-it-would-be-handy-to-have-a-line-to-do-xyz’
We've had a townhouse just north of Boynton since 2011, do a lot of diving in Boynton, Jupiter, and West Palm

Hi @O-ring , thanks for the insights. Wish I had a scooter to manage!
It will probably work just fine for you as is. I doubt DiveRite would make them that way if they didn't work for the majority of folks. I started out with one that had a giant bolt snap on each end before moving to the Garvin clip. Like everything, give it a shot and see how it works out. Then adjust as needed. :)

Back
Top Bottom