Jon line

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't like webbing as if the up line has any appreciable amount of scope and/or it is bouncing, webbing can/will slip up the line. So you end up either repositioning it all the time or just going back to holding the up line. Good nylon rope will grip into the up line much better. Poly line will slip the worst.

Finger spool line will also grip real well, but to use spool line for any length of time, you have to clip off the spool to a D-ring. Try holding spool line by hand and it will cut into you real quick. Cliping off is fine right up till the time you have to get off the line real quick.

I make my eye splices large enough so that I can work them with 1/4" mits on and so that I can move it around my hand and arm. If I need to use both hands for something I move the eye so that it hooks at my elbow with my elbow bent at 90 degrees.

Thanks to all for the input. I'm going to construct one myself with line and bolt snaps.

Use 8 to 10 feet if 3/16" three strand nylon line and put an eye splice in each end that is large enough to put your hand through with the largest glove on that you usually use. Cost per Jon line will be less then $4 each.

Here is how to make an eye splice

The Eye Splice

They also work as rigging lines for a lift bag, just wrap it around the bag or fold into the bag already cliped off to the bag's bolt snap.

Jon Lines need to be cheap so that you can abandon them if needed

To use on an anchor line, just loop one end around the anchor line and through the other eye.

If I know the surface will be lumpy or have a current I will rig the Jon line on the bottom and just move it up as I ascend.

Thanks for the suggestion. FWIW, I have tried the line and splicing you described, and just tested in the water. Overall, it kind of worked and was cheap. It might work better with a thicker line (like 3/8") which I might try.

Net, I am not sure this is better than the alternatives I have tried with some success, including:

1) knotting a 3/16" braided polyester line (the same line you use for stage rigging), or
2) stitching a 1" nylon webbing loop, and place it in a velcro pouch (like the OMS pouch that I think is still available).

Thanks for the thought, though. Dive safe

I went with a long dog leash with stainless steel carabiner on each end. One is big enough that it should go around any anchor rope and be able to slide up or down if it's rough.
Haven't really tested it out yet, but it's with me on all dives for when I do need it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom