Jon line

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Finger spools make good jon lines as well, and you can easily adjust the amount of line that you let out to get away from the crowd.

Jeff

1 inch nylon webbing......attach to a snap bolt and hook.....in middle I attached a clip so I could extend it from 3 ft to 9 ft depending on amount of people and room at the hang and attached velcro to wrap it up and keep it neat while diving.....easy to make and inexpensive....fits in pocket or clipped to rig
100_0462.jpg

Walter,
I still have my buddy line you gave each of us in the wreck class you conducted in Deerfield Beach in July of 2002. Still carry it and have used it many times... Thanks. :palmtree: Bob

So do I....and the t-shirt.

So do I....and the t-shirt.

I still have my t -shirt also. :D It's one of my prized possessions. If I remember correctly Herman, you and I did our practice reel work together at the motel. The group picture for the original Wreckmania class can be seen here. http://www.geocities.com/wreckmania/ :palmtree: Bob

I believe that the simplest solution is usually the best and safest because one does away with excessive failure points. The way that I do it is to use a length of nylon
rope (maybe 5mm) tied in a loop of whatever length you want, wrapped 3 times around the up (or anchor) line and clipped to your chest D ring with a carabiner or
bolt snap. This knot was developed in the 1930s by a German by the name of Dr. Karl Prussick. It is used on a rope of greater diameter than itself to ascend that rope. Nowadays this knot has been replaced in mountaineering circles by Jumars
or gibbs ascenders. It works like this..... Wrap the loop 3 times around your up
line and clip onto your chest D ring. Thats it. When pressure is applied it locks up,
when pressure is released it slips so that you can ascend or desend. I have used
this knot in technical climbing and diving for close to 50 yrs. (I hate revealing my age) and ...Well it works perfect. I cannot show how it looks, but if you want a
simple failproof jon line, then you might want to google "Prussick knot". Google will
show how to tie it. This can also be used to tow or in rescue work. Please don't
take this solution as just another idea with +s and -s this knot has saved
many climbers lives over the years.
PORBEAGLE :)

....in middle I attached a clip so I could extend it from 3 ft to 9 ft depending on amount of people and room at the hang

That's a great set-up - thanks.

Got me thinking; how about a stainless steel ring in the middle rather than the plastic clips. That way you can use the snap on the end to snap into the ring to shorten the line.

Like the velcro idea as well.

Henrik

The dog leash is the way to go. No work, no fuss and its nice and strong. Doubt it will fail. I love mine.

I am interested in getting or making a jon line. -Buy the Dive Rite with garvin hook; -buy the dive rite with the carabiner; -buy the OMS with the carabiner; -make one with 10 ft of line and a snap bolt at each end; -buy a heavy nylon dog leash
Personal preferences (any of the suggested approaches above will work, none are 'wrong'): 1. 1" nylon webbing, rather than dog leash. I find it a little lighter. It is available at many sporting goods stores (I buy mine at REI, in the climbing section). I have tried bungee cord (don't like it), and 3/8" non-elastic nylon cord (works fine, but I find holding a loop made of 1" webbing easier on my hands than holding a loop made from nylon cord); 2. Attachment to the ascent line. I like the Garvin hook. I have used bolt snaps, carabiners, and tied loops on the end (both ends) of the jon line. The Garvin hook is a bit more of a pain to stow (pockets are helpful) but once I bought one, I found I preferred it - slightly easier for me to disengage and move up an anchor line on ascent than a Prusik knot; I don't like carabiners or bolt snaps on the ascent line end - harder to get a stable attachment, depending on the upline material (e.g. link chain, vs 1-2" braided line, vs stranded cable). However, I haven't used a Garvin hook jon line to tow another diver; 3. Attachment on the diver end - I prefer a loop on the diver end, which I hold onto with my hand. I have clipped myself to an ascent line with a bolt snap, or carabiner (works, but not a great idea under certain potential circumstances) when I wanted my hands free (e.g. changing deco bottles, taking pictures, changing gases on a computer).

Try making your own jon line, rather than buying. It is inexpensive to make, will give you a sense of accomplishment, and it is fun to tinker and tweak, to see what works for you.

Finger spools make good jon lines as well, and you can easily adjust the amount of line that you let out to get away from the crowd.

Jeff

I haven't done that many current hangs, but I have used the spool and it worked great. It's not so great at moving up from one stop to the next, but worked fine for the 20' hang. I loved being able to get away from the crowd as far as I wanted, and a spool is something I always have, so I can use it for lifting, towing, a Jon line, whatever, and keep the contents of my pockets down.

Jeff

We couldn't use finger spools (at least consistently) on the east coast. Lots of current and swell against cave line on an encrusted anchor line is a recipe for disaster. In a pinch or as a back-up, sure. But I couldn't use one as a primary solution.

Back
Top Bottom