Jon line

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Artimas

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I am interested in getting or making a jon line. I'd appreciate suggestions and advice.

The following have been suggested to me:

-Buy the Dive Rite with garvin hook
-buy the dive rite with the carabiner
-buy the OMS with the carabiner
-make one with 10 ft of line and a snap bolt at each end
-buy a heavy nylon dog leash

Other than the Garvin hook, I'm not sure how to attach the others to the ascent line.

Thanks!

[FONT=&quot]You can purchase about10 feet of bungee cord, 2 brass snaps, and about a half a dozen or so of wire ties. Attach one snap at each end of the bungee cord with the wire ties and ensure that it is tight. Snap the bungee to yourself and the anchor line, and you’re clipped on to the line. I used something similar on my boat for a different job so make sure you test it out first. I don't believe that they are very expensive, in terms of scuba gear that is.[/FONT]

Is there any problem with eliminating the zip ties and using a strong knot to attach the snaps to the bungie cord?

I'm thinking an end of the line bowline would be stronger than the zip ties as their small plastic teeth are not meant to take the thrashing of a diver in current/swells attached to an anchor line.

I made one this way but haven't tested it out yet.

Dog leash is a great idea, especially if the bolt snap is sewn into the the nylon. Essentially, wrap the leash around the line, pass the clip through the loop, pull it tight, and you are tied in. Then just clip the bolt snap to your crotch d-ring and you are good to go. I have the Gavin hook but I am going to switch to a dog leash. You really want to limit the amount of failure points on the thing. I wouldn't want to tie off in current with a jon line that has a bunch of zip ties holding it together or cave line on bolt snaps. If that sucker breaks you can find yourself in some intersting places (usually a looooonnnng way away from the boat) especially with a long deco obligation over your head. The simpler the better.

I use a buddy line as a jon line. Polypropylene line (3/8 inch) with a loop on each end. The loop is spliced (easy with poly) and secured with a zip tie through the center of the line. To secure it for use as a jon line, wrap it around the up line, pull the end through the loop and pull it tight. Works like a charm. For those that like a snap bolt, thread one on when you're making the splice.

The advantage to using a buddy line is it has many uses, as a jon line, as a buddy line, to tow a conscious diver during a rescue, etc. A line designed as a jon line is not as easy to use for other things. I keep a buddy line in my pocket on every dive.

I's also nice that the line is extremely cheap. Three hundred feet will run you $21.00. You can get smaller amounts in hardware stores. It's so cheap I make the lines and give them to folks in my dive club.

I use a buddy line as a jon line. Polypropylene line (3/8 inch) with a loop on each end. The loop is spliced (easy with poly) and secured with a zip tie through the center of the line. To secure it for use as a jon line, wrap it around the up line, pull the end through the loop and pull it tight. Works like a charm. For those that like a snap bolt, thread one on when you're making the splice.

The advantage to using a buddy line is it has many uses, as a jon line, as a buddy line, to tow a conscious diver during a rescue, etc. A line designed as a jon line is not as easy to use for other things. I keep a buddy line in my pocket on every dive.

I's also nice that the line is extremely cheap. Three hundred feet will run you $21.00. You can get smaller amounts in hardware stores. It's so cheap I make the lines and give them to folks in my dive club.

Walter,
I still have my buddy line you gave each of us in the wreck class you conducted in Deerfield Beach in July of 2002. Still carry it and have used it many times... Thanks. :palmtree: Bob

If you do not have a bolt snap on the end, how do you attach it to yourself? or do you just use it around your wrist?

Put your wrist through the loop and hold the line. You can easily put in a snap bolt. I used to have a snap bolt on mine which I rarely used, but a buddy dropped it to the bottom, I didn't find it. Without the bolt, poly floats.

Bob, we should go dive a few wrecks together soon.

Bob, we should go dive a few wrecks together soon.

I agree. We should get together and dive very soon. :palmtree: Bob

Use 8 to 10 feet if 3/16" three strand nylon line and put an eye splice in each end that is large enough to put your hand through with the largest glove on that you usually use. Cost per Jon line will be less then $4 each.

Here is how to make an eye splice

The Eye Splice

They also work as rigging lines for a lift bag, just wrap it around the bag or fold into the bag already cliped off to the bag's bolt snap.

Jon Lines need to be cheap so that you can abandon them if needed

To use on an anchor line, just loop one end around the anchor line and through the other eye.

If I know the surface will be lumpy or have a current I will rig the Jon line on the bottom and just move it up as I ascend.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom