Joe Pool Lake

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Debraw

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I was going to dive out at Joe Pool Lake this weekend but I got this notice from the local marina.

SPECIAL NOTICE
DAWSON ENGINEERING WILL BE DOING SEISMOGRAPH SOUNDING IN JOE POOL LAKE FOR THE NEXT SEVERAL WEEKS AND THERE WILL BE UNDERWATER CABLES IN THE LAKE. IN ORDER TO PREVENT POSSIBLE PROP DAMAGE TO YOU BOAT,DO NOT GO WITHIN 30' OF WHITE FLAGGED BOUYS

So bummed! I had a plan all worked out to dive the party cove with two other divers and try and recover assorted items. Maybe some other time.....

I don't know what is exactly involved in under water seismography but the description you gave doesn't sound like it precludes diving. The danger mentioned is in regards to prop damage from entanglement, I suppose. I wouldn't think a diver would have any difficulty avoiding the cables.

I don't know what is exactly involved in under water seismography but the description you gave doesn't sound like it precludes diving. The danger mentioned is in regards to prop damage from entanglement, I suppose. I wouldn't think a diver would have any difficulty avoiding the cables.

Remember a few years back when this was done up at Lake Murray, Ok.. We had no issues with the eqpt. that was on the lake.

Now just don't get that prop from your DPV to close! :shocked2:

I live 10 minutes from Joe Pool and have never desired to dive that lake. Now the treasure hunting does sound fun-- hmmm.

I live a bit further than 10 minutes, but no big deal to head out there for treasure hunting if there is room for more. I can't make it the next two weeks, but possibly sometime after that?

Honestly svnipp, With you being a brand new diver and all, I would not recommend Joe Pool for you. It won't be any fun. Visibility at Joe Pool must be about 6 inches or so. It's possible to dive in black water conditions but most people either hate it or they are not capable of doing it.
I am not sure that I am capable of doing it.

So where is Joe Pool? 6 inches does not sound like fun but it does sound like a challenge...... Of course I would hate to drive what could be a few hours to attempt to dive, find out I don't like it and then resurface after only a few min haha.

I can see the challenge in it, but being so new to the sport, I feel it is important to crawl successfully first. I'll be sticking to CSSP and Lake Travis (not been there yet) for some time. The last thing I want to do is get into a situation that shakes not only my confidence, but enthusiasm.

That being said, I would love to hear about the trip once you all return.

OK. I'm convinced. Thanks for the advice, and I couldn't agree more actually. I know that 15' vis is a long way from the 50+ that I had snorkeling in the Bahamas, but something significantly less than arm's length sure doesn't sound good to me now. Have fun, and good luck with the treasure hunting. Be sure to post a haul of the loot. I'm definitely curious.

The last time I dove Joe Pool, vis was so poor that I couldn't read my guages when I held them up to my mask.

I was kind of like diving in a milkshake.

Back
Top Bottom