Question Anyone else get fully certified in a swimming pool?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
Doc

Doc

Was RoatanMan
Rest in Peace
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Chicago & O'Hare heading thru TSA 5x per year
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Certifications completed in a pool, Anyone? Buehler?

[similar to the various threads out there asking for ‘roll calls’ of other holders of antique cert cards]

In 1969 i was 16, and after using primitive SCUBA-ish gear for a 10 years prior, my Mom noticed that a local guy from Lake Forest Illinois (guess who) was doing a thing called ”certifications”. I did not really want to bother because previously at age of 6, a guy named Bridges had already put a double hose mouthpiece in my maw and i put my face down and stared at his white Jantzen suit and Voit Duckfoot flippers. Then, after 10 more years of thrashing around in Northern Illinois lakes, why do I need a certification? Mom prevailed, I went to SCUBA school.

It was January and the lakes were a bit crusted over, so PADI rules of that era allowed for “exceptions due to local conditions”. That 8’ deep pool was going to be the accepted deviation.

In that day, we used the Joe Strykowski book as the (only) manual along with the standard Navy tables to predict our demise. No BCD, octopus, or SPG… just a J-Valve, luck and common sense. I still have a 3” thick copy of the USN Diving Manual. When it warmed up, we went to Racine Quarry and 3 Little Devils, Fontana, all in beautiful Wisconsin. Then Lake Michigan wreck diving. We survived.

This pool exception surely is not the currently accepted model for certification. It also included pretty serious UW harassment exercises, breathing straight off a tank nipple just to show mental/physical control, calisthenics in full rubber and tanks/lead. Dive in and find your full gear set. A small bit of BUDS type hilarity.

I finished my OW and since I’d been sucking compressed air since 1958 at age 6, the offer of AOW a week later caught my attention. They even turned off all the lights in the pool, I think for navigation skills?

Thus, I did my OW and AOW in a pool during a few ‘dives’ over a few weeks.

It worked in my case.

Anybody else?
1F2C0828-AB29-4D42-930A-534BD846952D.jpeg
7C1518DF-9222-420F-A9BE-8BF566E7F2B3.jpeg
1BA79C14-3E92-4406-B844-C398C2BB295B.jpeg

To be fair I feel like homestead crater is just a swimming pool…

Who are we to judge if Archimedes principal was discovered in a bathtub? I have no doubt that his is buoyancy control was a lot better than a lot of new divers since he actually understood the concept.

Who are we to judge if Archimedes principal was discovered in a bathtub? I have no doubt that his is buoyancy control was a lot better than a lot of new divers since he actually understood the concept.
I am the last person to judge! Heck I had my wife do her open water for the simple fact its warm and less stressful compared to a open ocean/lake! But how its able to be considered OW I have no idea!

It also included pretty serious UW harassment exercises, breathing straight off a tank nipple just to show mental/physical control, .... A small bit of BUDS type hilarity.

Same book in 1974, but this caught my eye. We got our asses kicked during the "harassment" drills. 3 instructors attacking the students in the deep end/diving well of a pool. Right out of BUDS (allegedly, my instructor had gone to BUDS?)

My dive buddy (next week at CoCoView) sent me a picture of his 1969 PADI card.

It was plain thick paper, no picture, written in (now faded) handwriting. Although it does bear a number, PADI has no record of his “skin and scuba diver” capabilities.

Mickey’s C Card:

83F299C0-F38E-474D-A0CE-ADC80934AD67.jpeg

Mike also wishes to ad that he did his cert dives in Racine Wisconsin Quarry and that didn’t have no damned dry suits, no sir, cowboy-up in your 3/8” wetsuit and get on with it.

Mickey’s C Card:

83F299C0-F38E-474D-A0CE-ADC80934AD67.jpeg

Interesting, the ballpoint ink on my first card from 1962 also faded to almost nothing. It is also printed on card stock. I carried it in my wallet for about 12 years.

1962 Cert.jpg

This was issued before any of the Southern California training agencies got a foothold in the San Francisco East Bay area so my instructor just invented the design.

Reactions: Doc
back when i first trained 1967 only way was ymca and it was all pool work. Triple buddy breathing on a two hose was fun. Written tests were essay questions such as define embolism etc. Loved it no open water dives though

I self taught in the early 60's, got YMCA cert in 1970, swimming pool only.

Hello all,
This is my first ever post on scubaBoard. I did not know where best to post so here it is.
I did my OW on Cozumel in 1992 with a person who was doing her AOW. It was all done in saltwater and three of the four 5-hour days were done off a boat. All dives were 30' plus and the deepest dive was 55'. I have always considered my certification quite good based on my experiences and discussions with others who were certified elsewhere. No computers, no mixed gas but very thorough. I have had no formal advanced certification since but have always been meticulous about my gear. I have north of 80 dives. We live in land locked TN so a lot of Gulf of Mexico dives and quarry dives where there are lots of structures and some serious thermo-clines. Several blackwater dives to recover lost items in Kentucky lake and a few dives for law enforcement for equipment/body recovery (yea). Several night-dives. We have done two live aboard trips and my deepest dive was a planned wall dive to 213'. All on oxygen. Two-tank decompress with three stops, so the deco was quite a bit longer than the bottom time.
I have zero experience with mixed gasses.
I had been out of the water for about 6 years and we recently went to Puerto Rico where I did a shallow dive (25' with current) in San Juan and a 2-tank boat dive in Culebra. Zero problems other than bouncing up and down too much on the shallow dive to keep my ears cleared. I was following the divemaster so, what do you do? Good dives, but all on the Atlantic side so visibility was just okay. Naturally, this 58-year old has the 'fever' again.
So, what would be everyone's suggestions going forward? I am strictly a recreational diver. No more blackwater or recovery dives. Not into photography. I love the water and diving, but I am not traveling nearly as much these days and my dives will be limited and sporadic.
I see that PADI now has quite a few online courses. How do they rate for review and staying conversant on skills? Being strictly recreational, how much value does learning mixed gasses have? It will be about 2 more months before the quarries around here to warm up enough to do a comfortable 30-minute dive without a dry suit so I would like to get some study time in before then.
Thanks for any advise.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom